Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RGIII is RGBROWN
Ok, the title isn't clever, but Cleveland is signing the guy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000647310/article/browns-expected-to-sign-rg3
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What are our expectations of him? I'd be surprised if Browns were anything but 4th in the division, basically, ever again in my life.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: What are our expectations of him? I'd be surprised if Browns were anything but 4th in the division, basically, ever again in my life.

NO clue.  The next rumor is that the Browns are shopping McCown to the Jets.  The wisest move, I thought, would be to sit Goff/Wentz behind McCown for a season because McCown is a QB-coach of a vet.  Getting RGIII who doesn't know the system and isn't a mentor?  If they get rid of McCown they're going to have to start a broken vet in RGIII and/or (when he gets injurebenched) a not-ready rookie QB.

Same ol' Browns on their way?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  Getting RGIII who doesn't know the system and isn't a mentor? 

Browns don't have a system.
Reply/Quote
Here is my question.

Did Hue sign him because he and Gruden ar tight and Jay gave RG3 a positive reference?

Or did Hue sign him to prove that he could fix something that Gruden couldn't?

Not all coaching staffs are close friends. There is often a lot of competition among them. I am sure it was hard on Hue to drop from Head Coach to Assistant RB Coach. Especially if he was working under an arena league guy who just got his job because of his last name.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: NO clue.  The next rumor is that the Browns are shopping McCown to the Jets.  The wisest move, I thought, would be to sit Goff/Wentz behind McCown for a season because McCown is a QB-coach of a vet.  Getting RGIII who doesn't know the system and isn't a mentor?  If they get rid of McCown they're going to have to start a broken vet in RGIII and/or (when he gets injurebenched) a not-ready rookie QB.

Same ol' Browns on their way?

McCown can't make it through a season unhurt or unbenched.  The same can be said for RGIII, though.  Either way, they're drafting a QB and he will end up starting before the season is over.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
RG# is not that bad. he was excellent as a rookie, but that was because the defenses had to respect his running ability. But no matter how much you say the system helped him the fact is that he was highly productive without making a lot of mistakes. He had the lowest interception percentage in the league. (5 int in 3939 att, 1.3%)

His next season ('13) was up and down, but he still posted a decent 82.2 passer rating and was on pace to throw for over 4000 yards when he go injured again.

In '14 he started out hot again (98.4 rating) but was injured in the 2nd game of the year. He came back midseason and did not look good. he was benched after 3 starts. But he came off of the bench in week 15 due to an injury to the starter and passed for 792 yards and a respectable 87.7 rating over the last two and a half games.

He just has not been able to stay healthy. The biggest criticism I have heard from most of the experts is that he really struggles on third downs when he is forced to pass.
Reply/Quote
If I were a Browns fan I would be alright with the signing. So many times they try and go with the old, veteran retreads. Might as well take a shot on a guy like RGIII. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but it's better than what they've been doing, which is consistent and total failure.

If anything, it might be a move in a better direction.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is my question.

Did Hue sign him because he and Gruden ar tight and Jay gave RG3 a positive reference?

Or did Hue sign him to prove that he could fix something that Gruden couldn't?

Not all coaching staffs are close friends.  There is often a lot of competition among them.  I am sure it was hard on Hue to drop from Head Coach to Assistant RB Coach.  Especially if he was working under an arena league guy who just got his job because of his last name.

"Jackson explained how, at one point when Griffin rolled out in a full sprint to throw a pass, "it felt like the Earth moved beneath my feet," according to team sources. He told them how Griffin's accuracy in passing drills was "freakish." It was surreal and special. It was everything you remember from 2012 -- and everything you have forgotten since."

Link
When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.

Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 06:16 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: If I were a Browns fan I would be alright with the signing. So many times they try and go with the old, veteran retreads. Might as well take a shot on a guy like RGIII. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but it's better than what they've been doing, which is consistent and total failure.

If anything, it might be a move in a better direction.

2 year deal with only 3.5 million guaranteed.

That was a bargain.
Reply/Quote
Mayock says that RGIII "is still a long way from being comfortable in the pocket."

Please let that be true because he'll get murdered in this division if he tries to be a running QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2016, 11:07 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mayock says that RGIII "is still a long way from being comfortable in the pocket."

Please let that be true because he'll get murdered in this division if he tries to be a running QB.

Meh, I don't root for the Browns to be god-awful because 4 easy wins for the Steelers/Ravens just doesn't sound too appealing. 
Reply/Quote
RG3 should still be better than the QBs they've put out there since Derek Anderson in 2007. That's positive at least.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I wish RG3 the best of luck in Cleveland. I hope he finds some success with Hue Jackson up north.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: RG3 should still be better than the QBs they've put out there since Derek Anderson in 2007. That's positive at least.

Meh, I honestly doubt RGIII is going to be able to top McCown's 2015 numbers even. Maybe if Josh Gordon actually plays football he has a chance, though. I can see them going into 2016 with RGIII, McCown, and a rookie and the rookie getting playing time due to the way those 2 vet get banged up.
Reply/Quote