Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP 1st Bengal QB John Stofa
QB John Stofa, who was the very first Cincinnati Bengal, died over the weekend qat age 79. He was traded to the Bengals from Miami and signed with the team in Dec of 1967. Though the QB role in that first season was shared John, had the honor of throwing the very first touchdown pass (to Bob Trumpy) leading to the team's first victory. He was the QB for 2 of the 3 victories in 1968. He was waived after the 1st season and was ultimately claimed off the practice squad by Miami.

Even though, he spent only that 1 season as a player in Cincinnati, he chose to live his post-football life in Mason while working for Medical Mutual of Ohio.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends

https://www.bengals.com/news/bengals-mourn-first-player-john-stofa

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
"The First Bengal." Took snaps from the first draft choice (Bob Johnson). QB'd our first victory.

Prayers for healing and peace for his family and friends.
Reply/Quote
An interesting part of Bengals history I didn't know so thanks for sharing. May he rest in peace. It would be kind of cool if the Bengals honored him in some way this season. Maybe not the Ring of Honor but perhaps some recognition during the opening home game. Possibly invite some of his family members out for the opening coin toss or something like that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
He was a member on the mother ship and would occasionally log on and talk football. Not sure if he was a member on here or not ?

Rest in peace John.
Reply/Quote
John was a good, humble man. I was blessed to watch him win the first ever game for the Bengals at Nippert Stadium. It was doubly sweet as it was the first football game my father ever took me to. A wonderful memory.

I got to know him (a little) when he worked with my ex-wife at Community Mutual. He was a good man who many admired. He will be greatly missed.
Reply/Quote
Too young (30) to know him well, but RIP...
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
He was often at the table in the Club level signing autographs prior to the game. He signed my daughter's signature football with his name and "1st Bengal". My daughter is high functioning autistic (Asperger's), and he was always kind a took time to speak with her which made her day. They all did actually, Jim Breech, Kevin Walter, Icky, and several others (I'd have to go look at her ball to remember who all signed it, but to a single person they were kind and friendly as they could be. We always sat at the same table for our pre-game, which was close to where they signed autographs. As their line died down, they would come over and hang out with her. Just another reason I love this team.
Reply/Quote
Rest in peace Mr. Stofa.

I've been reading up up quite a bit on him this morning, and I honestly didn't know or simply forgot his history with the team. Granted he was only with the team for that inaugural season, but I didn't know he was the first Bengal Paul Brown brought into the franchise, and then throw the first touchdown in Bengals history. I was reading after he came here after the trade, it was just him, so apparently he and a 32 year old Mike B. would throw to each other up at Princeton High School as the team was yet to be formed via draft and free agents.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I've just read about him and he seems to have been a very nice gentleman. He apparently had a licence plate which he cherished 1ST BNGL. Now that's pretty cool. Who wouldn't want that plate ??
Reply/Quote