Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Don Gullett
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39526031/don-gullett-former-pitcher-reds-yankees-dies-age-73

91-44 with 3.03 ERA in his 7 years here.

Left handed fireballer was known as a superior athlete. While in high school, he scored 11 touchdowns.....in one game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RIP Don.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Rest easy Don

For those of you who don't remember he was a pretty big part of the Big Red Machine. His home town wasn't far from mine either. I ran into him a few times back in the day. Always a nice guy.
Reply/Quote
I remember him on the Big Red Machine. A great pitcher. RIP
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I remember being blown away by Ron Guidry and my Dad said "I guess maybe you were a bit too young to remember watching Don Gullett before his first injury. He was just like Guidry, but not quite as accurate. Overpowering and effectively wild like a lefty Nolan Ryan." That stuck with me ever since.

Rest In Peace
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
RIP, an all time Reds great.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2024, 05:28 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I remember being blown away by Ron Guidry and my Dad said "I guess maybe you were a bit too young to remember watching Don Gullett before his first injury. He was just like Guidry, but not quite as accurate. Overpowering and effectively wild like a lefty Nolan Ryan." That stuck with me ever since.

Rest In Peace
I remember seeing Gullet pitch as a kid @ Riverfront. Heck of a pitcher before the injury bug got him. Hard to believe he was just 9 years older than I am.. Jeeeez Louise..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Never made it to the Cincinnati Reds but here's another late Red, Randy "Macho Man" Savage when he was near the end of his professional playing career with the Reds single A club.

[Image: 428606920_699896169021480_61158622619398...e=65DC78E6]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Savage had a good career as a wrestler. Looks like he knew the Big Red Machine in 1975.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote