Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS MAY GAMES THREAD
Don't tell me let me guess, Castillo got rocked....again
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Reds Cleveland Series a Split due to Postponed Due To Rain.

Todays Sunday game will be played August 9th.

So in last 4 series, Reds beat Dodgers, Beat Cubs, 2 game split with White Sox, 2 game split with Indians.

NO GAME TODAY ON SUNDAY. ...RAIN
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Winker looking like a lock for an All-Star appearance and a Silver Slugger right now. Might be chasing an MVP if the Reds can make the postseason.

He was already leading the NL in BA and OPS coming into yesterday and then he goes 3-4 with 2 doubles and a HR and is now leading the NL in SLG as well.

2021 Line: .374/.432/.682 (1.114 OPS)

Is that good? It seems good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Reds go for series win over Pirates today with Sonny Gray on the mound. This would be a huge win or a huge loss because a win today would make it weeks since Reds lost a series. Going back to Reds winning series at LA Dodgers in April. Reds need to keep the not losing series streak going.

You don't have to wait until September to have a Key Game. Todays Pirates game deciding if Reds win or lose this series is a Key Game.

Fans sometimes go TV Wrestling of game fights, suspensions, stare down contests....but in the end, it is winning series during the season that decides if team is any good or not. Fans also get all excited about Reds scoring 15 runs in one game or something, but again THE KEY is to Win The Series.

Hopefully Sonny Gray is BACK and can help WIN TODAY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 08:32 AM)kevin Wrote: Reds go for series win over Pirates today with Sonny Gray on the mound.  This would be a huge win or a huge loss because a win today would make it weeks since Reds lost a series. Going back to Reds winning series at LA Dodgers in April.  Reds need to keep the not losing series streak going.

You don't have to wait until September to have a Key Game.  Todays Pirates game deciding if Reds win or lose this series is a Key Game.

Fans sometimes go TV Wrestling of game fights, suspensions, stare down contests....but in the end, it is winning series during the season that decides if team is any good or not.  Fans also get all excited about Reds scoring 15 runs in one game or something, but again THE KEY is to Win The Series.

Hopefully Sonny Gray is BACK and can help WIN TODAY.

The only bad game he's really had was against the Cards and even that wasn't terrible. It just seems that way because when he pitches the offense hasn't shown up for him to this point.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2021, 08:53 AM)cinci4life Wrote: The only bad game he's really had was against the Cards and even that wasn't terrible. It just seems that way because when he pitches the offense hasn't shown up for him to this point.

He was pretty bad in his first start back against Cleveland as well since he only went 4.1 innings. Just got lucky that the bullpen somehow managed to pitch 5.2 scoreless innings (that was the game Votto saved Amir Garrett from blowing the game with a triple play) so the Reds could win it in the 10th.

Reply/Quote
What I meant was Sonny Gray back from injury and showing he is healthy.

Gray gave up 1 run in 4.2 innings, and Cahill gave up 1 run in 5 innings. Antone on to get final out in 5th.

1 to 1 score, winning series will come down to bullpens and clutch hitting.

Gray had 4 wild pitches, and did not have his best stuff, but worked through it.

Cahill still in the 6th, at around 70 pitches...Whoops, Manager pulls him at 74 pitches...Both out of Tie Ballgame in a Tied Series. That may backfire, Cahill was making fast work of Reds bats.

Still 1 to 1 at 7 inning stretch. Antone out of game. Doolittle on. Blows away best Pirates hitters.

Top of 8th....Come on Reds Bats, WAKE UP....don't tell me you scored all your runs Monday....Win This Series.

Reds no runs in 8th. Sims on to pitch. Reds getting runners on, just no RBI's. Reds are out of pinch hitters. Pirates have to be low on bullpen. Could this be a runner on second extra innings ? May be only way one of these teams can win.

1 to 1 to start the 9th...WAKE UP Reds Bats.....Reds strand another base runner.....Pirates bat bottom 9th, chance for walk off win. Sims mow's them down.

OK, Reds get a free man on 2nd in 10th. Have to get him in. WINKER KNOCKS IN GHOST RUNNER SENZEL. REDS LEAD.

Suarez hits gapper double with bases loaded, all 3 score....Now 5 to 1 in 10th.

Pirates at bat. Lets end this. Both teams out of players. End this thing. Hembree on to pitch. Sims could get the Win.

REDS WIN SERIES.....REDS WIN SERIES......Reds have not lost a series in weeks. Not since beating LA Dodgers in April.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Gonna need Gray to get it together. He's failed to go even 5 IP in 3 of his 5 starts so far.

In 2019 he only did it 4 times in 31 starts. At some point you need to eat some innings, too. (He's also thrown 13 wild pitches in his last 16 starts. He led the NL in 2020 and he's leading again in 2021 despite only having 5 starts.)

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gonna need Gray to get it together. He's failed to go even 5 IP in 3 of his 5 starts so far.

