Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RNC spent nearly $100k on Don Jr's book, pushing it to #1 on the NYT best seller list
https://twitter.com/nickconfessore/status/1197599033503756288

The RNC offered a free signed copy of the book for anyone who donated $50+.

They then purchased it from Books a Million rather than the publisher because sales from the publisher, while cheaper, do not count towards sales that the NYT tracks for their best seller list.

Because a large percentage of the sales were bulk, the book, while at 1st, had the "deadly dagger" asterisk the NYT applies signifying that the book sales were largely in part to bulk sales by outside groups.

Trump sr, who has spent the last few months attacking Biden for alleging using his office to help his son financial, plugged Jr's book on his twitter account.

Let's hope the days of adult children of politicians trying to profit from their parents offices will be over soon.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-21-2019, 08:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: https://twitter.com/nickconfessore/status/1197599033503756288

The RNC offered a free signed copy of the book for anyone who donated $50+.

They then purchased it from Books a Million rather than the publisher because sales from the publisher, while cheaper, do not count towards sales that the NYT tracks for their best seller list.

Because a large percentage of the sales were bulk, the book, while at 1st, had the "deadly dagger" asterisk the NYT applies signifying that the book sales were largely in part to bulk sales by outside groups.

Trump sr, who has spent the last few months attacking Biden for alleging using his office to help his son financial, plugged Jr's book on his twitter account.

Let's hope the days of adult children of politicians trying to profit from their parents offices will be over soon.

I don't think Tweeting "hey, buy my kid's book because it will stick it to the libs" is the same thing as Burisma receiving US Federal government bailout money while Biden's son got paid by Ukrainian tax payers to do coke - while being as qualified to serve on the board as me an you.

But yeah paying to have his book higher on the NY Times list is stupid.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
I hear they're giving a free copy to any administration member serving more than five years in a white collar jail.
(11-21-2019, 09:02 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I don't think Tweeting "hey, buy my kid's book because it will stick it to the libs" is the same thing as Burisma receiving US Federal government bailout money while Biden's son got paid by Ukrainian tax payers to do coke - while being as qualified to serve on the board as me an you.

Ignoring the high levels of nepotism running rampant in the administration aside, WTF is this nonsense?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-21-2019, 09:02 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I don't think Tweeting "hey, buy my kid's book because it will stick it to the libs" is the same thing as Burisma receiving US Federal government bailout money while Biden's son got paid by Ukrainian tax payers to do coke - while being as qualified to serve on the board as me an you.

Burisma got a bailout? 

(11-21-2019, 09:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Ignoring the high levels of nepotism running rampant in the administration aside, WTF is this nonsense?

Most of his posts are Russian propaganda. So....
(11-21-2019, 10:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Burisma got a bailout? 

I did some Google searching of this.
https://pjmedia.com/trending/did-biden-save-this-ukraine-firm-responsible-for-1-8b-in-missing-aid-his-son-is-on-the-board/

The linked article's title apparently connects ALL US aid directed to Ukraine, as part of our national foreign policy goal to strengthen Ukraine and check Russia, to Burisma--as if that one company got 1.8 billion of taxpayer money. 

Mix in the name of Joe and Hunter Biden.  Stir with some anti-dem/Hillary emotion, and for the careless reader you get almost two million in our tax dollars funneled to a private corporation in the Ukraine which would be paying Hunter millions.

Inside the article, eventually, you see the 1.8 billion was for the country, not Burisma, Biden was doing with the money exactly what Congress wanted him to do with it, etc.  Nothing to see, after all.

That is the only connection I can find.

Maybe 6 can help us with something more specific.
(11-22-2019, 04:23 AM)Dill Wrote: I did some Google searching of this.
https://pjmedia.com/trending/did-biden-save-this-ukraine-firm-responsible-for-1-8b-in-missing-aid-his-son-is-on-the-board/

The linked article's title apparently connects ALL US aid directed to Ukraine, as part of our national foreign policy goal to strengthen Ukraine and check Russia, to Burisma--as if that one company got 1.8 billion of taxpayer money. 

