Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kennedy assassination
I've always been a history nerd and, well, a nerd so I read a lot growing up about the subject. It was my favorite school subject also.

Today is the anniversary of Pres Kennedy being assassinated and that is one historical event that has held my interest for various reasons:

1) So much controversy.

2) So much information is readily available thanks to television.

3) It happened in the lifetime of people who I was able to speak with: My parents and other family members plus various people I have met in my life.

I once had the opportunity to listen to a guy give us every detail he knew about the event because he did his dissertation on the subject! (I'm sure it was very informational but I had drank my first beer and fell asleep in the middle of it. XD)

They say everyone remembers where they were when the news broke. I know where my parents were.

If you were alive (and old enough to remember) where were you?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Didn't Kennedy withhold missiles to Cuba or something?

I always thought my mom said she got home from church and turned on the tv, but that doesn't really make sense on a Friday. I'll have to ask her. Maybe that was the moon landing. What day of the week was that?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-22-2019, 10:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Didn't Kennedy withhold missiles to Cuba or something?

I always thought my mom said she got home from church and turned on the tv, but that doesn't really make sense on a Friday. I'll have to ask her. Maybe that was the moon landing. What day of the week was that?

Not sure of the day of the week, but my dad was in school when the news broke, so definitely a week day.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-22-2019, 10:18 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Didn't Kennedy withhold missiles to Cuba or something?

I always thought my mom said she got home from church and turned on the tv, but that doesn't really make sense on a Friday.  I'll have to ask her.  Maybe that was the moon landing.  What day of the week was that?

I grew up Catholic.  One block from the church.  I was an altar boy for all those daily, 7:00am masses because I lived right there.  I can believe someone was coming home from church on a Friday.
(11-22-2019, 10:24 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Not sure of the day of the week, but my dad was in school when the news broke, so definitely a week day.

It was a Friday.

My mom was in school.  My dad had graduated but wasn't in the AF yet so he was shoveling cow **** at the neighbors dairy farm.
(11-22-2019, 10:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: I grew up Catholic.  One block from the church.  I was an altar boy for all those daily, 7:00am masses because I lived right there.  I can believe someone was coming home from church on a Friday.

Yeah but that would have been well before the assassination.  I'll ask my parents today because it's odd that I don't know this.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-22-2019, 10:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah but that would have been well before the assassination.  I'll ask my parents today because it's odd that I don't know this.  

I'd be interested.

He was killed around 12:30 central time.

I don't know what the news broke on radio (which probably had it first back then) and then television.  (I didn't look it up.)

but it may have been a noon mass too.  Lord knows they seem to have a hundred masses a week back then!  
I'm trying to think of the things I can "remember where I was." Reagan shot. Challenger. 9/11. John Lennon shot.

(11-22-2019, 10:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm trying to think of the things I can "remember where I was."  Reagan shot.  Challenger.  9/11.  John Lennon shot.

Elvis died. Lost virginity
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-22-2019, 10:53 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I'm trying to think of the things I can "remember where I was."  Reagan shot.  Challenger.  9/11.  John Lennon shot.

I remember Elvis dying saw that on television.  Reagan getting shot, I was in school and they told us because we were learning about elections and running mock campaigns at the time.  Challenger I slept it (snow day) and missed the launch but was watching the replay right after and when I saw the smoke I knew that wasn't right.  Oklahoma City bombing...I was working in radio and at my gf's house (she's now my wife) and I was watching television between my shifts at the FM and AM station.  9/11 I was at work (not in radio anymore) and I didn't have the radio on...even though I always do normally.  When our secretary got a call about it I flipped on the radio and it was the Pittsburgh oldies station carrying the ABC News feed.  I *knew* at that point this wasn't just an accident...they just didn't do that.

