Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
RULE 17
RULE 17 : EMERGENCIES, UNFAIR ACTS

ARTICLE 4. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
The NFL affirms the position that in most circumstances all regular-season and postseason games should be played to their conclusion. If, in the opinion of appropriate League authorities, it is impossible to begin or continue a game due to an emergency, or a game is deemed to be imminently threatened by any such emergency (e.g., severely inclement weather, lightning, flooding, power failure), the following procedures (Articles 5 through 11) will serve as guidelines for the Commissioner and/or the duly appointed representatives. The Commissioner has the authority to review the circumstances of each emergency and to adjust the following procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems appropriate. If, in the Commissioner’s opinion, it is reasonable to project that the resumption of an interrupted game would not change its ultimate result or adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue, the Commissioner is empowered to terminate the game

ARTICLE 8. INTERRUPTED GAME
If, under emergency circumstances, an interrupted regular-season or post-season game cannot be completed on the same day, such game will be rescheduled by the Commissioner and resumed at that point.

ARTICLE 9. ALTERNATE DATES, SITES
In instances under these emergency procedures which require the Commissioner to reschedule a regular-season game, the Commissioner will make every effort to set the game for no later than two days after its originally scheduled date, and will attempt to schedule the game at its original site. If unable to do so, the Commissioner will schedule it at the nearest available facility. If it is impossible to schedule the game within two days after its original date, the Commissioner will attempt to schedule it on the Tuesday of the next calendar week in which the two involved clubs play other clubs (or each other). Further, the Commissioner will keep in mind the potential for competitive inequities if one or both of the involved clubs has already been scheduled for a game following the Tuesday of that week (e.g., Thanksgiving).

ARTICLE 11. GAME RESUMPTION
In all instances where a game is resumed after interruption, either on the same date or a subsequent date, the resumption will begin at the point at which the game was interrupted. At the time of interruption, the Referee will call timeout and will make a record of the following: the team possessing the ball, direction in which its offense was headed, position of the ball on the field, down, distance, period, time remaining in the period, and any other pertinent information required for an efficient and equitable resumption of play.

According to @footballzebras :

Rule 17 is the catch-all overview of handling extraordinary situations. The game will not be terminated because there are competitive aspects. The game will be resumed, and the Commissioner will make a determination with Football Operations and teams how that will take shape.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:35 AM)Science Friction Wrote: RULE 17 :  EMERGENCIES, UNFAIR ACTS

ARTICLE 4. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
The NFL affirms the position that in most circumstances all regular-season and postseason games should be played to their conclusion. If, in the opinion of appropriate League authorities, it is impossible to begin or continue a game due to an emergency, or a game is deemed to be imminently threatened by any such emergency (e.g., severely inclement weather, lightning, flooding, power failure), the following procedures (Articles 5 through 11) will serve as guidelines for the Commissioner and/or the duly appointed representatives. The Commissioner has the authority to review the circumstances of each emergency and to adjust the following procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems appropriate. If, in the Commissioner’s opinion, it is reasonable to project that the resumption of an interrupted game would not change its ultimate result or adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue, the Commissioner is empowered to terminate the game

The Commissioner has the authority to review the circumstances of each emergency and to adjust the following procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems appropriate.

Reply/Quote
Other things the Commish cannot do: (See below)

1. Unilaterally declare a forfeit

2. Terminate the game early and award the Bengals a 7-3 victory

3. Cancel/ Declare a no contest(except as a last resort) 

4.  Declare a tie

From footballzebras.com

The policies do outline a few things the commissioner cannot do. He cannot unilaterally declare a forfeit, and he essentially lacks any authority to do so except in a very limited circumstance of a team refusing to take the field. This game in particular cannot be terminated early — in other words, declaring a 7-3 Bengals win — because games may only be terminated if “it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (b) would not adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue.” The playoff seedings are definitely affected by the outcome of this game. Similarly, the commissioner cannot outright cancel the game — nullify everything from the game and have it uncontested — except as a last resort. Some have also suggested that the game be declared a tie. There is no provision for the commissioner to do so, and the half-win in the standings also presents the “inter-team competitive issue” that the league would avoid.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 02:48 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Other things the Commish cannot do: (See below)

1. Unilaterally declare a forfeit

2. Terminate the game early and award the Bengals a 7-3 victory

3.  Declare a tie

From footballzebras.com

The policies do outline a few things the commissioner cannot do. He cannot unilaterally declare a forfeit, and he essentially lacks any authority to do so except in a very limited circumstance of a team refusing to take the field. This game in particular cannot be terminated early — in other words, declaring a 7-3 Bengals win — because games may only be terminated if “it is reasonable to project that its resumption (a) would not change its ultimate result or (b) would not adversely affect any other inter-team competitive issue.” The playoff seedings are definitely affected by the outcome of this game. Similarly, the commissioner cannot outright cancel the game — nullify everything from the game and have it uncontested — except as a last resort. Some have also suggested that the game be declared a tie. There is no provision for the commissioner to do so, and the half-win in the standings also presents the “inter-team competitive issue” that the league would avoid.

