Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Tom Browning
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 06:24 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote:

Just saw this on FB. What a downer just before the holidays. RIP Mr. Perfect.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
He was found not breathing and unresponsive at his home.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/reds-pitching-legend-browning-dies-at-62/ZRJQPODVJBARVP7GNXOMNZYFEM/?fbclid=IwAR1bxcBFVS9JJjYa4Mjg4Ijbma8xte9EHDgr3yrpKmfmJti1WhcACOKdjgQ#
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
Damn

Rest easy Tom
Reply/Quote
Went 20-9 as a rookie starter finishing 2nd behind Vince Coleman who won ROY. Tom was a 9th round pick. While his perfect game was his greatest achievement, he was very durable. Tom had a 12 year career, 11 with the Reds. In that career, he started exactly 300 games, and led the league in games started 4 times.
Reply/Quote
That's a tough one to hear.... Godspeed Mr Perfect.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
He had a unique pitching style which Vin Scully described as "Pitching as though he's double-parked outside."
Reply/Quote
I have a signed baseball from him last summer. His wife died recently too.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2022, 10:42 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I have a signed baseball from him last summer. His wife died recently too.

I was down at the ballpark the night after his perfect game.  That game, of course was a really crappy weather game with delays.  So there were a lot of unused tickets that scalpers were left with.  I purchased two unused tickets from one of them, and got Tom to sign them later.  They are untorn, which is cool and doubt they are worth much, but I value them.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 12:01 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I was down at the ballpark the night after his perfect game.  That game, of course was a really crappy weather game with delays.  So there were a lot of unused tickets that scalpers were left with.  I purchased two unused tickets from one of them, and got Tom to sign them later.  They are untorn, which is cool and doubt they are worth much, but I value them.  

& even better than the actual autograph is the fun memory you have getting to meet him. I used to be one of those autograph-seeking kids in the '80s and now what I value the most is the memory of getting to meet ballplayers for a brief moment.
Reply/Quote
I was actually watching this game live when it happened.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tom-browning-watches-game-from-wrigley-field-rooftops

Browning provided a good laugh with the stunt.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2022, 10:13 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I was actually watching this game live when it happened.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tom-browning-watches-game-from-wrigley-field-rooftops

Browning provided a good laugh with the stunt.

I saw it live too. He came to our retirement community a few times and spoke of it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Browning and Mario Soto are the two Reds pitchers I can remember on the spur of the moment.
Reply/Quote