Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROUNDS 1-4 in 2019 Draft
(01-01-2019, 05:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I apologize if I don't have any hope for a 251st overall draft pick, but I don't have any confidence he'll amount to anything more than a gameday inactive or active only for ST purposes. I saw nothing in him leading up to the draft where I thought he'd become a good contributor in the NFL and I haven't seen it since he joined the league either.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bengals should....
Re-sign Kroft or Uzomah (both would be nice but likely wouldn't happen)
Draft a TE within the first four rounds
Add another TE either through the draft or FA

I agree this team is built more for man coverage and has no chance of succeeding when only sending four rushers (and only 2-3 being any good at that) while also playing zone coverage. They need to either use their SAM as a pass rusher (which I thought was supposed to be a stable of ML teams but hadn't really happened much since Pollack) or get another legit DL pass rushing threat (at least a nickel DT).

TJ Houshmanzadeh was a 7th round pick that didn't do much early in his career because of injury and lack of opportunity.  I thought Schreck looked pretty good in the preseason and would be a fine #2 TE behind Uzo.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a FA (more of a blocker, like Nick Boyle) that is at least a solid chain-mover.  We don't need our TEs to be game breakers, with AJ, Boyd, and Ross, but they need to be good blockers and sure-handed. 

Schreck has also been here a couple years now to learn and adapt.  You start all over with a rookie draft pick and we have so many more glaring needs before TE:  Tackle, Guard, LB, LB, LB, and LB.   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 11:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: TJ Houshmanzadeh was a 7th round pick that didn't do much early in his career because of injury and lack of opportunity.  I thought Schreck looked pretty good in the preseason and would be a fine #2 TE behind Uzo.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a FA (more of a blocker, like Nick Boyle) that is at least a solid chain-mover.  We don't need our TEs to be game breakers, with AJ, Boyd, and Ross, but they need to be good blockers and sure-handed. 

Schreck has also been here a couple years now to learn and adapt.  You start all over with a rookie draft pick and we have so many more glaring needs before TE:  Tackle, Guard, LB, LB, LB, and LB.   Ninja

True on TJ, but the Bengals also invested early-round picks on Peter Warrick (Rd 1 2000) and Chad Johnson (Rd 2 2001). Darnay Scott was also still there and only 29 years old. They didn’t go in expecting Housh to amount to anything and avoid the position because of it.

I’m not saying to cut Schreck, just saying he’s not really done anything on the field in the NFL yet to warrant only going into the season with him and maybe one of Kroft or Uzomah. That 2017 was loaded with TEs too and the Bengals didn’t pounce on any until 7th comp pick...Shame they didn’t go for Howard, Njoku, or Engram in rd 1 or even Kittle as late as rd 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 10:23 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Sorry, you're right. Darius Leonard had 7.0, Hubbard had 6.0. I believe Hubbard led all rookie DL in sacks (unless there's a guy on the list above Hubbard whom I didn't realize was a rookie).

Also, the fact that Bradley Chubb had 12 sacks as a rookie isn't being talked about enough. 

I am very excited about what Hubbard can turn into.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 01:01 PM)MentalRage Wrote: Also, the fact that Bradley Chubb had 12 sacks as a rookie isn't being talked about enough. 

I am very excited about what Hubbard can turn into.

Lol I knew I missed Chubb in that list. But yes, he too is being used as OLB.
Overall, not too bad for Hubbard being high on the rookie sack list given he wasn't picked until the third round.

I don't mind another DE selected but I don't think it needs to be early. I think it makes sense to have a rotation of Dunlap, Hubbard, and Lawson with Willis as a reserve. I'm stubborn and still going to hold out hope for Willis because I thought highly of him leading up to the draft two years ago.

I think getting a good nickel DT would improve this pass rush by leaps and bounds.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I can not fathom Devin white not being the guy if he's there at 11, he would immediately be our best linebacker and add a new dynamic to the defense.
Also if we do go DL early on i'd say interior is much more of a need than DE. Depending on who the new coach is we don't know how they'll utilize TE Uzo could be a guy that thrives in a new system we don't know, but what I do know is that our LB corps is hot garbage

also i'd go OL in RD2 if someone slips LB and OL have to be our top priority
Reply/Quote