I'm cursed with a memory for things, even those I'd like to forget, but I cannot remember hearing about John Lennon when it happened.  Although in 1980 on a Monday night I was probably already in bed with school the next day.
(11-22-2019, 11:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Elvis died. Lost virginity

At the same time?  Ninja
(11-22-2019, 11:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: At the same time?  Ninja

Ask your mom

(11-22-2019, 11:26 AM)GMDino Wrote: At the same time?  Ninja

Same room

(11-22-2019, 11:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: I remember Elvis dying saw that on television.  Reagan getting shot, I was in school and they told us because we were learning about elections and running mock campaigns at the time.  Challenger I slept it (snow day) and missed the launch but was watching the replay right after and when I saw the smoke I knew that wasn't right.  Oklahoma City bombing...I was working in radio and at my gf's house (she's now my wife) and I was watching television between my shifts at the FM and AM station.  9/11 I was at work (not in radio anymore) and I didn't have the radio on...even though I always do normally.  When our secretary got a call about it I flipped on the radio and it was the Pittsburgh oldies station carrying the ABC News feed.  I *knew* at that point this wasn't just an accident...they just didn't do that.

I'm cursed with a memory for things, even those I'd like to forget, but I cannot remember hearing about John Lennon when it happened.  Although in 1980 on a Monday night I was probably already in bed with school the next day.

I really don't know why I can place and time John Lennon.  It would be a bigger deal to me now than it was then.

John Wayne I can sort of do, but it's blurred.  Jewelry store in W Va tagging along with my dad on a sales trip.  I want to say Huntington which would have been Mac and Daves, but my memory of the store I was in doesn't match up with what Mac and Daves looked like.

Last Friday I was sitting in a hospital office registering for a (routine) CAT scan when this older guy with a grey beard (a hospital functionary of some sort) was walking through the back area of the office, when he stopped, pointed to me and said "I'll bet that guy remembers where he was on this day in 1963."  

I hadn't even realized the day was Nov. 22nd.

But I did share my memory. I was in 7th grade study hall when the news came over the loudspeaker that Kennedy had been shot. We got updates throughout the afternoon. (He apparently was not dead yet, and had no word on where or how badly he was wounded; people still hoped he'd be ok .) So I was only 12 but it was still a shock. All the teachers were grim and somber. Our family was glued to the tv set that evening. Everyone was thinking "it's the Communists!" Then Oswald was killed a couple days later and the conspiracies began.  

The person registering me said she was "in the womb" on that day. lol.

I can't really remember what day Reagan was shot. I remember when it happened, but he didn't seem badly wounded ("Who's minding the store?") Jodie Foster wasn't even impressed.

Same for John Lennon. Don't even remember the year.   Not the same shock.
(11-22-2019, 11:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: I remember Elvis dying saw that on television.  Reagan getting shot, I was in school and they told us because we were learning about elections and running mock campaigns at the time.  Challenger I slept it (snow day) and missed the launch but was watching the replay right after and when I saw the smoke I knew that wasn't right.  Oklahoma City bombing...I was working in radio and at my gf's house (she's now my wife) and I was watching television between my shifts at the FM and AM station.  9/11 I was at work (not in radio anymore) and I didn't have the radio on...even though I always do normally.  When our secretary got a call about it I flipped on the radio and it was the Pittsburgh oldies station carrying the ABC News feed.  I *knew* at that point this wasn't just an accident...they just didn't do that.

I remember all those things happening, sure, but I only remember where I was for Kennedy and 9/11.  Those were uniquely consequential events.
(11-25-2019, 06:00 PM)Dill Wrote: Last Friday I was sitting in a hospital office registering for a (routine) CAT scan when this older guy with a grey beard (a hospital functionary of some sort) was walking through the back area of the office, when he stopped, pointed to me and said "I'll bet that guy remembers where he was on this day in 1963."   

I hadn't even realized the day was Nov. 22nd.

But I did share my memory. I was in 7th grade study hall when the news came over the loudspeaker that Kennedy had been shot. We got updates throughout the afternoon. (He apparently was not dead yet, and had no word on where or how badly he was wounded; people still hoped he'd be ok .) So I was only 12 but it was still a shock. All the teachers were grim and somber. Our family was glued to the tv set that evening. Everyone was thinking "it's the Communists!" Then Oswald was killed a couple days later and the conspiracies began.  

The person registering me said she was "in the womb" on that day. lol.

I can't really remember what day Reagan was shot. I remember when it happened, but he didn't seem badly wounded ("Who's minding the store?") Jodie Foster wasn't even impressed.  

Same for John Lennon. Don't even remember the year.   Not the same shock.

"Eff you dick.  At least I don't remember Pearl Harbor."

I was at a Rod Stewart concert when the Miracle on Ice occurred. He announced the score