I can still see the NFL fall back on this one out:  The Commissioner has the authority to review the circumstances of each emergency and to adjust the following procedures in whatever manner the Commissioner deems appropriate.

However, we are in good shape if this happens:

If the Chiefs, Patriots, and Bengals all win their Week 18 games, then the suspended game would only determine the #2 and #3 seeds. That makes it possible to consider abandoning the suspended game, and the Bengals get the #2 seed based on the fourth tiebreaker, strength of victory. (Currently the Bengals have an insurmountable lead for that tiebreaker.)

Although if the Bills actually play NE I think they beat the Patriots...

Reply/Quote
Tough call what to do unless they wanna postpone the playoffs one week.

A tie seems fair but no matter what’s decided it’s a minor effect on playoff seeding.

Really sucks for Hamlin and Higgins and everyone involved. I didn’t like watching it either. Was such a raw scene.

Higgins was just playing ball. Did the same thing Diggs did on Hilton, although Diggs I’d say was more punishing. Fluke thing.

Really sucks. I don’t know what happens. Goodwill will have to announce something at some point. Maybe they just never finish the game so no winner or loser.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lol at that autocorrect

Should say goodell but autocorrect to goodwill
Reply/Quote
One option that I have read that is being discussed is a "Week 19."

Again, from the zebras:

"One possible remedy is to push the playoffs out one week and removing the week off prior to the Super Bowl so that the Bills and Bengals would play a “Week 19” game. While that seems easy, it creates potential network conflicts by moving the playoff games that air in primetime slots. The extra week was a possibility during the 2020 season, but the league did several schedule moves to avoid doing that.

When the playoffs are scheduled, the league will not place a team in a game with less than 6 days’ rest. When introducing the Monday night wild card game in 2021, that meant that a team could not play that game and then be scheduled for a Saturday divisional playoff game. There could be some quick changes to the Ravens-Bengals and Patriots-Bills games to move them up to Friday, resuming the suspended game on Tuesday, and scheduling one or two wild card games (as needed, depending if the Bills clinch the #1 seed) on Monday."
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
The following was added to the article on footballzebras.com about three hours after Tuesday's announcement by the NFL :

"While there are very few options to schedule a resumption of the game, not scheduling a resumption of the game seems to be very unlikely. But there is one scenario in which the game might be cancelled.

In the Tuesday afternoon statement above, the league referenced a “possible resumption” which indicates that a cancellation is still under consideration. And any possible resumption would be after the Week 18 games are completed.

If the Chiefs, Patriots, and Bengals all win their Week 18 games, then the suspended game would only determine the #2 and #3 seeds. That makes it possible to consider abandoning the suspended game, and the Bengals get the #2 seed based on the fourth tiebreaker, strength of victory. (Currently the Bengals have an insurmountable lead for that tiebreaker.) For purposes of wild card games, it could mean that the both teams rematch their division foes or not. Although there is no provision for it, it is possible that the commissioner could propose that as a concession for abandoning the game, the Bills would hold home-field advantage over the Bengals if the two teams meet in the divisional playoffs or the conference championship or that such a matchup is a neutral site game (with several nonplayoff venues between both cities). There is a precedent for making playoff structural changes, as commissioner Pete Rozelle reworked the playoffs in the 1982 season that was shortened by a players’ strike.

But don’t the policies and procedures indicate the game must be resumed? Throughout the documentation, there is a common theme to avoid competitive inequities. In this particular outcome, it is possible that Goodell decides that no scenario is devoid of competitive inequities, and that wiping the game out is the lesser inequity. The only way this seems to be the viable path is if the suspended game only affects the Bills and Bengals (and tangentially, their postseason opponents) which happens only if the Chiefs, Bengals, and Patriots win in Week 18.

If the game is not resumed, standings for the playoff seeds would be calculated on win percentage as usual. Any statistics that would affect a player’s contracted performance bonus or position in the statistical rankings would be prorated to 16 games."
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:17 AM)Science Friction Wrote: One option that I have read that is being discussed is a "Week 19."

Again, from the zebras:

"One possible remedy is to push the playoffs out one week and removing the week off prior to the Super Bowl so that the Bills and Bengals would play a “Week 19” game. While that seems easy, it creates potential network conflicts by moving the playoff games that air in primetime slots. The extra week was a possibility during the 2020 season, but the league did several schedule moves to avoid doing that.