In 2019 he only did it 4 times in 31 starts. At some point you need to eat some innings, too. (He's also thrown 13 wild pitches in his last 16 starts. He led the NL in 2020 and he's leading again in 2021 despite only having 5 starts.)

Not to mention Castillo, who's getting rocked ......... again
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gonna need Gray to get it together. He's failed to go even 5 IP in 3 of his 5 starts so far.

Gray has only had 1 bad game against the Cards giving up 5 runs. That's the only game he's given up more than 2 runs. Like i said before it just seems worse because the offense hasn't shown up when he pitches.
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about Gray. In Fantasy Baseball I have him on many teams, He is back from injury, but well worth having.

However Castillo stinks. I wouldn't trade my worst player for Castillo. It's not just a couple bad games. Castillo has stunk all season and he stunk a lot in 2020. Bauer, Gray and Disco carried Reds in 2020, but Castillo was not that good.

Something is wrong with Castillo. Well, his big problem may be attitude. He doesn't challenge hitters. He doesn't pound that first strike in. He falls behind on counts. Bob Gibson had a mean attitude. It was his mound and his game. He got after the hitters. Castillo on the other hand is all smiles and playful on the mound. He nibbles and nibbles falling behind on all the hitters.

Right now Castillo is worst pitcher on Reds, and if he was younger he would deserve being sent back to The Minors. That is how bad Castillo is. It's not just a couple games. Castillo stinks every game now. I don't know if he is smoking that funny stuff, or what it is, but he has lost his Edge. Everything is all smiles to him as he never challenges the hitters and goes after them. He has good stuff, but he plays around on the mound too much. He is TOO happy go lucky. Whatever he had been doing right in his good years, he has lost it.

Gray back from injury will get stretched out and get his innings back. Gray has good stuff except when he does the Castillo imitation pitch. Castillo stinks and is nobody to imitate.

Castillo is one of the worst pitchers in baseball, and has been all season and into last season. That is bad news for the Reds. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Can he turn his game around ? Reds better hope so.

Gray on the mound is an intense worker like Tom Seaver was. Castillo is the opposite, just doesn't seem focused anymore. As if he is on a beach in the islands. Too laid back, No edge. All great pitchers have had that edge, and Castillo no longer has it. Announcers have mentioned him not going after hitters anymore. Castillo has turned into one of worst pitchers in baseball. It is why I refused to draft him in 2021 Fantasy, because I saw too much bad Castillo games in 2020.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Miley takes the mound now after his No Hitter. Hopefully Reds can even this 4 game series at Colorado at 1 to 1. Mahle and Hoffman the other starters.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Seriously, what has happened to Castillo? This is an absolutely horrendous start to the season.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 11:14 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Gray has only had 1 bad game against the Cards giving up 5 runs. That's the only game he's given up more than 2 runs. Like i said before it just seems worse because the offense hasn't shown up when he pitches.

Any game where the starter can't even go at least 5 innings is a bad game, no matter how many runs you give up. Otherwise you are just a glorified long relief pitcher who is going to kill the bullpen because now you have 4.2 innings from Gray, 3.2 from Castillo, and Hoffman later. Going to kill your bullpen arms.

Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 08:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Seriously, what has happened to Castillo? This is an absolutely horrendous start to the season.

Everything he throws below the waist is an off speed pitch. Most all of his fast balls are eye high. If he gets it down at all it's still shoulder high. Batters have his number. His ERA is now 7.71, opposing batters have a .344 BA against him ! I saw a stat during game yesterday that opponents were batting like .450 against him in 1st inning.

At some point, soon, they have to do something. Put him in the bullpen ?
Reply/Quote
Reds fell behind early and I'm not staying up to watch Midnight Baseball if Reds this far behind. This series looks rocky in The Rockies. Hopefully we don't get Swept.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
So Reds won in 12 innings Saturday Night and avoided being Swept. I didn't watch it.

I will watch today on Sunday. It's a Sunday afternoon Game, which I like. Plus Reds are trying to Ties the Series. Reds haven't lost a series since they won Dodgers series in April. Winning todays game keeps that streak alive. If Reds win today, nobody can say they are playing bad, not if they haven't lost a series in 3 weeks or so. Splitting a 4 game series is OK, it's hard to win 3 out of 4.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2021, 09:01 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Everything he throws below the waist is an off speed pitch. Most all of his fast balls are eye high. If he gets it down at all it's still shoulder high. Batters have his number. His ERA is now 7.71, opposing batters have a .344 BA against him ! I saw a stat during game yesterday that opponents were batting like .450 against him in 1st inning.

At some point, soon, they have to do something. Put him in the bullpen ?

Need to send him down for a start or two and let him build his confidence back up.

It worked out well for Roy Halladay who had a similar spot of just getting rocked after he'd appeared in 57 games with the Blue Jays. They sent him to single A ball and he came back with a new focus and a hall of fame career.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I'll be glad to be rid of this umpire crew. The strike zone all series has been brutal moreso towards the Reds.
Reply/Quote
Great comeback and hard fought series split.
Reply/Quote