Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROUNDS 1-4 in 2019 Draft
Next year is deep on DT’s, has some good coverage LB’s, and is top-heavy on OT’s. That said, the first 4 rounds better be spent on the lines and LB’s. A few points:

I’ve never understood why the team hasn’t made a priority of pairing Geno with another impact DT. Geno’s whole career has been spent opposite middling talent at the other DT spot. The DT spots are the shortest way to the QB, and can wreak the most havoc on the lines.

The LB starting corps needs cleaned out. Slow plodders don’t cut it in the current NFL. Since FA won’t be used to snag a quality coverage LB, the draft will be key. Quit signing 250 LB thumpers who can’t run.

The team better come out of the draft with some combination of OG/OT that can start Week 1. Maybe Westerman can be the G, but Hart is an embarrassment. Hopefully Pollack has better skill mining the mid-rounds than the Piano Man had.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Don’t forget TE. Eifert can’t be trusted anymore, and Uzomah and Kroft aren’t upper echelon TEs. Plus all are set to hit FA. Likely only one will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would like to see LB, TE, OT, and OT in the first 4 RDs.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I'm looking at a pairing of white,Jones,bc guard, and best tackle avaliable.
Reply/Quote
ot, lb, cb, dt

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Cb, cb, cb, cb    Ninja
Reply/Quote
I know we need linebackers. I won't deny it. Be that as it may, I'd like to see them take an OT and guard in 1 and 2. They need it. The line has sucked badly for way too long.

They need at least 2 plug and play guys that can be a foundation for a future of non-sucking on the offensive line. Glenn gets hurt a lot and is a stopgap. Boling is no spring chicken. Price will, hopefully develop into something better than what we saw this year. There is no viable long-term OT here, and the OG situation ain't much better.

If we get 2 NFL ready guys up front, then we have the skill guys to put up points. They should be able to run with the majority of teams with guys like Green, Boyd, Mixon, etc and a decent line to let Andy distribute the ball.
Reply/Quote
Our offense was sort of OK early in the season, mediocre line play aside.

Our defense is historically bad. Gotta address that first.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
[quote='ochocincos' pid='653134' dateline='1545353015']
Don’t forget TE. Eifert can’t be trusted anymore, and Uzomah and Kroft aren’t upper echelon TEs. Plus all are set to hit FA. Likely only one will be back.]

I agree TE needs to be priority. Need someone that can start or at least push Kroft and CJ. CJ can be a valuable #2 TE. Kroft is serviceable back up. At least this position, unlike some units, has built in depth. Love to see them snag a TE that can compete for starting role AFTER addressing OL and LB.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2018, 09:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Don’t forget TE. Eifert can’t be trusted anymore, and Uzomah and Kroft aren’t upper echelon TEs. Plus all are set to hit FA. Likely only one will be back.

Good point, but they also have Schreck.  I hope Uzo is resigned.  He is starting to show some of his potential...

I think other than what the OP mentioned, the Bengals really need to start thinking CB again since there are no guarantees that Dennard will be back, although I would take him every day over Dre.  

Whatever they do, I hope the new coaching staff changes the scheme and plays more man.  Otherwise, stop using your resources on the CB position and work on pass rush.  The zone and only rushing four with average at best pass rushing is a sure fire way to die a slow death.  
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point, but they also have Schreck.  I hope Uzo is resigned.  He is starting to show some of his potential...

I think other than what the OP mentioned, the Bengals really need to start thinking CB again since there are no guarantees that Dennard will be back, although I would take him every day over Dre.  

Whatever they do, I hope the new coaching staff changes the scheme and plays more man.  Otherwise, stop using your resources on the CB position and work on pass rush.  The zone and only rushing four with average at best pass rushing is a sure fire way to die a slow death.  

I apologize if I don't have any hope for a 251st overall draft pick, but I don't have any confidence he'll amount to anything more than a gameday inactive or active only for ST purposes. I saw nothing in him leading up to the draft where I thought he'd become a good contributor in the NFL and I haven't seen it since he joined the league either.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bengals should....
Re-sign Kroft or Uzomah (both would be nice but likely wouldn't happen)
Draft a TE within the first four rounds
Add another TE either through the draft or FA

I agree this team is built more for man coverage and has no chance of succeeding when only sending four rushers (and only 2-3 being any good at that) while also playing zone coverage. They need to either use their SAM as a pass rusher (which I thought was supposed to be a stable of ML teams but hadn't really happened much since Pollack) or get another legit DL pass rushing threat (at least a nickel DT).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I apologize if I don't have any hope for a 251st overall draft pick, but I don't have any confidence he'll amount to anything more than a gameday inactive or active only for ST purposes. I saw nothing in him leading up to the draft where I thought he'd become a good contributor in the NFL and I haven't seen it since he joined the league either.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bengals should....
Re-sign Kroft or Uzomah (both would be nice but likely wouldn't happen)
Draft a TE within the first four rounds
Add another TE either through the draft or FA

I agree this team is built more for man coverage and has no chance of succeeding when only sending four rushers (and only 2-3 being any good at that) while also playing zone coverage. They need to either use their SAM as a pass rusher (which I thought was supposed to be a stable of ML teams but hadn't really happened much since Pollack) or get another legit DL pass rushing threat (at least a nickel DT).

They need an edge guy in case Lawson or Dunlap go down Again as well. MJ and Willis had a combined 1.5 sacks for us this season.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 06:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: They need an edge guy in case Lawson or Dunlap go down Again as well. MJ and Willis had a combined 1.5 sacks for us this season.

Hubbard led all rookies in sacks. He doesn’t count?

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hubbard led all rookies in sacks. He doesn’t count?

I don't think he is a pure edge speed rusher like Dunlap or Lawson. He is more like an in prime Michael Johnson.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 09:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't think he is a pure edge speed rusher like Dunlap or Lawson. He is more like an in prime Michael Johnson.

Dunlap isn’t a pure speed rusher either. Hell Lawson’s best move is actually a quick jab at the should then runnning through it driving the tackle back into the pocket (power move). I’ll give you Lawson but yea Dunlap isn’t a speed rusher.

Hubbard is a legit utility DE that can win with a great motor. We don’t need additional depth at DE we are pretty set there.
Reply/Quote
If he's there when we pick Jawaan Taylor should be the initial pick. Either plug him in at RT or if you prefer LT and move Glenn to RT. Next stop LB Mack Wilson.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 07:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hubbard led all rookies in sacks. He doesn’t count?

Hubbard didn't lead all rookies in sacks?
Reply/Quote
My realistic top 4 round draft:

1) Rashan Gary-DE-Michigan 6'5 285

2) Chris Lindstrom-Guard-Boston College 6'3 310

3) Dalton Risner-Tackle- Kansas St 6'5 315

4) Germaine Pratt-ILB NC State 6'2 240
Reply/Quote
I think Devin White has to be a lock at 11 if hes available. He immediately upgrades our defense
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 03:03 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Hubbard didn't lead all rookies in sacks?

Sorry, you're right. Darius Leonard had 7.0, Hubbard had 6.0. I believe Hubbard led all rookie DL in sacks (unless there's a guy on the list above Hubbard whom I didn't realize was a rookie).

EDIT - Forgot Bradley Chubb too, who had 12 but also plays OLB.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote