Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REDS SHOULD TRY TO TRADE JOEY VOTTO
I love Votto. he is putting together a Hall of Fame career.

That being said I would be willing to trade him if we got a boatload of young talent in return, but the fact is we would probably just get some prospects who might pan out or might not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I love Votto.  he is putting together a Hall of Fame career.

That being said I would be willing to trade him if we got a boatload of young talent in return, but the fact is we would probably just get some prospects who might pan out or might not.

Yeah.  It's not like we've been striking gold over and over from all the trades so far.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I love Votto.  he is putting together a Hall of Fame career.

Well, that's pretty much any trade for prospects, really.  All of them are question marks until they get a nice sample size of big league playing time.  

They are, however, what a team like the Reds needs badly.  They obviously don't feel like they have the resources to reload via free agency with proven MLB talent.  If they are going to have a run of good years, they need to have several good, young players under team control on affordable deals for a cluster of years.  That's the only chance they have.  Acquiring near MLB ready talent will always come with risk, but it's a game they have to play at this point if they can.

I 100 percent agree with you on Votto.  If you can get a ton of near-MLB tent for him plus some relief from his salary, you have to do it if he'll accept the trade.  Other than that, I think he's possibly the greatest Reds of my lifetime, maybe even better than Larkin.  I'll hate to see him go if he does.
Reply/Quote
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to baseball and especially towards great players who have stuck around with the team when they clearly could have gone to literally any team and demanded the highest salary ever. (not that he's ever going to the poor house) Nah, you keep guys like Votto for the long term and if you take the gamble with trading him and the trade goes south for any reason you lose a generation of fans who will never return . It's just not worth the gamble . Keep him around till he retires and  be thrilled you ever had him on the team even if he's 50 and hitting .178..  You sound like the guys who would gladly sell off your parents and grandparents legacies and generations of toil and hard work to get a pretty fast car that you take out and wreck a year later with no insurance .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote