Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Josh Tupou and Isaiah Prince Opt-out
(08-01-2020, 10:54 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This just reeks of a Marv move. Bring back the guys your comfortable with. Would rather go for Snack Harrison or Mike Daniels or hell anyone not from the Marv era. Let move on and not bring anyone back that we moved on from.

Green, Dunlap, and Atkins all played during the "Marv Era".  You want to get rid of all of them too?  How about we bring back the best players we can and not let an obsessive hatred of Marvin Lewis taint our judgement?

I have no idea how much gas Peko has left in the tank.  I'd only bring him back if he was still capable of contributing.  But the fact is that he may be more willing to return here tha other players because he has connections to the area.  Also he was supposedly a pretty solid locker room presence.  It is always good for young players to see what a guy has to do to play D-line for 15 years in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 11:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I mean, if you're gonna get all pissy over a guy who will literally get 200 snaps or less, then you should really worry about other things.

I am not pissy. I am stating my opinion which the message bored is for. He may only get 200 snaps but wouldnt you rather have someone more productive foe those 200 snaps or are you ok with 6-7 yards a carry on those 200. And if you are so worried about what others opinions are you really should worry about other things
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 09:42 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Green, Dunlap, and Atkins all played during the "Marv Era".  You want to get rid of all of them too?  How about we bring back the best players we can and not let an obsessive hatred of Marvin Lewis taint our judgement?

I have no idea how much gas Peko has left in the tank.  I'd only bring him back if he was still capable of contributing.  But the fact is that he may be more willing to return here tha other players because he has connections to the area.  Also he was supposedly a pretty solid locker room presence.  It is always good for young players to see what a guy has to do to play D-line for 15 years in the NFL.
No. That is not how I ment it. You are correct that Marv had some good talent and we still have some of them that are very productive great players. My point was we moved on from Peko who i loved as a bengal but it is a new staff with new directions so lets go in a new way.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 09:46 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote:  or are you ok with 6-7 yards a carry on those 200. 

Is that what happened to Baltimore defense last year when Peko played?

I don't think anyone is saying we should bring him back if he would not be effective.
Reply/Quote
Id rather kick tires on Dareus and the rest before bringing back Peko... loved the guy in his prime but have not been impressed from what I saw afer he left. Regarding the Marv era players; lets not forget Marv drafted pretty well his first 8 or so then the Draft that killed him came that brought in Ogblewie and Fisher....that sealed his fate.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 09:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Anyone notice that more an more players are starting to play well into their 30s?

Recently with the rule changes, protective equipment, medical advancements, and better over all fitness training it seems that 30 is now the mid point for most NFL careers instead of say 27 or 28.

It's tough to say, what age really marks the peak of a typical NFL players career.  A lot of it has to be related to position and injury history.  I've had a difficult time finding any definitive answers, as they vary greatly depending upon what sport, what physical traits are being looked at for apex and decline.

To further muddy the water, personally I think that wisdom and experience can add productive years to a players lifetime, even after physical peak has passed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2020, 10:54 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This just reeks of a Marv move. Bring back the guys your comfortable with. Would rather go for Snack Harrison or Mike Daniels or hell anyone not from the Marv era. Let move on and not bring anyone back that we moved on from. If we are bringing back old guys I would rather shoot for Krumrie.

Normally would agree, but Peko would just be a backup.

Would I rather have Snacks or Daniels? Hell yeah.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 09:46 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I am not pissy. I am stating my opinion which the message bored is for. He may only get 200 snaps but wouldnt you rather have someone more productive foe those 200 snaps or are you ok with 6-7 yards a carry on those 200. And if you are so worried about what others opinions are you really should worry about other things

Peko was pretty stout against the run, the thing people on here complained about was his lack of penetration into the backfield (which was not his role anyway) And while I haven't followed his career in Denver and Baltimore, I have read his game improved in Denver. He is a solid NT who can still fill the hole, he is a proven locker room leader who, along with Whit, took over the last time there was an upheaval in the norm, can play fullback, and still has numerous friends on the team. I think it would be a smart move.  Does anyone know if he sold his house in Northern KY?
Reply/Quote
I can't believe Domata Peko is only 35... He must've been young as hell when he was drafted.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 03:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Peko was pretty stout against the run, the thing people on here complained about was his lack of penetration into the backfield (which was not his role anyway) And while I haven't followed his career in Denver and Baltimore, I have read his game improved in Denver. He is a solid NT who can still fill the hole, he is a proven locker room leader who, along with Whit, took over the last time there was an upheaval in the norm, can play fullback, and still has numerous friends on the team. I think it would be a smart move.  Does anyone know if he sold his house in Northern KY?

Was surprised by how well Domata played in Denver, he was much better there for some reason, don't know why...

Tupou was a run stopper, same as Domata. So it just makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2020, 02:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Normally would agree, but Peko would just be a backup.

Would I rather have Snacks or Daniels? Hell yeah.

Remember that for us to sign a quality veteren free agent that free agent has to want to come here.

Lots of older players don't want to sign with 2-14 teams.

Peko might be willing due to his prior contacts with teammates and the city.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 09:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Remember that for us to sign a quality veteren free agent that free agent has to want to come here.

Lots of older players don't want to sign with 2-14 teams.

Peko might be willing due to his prior contacts with teammates and the city.

Thinking that the Burrow pick might sway players to us quite a bit.

That and the fact teams go from the worst team in the league to pretty good almost every year.
Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 09:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thinking that the Burrow pick might sway players to us quite a bit.

That and the fact teams go from the worst team in the league to pretty good almost every year.

But everyone around here is giving Taylor and his staff  aMulligan for last year.  Most NFL players don't think that way.  They tend to shy away from a coach with a career .125 winning percentage.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2020, 09:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: But everyone around here is giving Taylor and his staff  aMulligan for last year.  Most NFL players don't think that way.  They tend to shy away from a coach with a career .125 winning percentage.

Didn't seem to hurt us too much bringing in free agents....
Reply/Quote
For those wishing that we held onto Andrew Billings....he just opted out for Cleveland

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-03-2020, 09:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thinking that the Burrow pick might sway players to us quite a bit.

That, and i think players put a lot more thought into where they're going--current talent and anyone that's been brought in before them. I don't think there are too many guys out there that just look at a team's record and go "nahhhh, i ain't going there". 

I think a lot of guys like the idea of going somewhere where they will help turn a situation around, along with getting paid. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote