Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
RUMOR - Biden to announce cancellation of student debt
(08-24-2022, 07:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Bullshit! It’s capped at $125,000 per individual. That’s right, $125,000. Not $30,000, Not $50,000 or even $60,000. $125,000. What a f’n joke. That there is ridiculous. Now, I want reimbursed $20k for my college debt that’s 100% paid off. This ain’t nothing but a first class raping without Vaseline. Now I have to pay for some lazy ass who refuses to work up to their potential while paying for Bidens political publicity points.

I’ll go ahead and comment here, while I disagree with the move to forgive at all 125k is misleading because it’s a blanket number across the country. 125k in certain parts of the country with their cost of living is not all that much different than 60k-70k in others.

I think they could have attempted to better adjust for cost of living but I get that is a difficult thing to pull off well.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 07:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: By who? I consider middle class between $35,000 and $65,000. 

So, income classes are usually determined based on not just salary, but household size as well. $35k individual would be upper-lower to lower-middle depending on location, even if you're just paying for yourself. Now, I would've rather seen it as the joint income cap being $125k, or maybe $150k, as that would be on the upper end of middle-income in the US. $250k in most places is in the upper-income tier.

If anyone is curious, btw, here is a calculator from Pew for this: https://www.pewresearch.org/interactives/are-you-in-the-middle-class/
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 05:44 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Indeed. The idea behind Pell Grants were that the neediest students would be able to attend school, essentially for free. The program has not been updated and funded to keep that up, but it is still the case that Pell eligible students are the ones most in need of tuition assistance.

I don’t know about neediest. My brother in law’s three daughter’s got pell grants and the probably have a combined income of at least $75,000. I assume the amount goes down as income goes up, but that seems pretty high to qualify.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 08:52 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know about neediest. My brother in law’s three daughter’s got pell grants and the probably have a combined income of at least $75,000. I assume the amount goes down as income goes up, but that seems pretty high to qualify.

Combined income of $75k isn't much at all for a family of five. That would be lower middle class in areas like we live, poor in some others. It's also based upon assets, not just income. So if they lack any real assets or have a significant amount of debt, that also plays a factor.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 07:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: By who? I consider middle class between $35,000 and $65,000. 

You think the average national police officer (who makes ~$67,600 per year as of 2020) is considered upper class?

What utility does differentiating the classes even have at that point?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 07:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, income classes are usually determined based on not just salary, but household size as well. $35k individual would be upper-lower to lower-middle depending on location, even if you're just paying for yourself. Now, I would've rather seen it as the joint income cap being $125k, or maybe $150k, as that would be on the upper end of middle-income in the US. $250k in most places is in the upper-income tier.

If anyone is curious, btw, here is a calculator from Pew for this: https://www.pewresearch.org/interactives/are-you-in-the-middle-class/

I assumed I'd be considered upper class because I'm an engineer making pretty solid money for my age, but according to this calculator, a family of 4 like mine in Cincinnati is considered middle class all the way until the family income is $151,225 (Yes, I iterated out the exact number), so I've actually got a ways to go haha.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 02:19 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Life is not only about you. Get to the banker who crooked you. 

True life is about being Responsible for yourself not paying the bills of people you never met
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 08:17 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: True life is about being Responsible for yourself not paying the bills of people you never met

Life is about convincing yourself that you are a victim of circumstance and deserve help when you need help while convincing yourself that others who need help don't deserve it because it's their own fault they need help. 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 08:06 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: You think the average national police officer (who makes ~$67,600 per year as of 2020) is considered upper class?

What utility does differentiating the classes even have at that point?

Where I'm from they don't come close to that amount. I'd say around $20hr.

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 08:40 AM)Belsnickel Wrote:

There is almost something perversely stimulating about getting owned so hard by these people. Almost?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 08:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: There is almost something perversely stimulating about getting owned so hard by these people. Almost?

It's also fun because Gaetz is on that committee. LOL

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 08:17 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: True life is about being Responsible for yourself not paying the bills of people you never met

Nah you're grumpy and jealous and you search a way to express it.

Empathy is a human quality.

It's not their choice to loan this money it's because your country is not able to give youth people a free education which exists all over the world even in 3rd world countries because billionnaires wants more and more money even if they don't need it.

They didn't go gambling, they went to learn.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote

Damn, this man is out here gatekeeping life itself. 
Reply/Quote

Xeno, did you ever attend college or public school?
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2022, 03:03 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: They are not trying to fix any problem.  They are pandering and trying to buy votes.  They don't give a rats a$$ about fixing any problems.

Serious question--

What do you make of tax cuts for the rich?  

Not "pandering to buy votes" but all about "fixing problems"?
Reply/Quote
My taxes should go towards paying for bombs to drop on people I've never met, not paying the student loans of people I've never met.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 09:16 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My taxes should go towards paying for bombs to drop on people I've never met, not paying the student loans of people I've never met.

You are a true fuggin’ patriot, my friend.
Reply/Quote
Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
If you ask me, student loan debt forgiveness is WAY better than government bailouts for banks, subsidies for fossil fuel companies, and PPP loan forgiveness for ungrateful millionaire business owners.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote