Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP John Clayton
Long time ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton died at 67 after a brief illness.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33541834/long-nfl-reporter-john-clayton-dies-67
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 11:37 PM)cinci4life Wrote: Long time ESPN NFL analyst John Clayton died at 67 after a brief illness.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33541834/long-nfl-reporter-john-clayton-dies-67

Damn he was one of my favorite ESPN guys before I stopped watching ESPN.

[Image: 200.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ve seen a ton of references to the commercial but man, overall he was way greater at his day to day job than that.
Reply/Quote
Well that sucks. He was seemingly a nice guy and pretty funny at times. Thoughts to his family
Reply/Quote
I always thought Sean Salisbury was bullying him on TV, I wonder how he actually felt about that shtick/show.
Reply/Quote
Awe....67 is still pretty young in my book. That sucks. I enjoyed watching him when I was younger and Sportscenter didn't suck.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:28 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I’ve seen a ton of references to the commercial but man, overall he was way greater at his day to day job than that.

I love that commercial so much because I really enjoyed him on whatever shows he appeared on and found it absolutely hilarious imagining that being his legit lifestyle between interviews. Guy was a legend as far as I'm concerned.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 12:25 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Damn he was one of my favorite ESPN guys before I stopped watching ESPN.

[Image: 200.gif]

When ESPN was actually good to watch for the commercials alone. This guy was a f***ing legend. He will be dearly, dearly missed. I hate seeing my childhood be ripped from me like this. Brings back a lot of great memories though. 

RIP friend
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
I was stunned to learn this.

He was an incredible writer and correspondent. He was the one who blew the top off the Steelers violating practice rules in the 70s and trying to keep it concealed.

After he was released from ESPN, he became a regular guest host on SiriusXM NFL Radio and did an amazing job there as well. You learned more about his train of thought by listening to his responses to callers and in interviewing guests from the NFL, and he really was excellent at it.

And of course that was the funniest commercial ESPN ever made. Kudos that he was willing to do it.

He will be missed. RIP John.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 08:23 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: When ESPN was actually good to watch for the commercials alone. This guy was a f***ing legend. He will be dearly, dearly missed. I hate seeing my childhood be ripped from me like this. Brings back a lot of great memories though. 

RIP friend

I think this is one of the first sports writers I was pretty upset to hear of their passing. I’d also be upset about Ed Werder and Woody just because of all the years I watched around the horn and loved listening to him lol
Reply/Quote
Rest In Peace. John Clayton. He was one smart, informed dude that loved his football. The espn commercial where he had long hair and Slayer shirt is still a favorite.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
This is terrible and unexpected RIP
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
His commercial short where he unties his hair and rocks out to Slayer once he’s done his on-air piece was ESPN’s best commercial EVER!

RIP Jon
Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/XvXRaSvxmqg
Reply/Quote

Rest In Piece

John would get the joke if you don't.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Always seemed like a good dude who knew his stuff.

His nerdy look is what really made that commercial hilarious.

Rest in peace, another great and familiar face in sports is gone. First Madden, now Clayton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Clayton was good back when espn was still watchable
I know everyone hates Hobson but I enjoyed his article on the team’s website about Clayton. I loved his story about Ron Lynn and how he brought it up to Clayton when he saw him. Sounds like he was a good guy.
Reply/Quote