When the playoffs are scheduled, the league will not place a team in a game with less than 6 days’ rest. When introducing the Monday night wild card game in 2021, that meant that a team could not play that game and then be scheduled for a Saturday divisional playoff game. There could be some quick changes to the Ravens-Bengals and Patriots-Bills games to move them up to Friday, resuming the suspended game on Tuesday, and scheduling one or two wild card games (as needed, depending if the Bills clinch the #1 seed) on Monday."

I don't see that last option being viable. The Bengals and Bills would have to play 2 games in 5 days. And if the Bengals lost both games and wound up as a wild-card, it would be 3 games in 11 days.
Reply/Quote
science fiction: Good find buddy, researching this and will give me something to do tomorrow. Although, I do think Caesar is on the right track and quoting basically Goodell can do whatever he goddamn wants.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:32 AM)The 160lb Fullback Wrote: I don't see that last option being viable. The Bengals and Bills would have to play 2 games in 5 days. And if the Bengals lost both games and wound up as a wild-card, it would be 3 games in 11 days.

This was a suggestion i brought up in the "Bills/Bengals will not resume this week" thread although i said Saturday, Wednesday, Monday. It seems like the most somewhat logical solution.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 03:41 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: science fiction:  Good find buddy, researching this and will give me something to do tomorrow.  Although, I do think Caesar is on the right track and quoting basically Goodell can do whatever he goddamn wants.

Yeah, that one sentence seems like it could give him an out to do whatever his black heart desires. We'll see. I guess. 
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
This is a lot of good information. The league apparently does have rules in place. i hope they follow the detailed rules and not the Goodell absolute power line, which goes against the carefully crafted rules that cover this situation.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 05:20 AM)Nepa Wrote: This is a lot of good information. The league apparently does have rules in place. i hope they follow the detailed rules and not the Goodell absolute power line, which goes against the carefully crafted rules that cover this situation.

To me it sounds like the rules say the commissioner has the final say on this type of scenario. Am I wrong? I’m sure he can get input from the teams and others.
Reply/Quote
Well I am now convinced one thing they won't do is make a team play on a short week because they made up the game somewhere. The optics of making a team play on a short week and having players get hurt would be a further black eye for the league.
Reply/Quote
The issue is the term "emergency". This wasn't a blizzard, power outage, lightning, mass sickness (covid), natural disaster, or any outside situation that theoretically made the game unplayable. This per reports, were the decision of coaches which accounts pretty much to a refusal to play. Walking off the field. Honorable no doubt, but not an emergency situation causing the game to be cancelled..... This is why it won't be continued.

I repeat this was still very honorable ....... And we all should be proud of Zac's leadership, but it was optional.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: The issue is the term "emergency". This wasn't a blizzard, power outage, lightning, mass sickness (covid), natural disaster,  or any outside situation that theoretically made the game unplayable. This per reports, were the decision of coaches which accounts pretty much to a refusal to play. Walking off the field. Honorable no doubt, but not an emergency situation causing the game to be cancelled..... This is why it won't be continued.

I repeat this was still very honorable ....... And we all should be proud of Zac's leadership, but it was optional.

Except the NFL has been going out of its way over the last 24 hours to paint the picture that the decision to postpone the game indefinitely was theirs.  They're bristling at the suggestion that they had given the teams five minutes to regroup and resume play.  

Even if the coaches ultimately made the decision, the NFL is never going to own that publicly or move forward in any way that puts it in a bad light. The idea that two NFL coaches had to basically override the NFL for the sake of their players is not good. The NFL then "punishing" those teams for choosing not to play is even worse.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: The issue is the term "emergency". This wasn't a blizzard, power outage, lightning, mass sickness (covid), natural disaster,  or any outside situation that theoretically made the game unplayable. This per reports, were the decision of coaches which accounts pretty much to a refusal to play. Walking off the field. Honorable no doubt, but not an emergency situation causing the game to be cancelled..... This is why it won't be continued.

Yeah, I think Zac would have done whatever the Bills wanted to do. If they wanted to play the rest of the game, he would have. They didn't, and he supported their decision. Both coaches by their actions made the league look good.
Reply/Quote
your missing the fact there simply isnt time to make this game up or resume it. Without putting players at risk
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:55 AM)jj22 Wrote: The issue is the term "emergency". This wasn't a blizzard, power outage, lightning, mass sickness (covid), natural disaster,  or any outside situation that theoretically made the game unplayable. This per reports, were the decision of coaches which accounts pretty much to a refusal to play. Walking off the field. Honorable no doubt, but not an emergency situation causing the game to be cancelled.....

I was thinking the same thing when I read that.  
Reply/Quote