Mix in the name of Joe and Hunter Biden.  Stir with some anti-dem/Hillary emotion, and for the careless reader you get almost two million in our tax dollars funneled to a private corporation in the Ukraine which would be paying Hunter millions.

Inside the article, eventually, you see the 1.8 billion was for the country, not Burisma, Biden was doing with the money exactly what Congress wanted him to do with it, etc.  Nothing to see, after all.

That is the only connection I can find.

Maybe 6 can help us with something more specific.

Dill the truth doesn't matter. The Trump Nunes's will state these falsehoods and the mullet heads will suck it up.
Seems pretty smart on the RNC's part. They got $50 for a twenty or twenty-five dollar book.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-22-2019, 10:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Seems pretty smart on the RNC's part.  They got $50 for a twenty or twenty-five dollar book.

Grifters gonna grift....lol
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-22-2019, 10:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: Grifters gonna grift....lol

The sad thing is, it's not even grifting.  This is all voluntary with full knowledge.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-22-2019, 10:42 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Seems pretty smart on the RNC's part.  They got $50 for a twenty or twenty-five dollar book.

Yea they made like $500,000. Factor in $95k for the books and whatever shipping was, it was a good promotion. 

(11-22-2019, 10:48 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The sad thing is, it's not even grifting.  This is all voluntary with full knowledge.  

Eh, still grifting when the RNC knew they were ripping off donors just to get money for themselves.
(11-22-2019, 11:14 AM)GMDino Wrote: Eh, still grifting when the RNC knew they were ripping off donors just to get money for themselves.

No I'm saying it's sad that these people really weren't conned.  They did it on purpose knowing what they were paying for what they were getting.  

(11-22-2019, 11:16 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No I'm saying it's sad that these people really weren't conned.  They did it on purpose knowing what they were paying for what they were getting.  

Did they know that over 50% was going to stay with RNC?  I didn't see the ad just the results.

If they knew that they were getting a $20 book for $50 they're just dumb.  But that's what most grifters and conmen rely on.   Smirk
(11-22-2019, 11:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: Did they know that over 50% was going to stay with RNC?  I didn't see the ad just the results.

If they knew that they were getting a $20 book for $50 they're just dumb.  But that's what most grifters and conmen rely on.   Smirk

Why is it dumb? Both parties mark up things to fill their coffers. It's a common tool to bring in revenue that can be spent to win elections and support their admin staff. The only stupid thing about this is doing it to boost Junior's sales, but the selling them to raise cash is just par for the course for partisan stuff.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-22-2019, 12:04 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why is it dumb? Both parties mark up things to fill their coffers. It's a common tool to bring in revenue that can be spent to win elections and support their admin staff. The only stupid thing about this is doing it to boost Junior's sales, but the selling them to raise cash is just par for the course for partisan stuff.

Never said it doesn't happen, never said both sides don't do it.

It'd dumb for people to spend $50 for a $20 book IMHO.  If they want to give money give it.  I'm not stopping anyone...lol.
(11-22-2019, 12:20 PM)GMDino Wrote: Never said it doesn't happen, never said both sides don't do it.

It'd dumb for people to spend $50 for a $20 book IMHO.  If they want to give money give it.  I'm not stopping anyone...lol.

Providing some sort of incentive like that is a good way to improve donations, though. It's a common non-profit strategy for fundraising, one I've both organized and been a consumer for. Public media member that costs ~$120? Here! Have a $1.50 coffee mug or tote bag! Providing something tangible is a better motivator, even if it can be obtained cheaper elsewhere, then just straight asking for donations.

I'm just having a hard time with the hate on this strategy. It's something that likely all of us have taken part of on one side or the other.

(11-22-2019, 11:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: Did they know that over 50% was going to stay with RNC?  I didn't see the ad just the results.

They were getting a $20 book for free by donating $50.

Do you realize that you can get better cookies at a cheaper price at Costco than you can from buying them from Girl Scouts? Does it make you dumb to buy them from the Scouts?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

It's a common fundraising tool. I know the tote bag doesn't cost $30, but I am donating it to PBS so that they get the money AND I get the prize. Or the $30 roll of wrapping paper from Trump's campaign that is only 6 feet long. 

It's not grifting. You're getting your $20 book and making a $30 donation.