Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race for the 2018 NFL Draft No. 1 pick: Loser of Colts-Bengals has a real shot
I haven't really looked at the 2018 prospects yet. Is there a prospect that we know what contribute their rookie year?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 01:13 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Only happens if the new HC recognizes that having a good OL is the foundation of having a good offense.

I think a HC does realize that. The front office doesn't seem to value Guard and Center.
Reply/Quote
Just to be clear for those that didn't pick it up. The title of this thread was from some article that CBS Sports wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/race-for-the-2018-nfl-draft-no-1-pick-loser-of-colts-bengals-has-a-real-shot/

I think the #3 pick is as high as we have a shot at. But while some on this board are talking playoffs...some people think we're one of the top 5 worst teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
If we get the #1 pick, tell me who the best guy on the board with an injury is because that is who we'll be picking. Ced, Ross, let's keep that tradition of projects that need to red-shirt alive.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We've been disappointing this year, but we won't be for pick 1. I say at worst we will be 9-13 range. I still think we have an outside chance of making the playoffs (35-45% chance).

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 06:34 AM)kevin Wrote: Being 62 and going on 63 in January, and having seen all 50 Bengals and Bungles years, I lost my thrill for the draft back in the Bungles 1990's.  Watching some of the latest drafts hasn't helped much.  See, I learned in the Bungles 1990's and early 2000's there is one HUGE problem with rooting for and getting a top draft pick.  That problem is your team is so awful draft picks aren't going to turn this pile of garbage around.  If you could draft Superman, he couldn't help.  This means you are picking so low you are rebuilding and years away from a Super Bowl.  That's OK for you Kids, but I'm running out of years and time. As far as death goes, I'm on the clock in draft terms.  

The Bengals made 5 straight play-offs. No play-off wins, but I was hoping 2011 to 2020 would be our dynasty decade.  That this team would go from play-off losses to Super Bowl to finish decade and reap the full rewards of that AJ Green and Dalton draft to start decade.  Well. Mike Brown went crazy and blew up the O Line.  His draft pick tackles aren't cutting it, and his going cheap at guards and center isn't cutting it.  Instead of Super Bowl Bengals won 6 games last season and may not win that many this season.  

So I don't share in any youthful enthusiasm for blowing the whole thing up and starting over.  I'm running out of time, I'm now on the clock, and I was hoping this would be our decade.  I just can't get excited about draft picks for the 2020 to 2029 decade.  Plus don't be surprised if The Brown Family tries to switch cities in the next decade to St Louis, San Diego or Oakland on a new stadium deal. Paul Brown Stadium will have reached the age Riverfront became and Mike is on the clock in age as well.  Paul Browns grand kids and great grand kids may just go to the biggest best city offer. 

My mood in 2017 went to doubtful in Mike Brown moves, to hopeful, but with no disgusted mood I'm now with disappointed which is as close to disgusted as they have.  It looks like the 1980's will be the best decade of Bengals in my lifetime. Hey Mike Brown, Guess What, In our Best Decade Ever your Dad actually paid for and had a Great Offensive Line across the board. Not just Munoz but a Pro Bowl right tackle as well.  Pro Bowl Max Montoya who you refused to pay as soon as Dad Died.  Good center and another good guard and good depth.  Imagine that Mikey Boy old boy, a good offensive line got us to 2 Super Bowls.  Your awful O Lines can't do anything but lose, Mikey. 

So, I can't share in the blowing up and rebuilding euphoria. I will say that if a Mike Ditka type ever offers The Bungles every pick in the draft plus the # 1 picks the next 2 years, TAKE IT.  Don't listen to some Cincinnati drugstore owner with a list he pulled out of his aspirins.  If the Bungles are so bad they have a top draft pick then it means Superman can't fix this team so take all the draft picks.  I don't think anybody will offer what Ditka did again though, but it was Classic Bungles they turned Ditka down and took the one and only Akili Smith, not exactly heading to the Hall Of Fame. 

So World Series not over and talking draft, it must be another year of BUNGLES.....I see Pittsburg and Baltimore of Tomlin and Harbaugh are the top teams as usual.  The Ohio teams, well.  One is named after Paul Brown and the other plays in a Stadium named after Paul Brown. Problem is Paul Brown is long dead and the Ohio teams may have his name, but that's all they have as they are last place door mats.  I hoped good football would return to NFL in Ohio, but I'm starting to see, not in my lifetime.  Well, Ohio NFL was good in the 1980's. We had the O Line, Cleveland had the defense.  Mike Brown is too smart to pay offensive linemen. This decade should have ended with 5 play-offs to going Super Bowl, but Mike Brown ruined it as he always ruins it. He took over his Dads Super Bowl team and ruined it.  ....So I just can't get excited about last place and top draft picks.  That isn't Super Bowl, that is Toilet Bowl. 

Superman could definitely help this team.

Good job on the paragraphs. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Seriously, Pistons, you need to stop.

If things go well, we could make the playoffs.

If things go crappy, we STILL won't get the #1 pick.

This constant doom and gloom is seriously getting bothersome and old, we don't need to know how the sky is falling and the 20+ years of mistakes, multiple times each day.

Tired of this crap.

Yeah. The talent on this team, with a crap Oline included, is 8-8...which should tell someone how well they'd do with a good line. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 02:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Just to be clear for those that didn't pick it up. The title of this thread was from some article that CBS Sports wrote:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/race-for-the-2018-nfl-draft-no-1-pick-loser-of-colts-bengals-has-a-real-shot/

I think the #3 pick is as high as we have a shot at. But while some on this board are talking playoffs...some people think we're one of the top 5 worst teams in the league.

I could see it going either way. I could see us putting together a run, but I could also see us flaming out and crawling to the finish line. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Colts

27th in points scored
32nd in points allowed

28th in yards
31st in yards allowed

Blowout losses to Rams (46-9), Seahawks (46-18), Titans (36-22) and Jags (27-0)
2-5 record
Wins were both by a FG over the Browns and 49ers, who are both 0-7 on the season. This reminds me...how do the Colts and Bengals have any shot at the #1 pick when the Browns and 49ers are both 0-7?

Bengals 

29th in points scored (Lazor's 20.5 PPG would rank 20th)
7th in points allowed

29th in yards (Lazor's 304.5 average would rank 25th)
5th in yards allowed

Blowout losses to Ravens (20-0) and Steelers (29-14)
2-4 record includes an OT loss @ Packers
Wins by 24 points over Browns and 4 points over Bills. The Bills are 4-2 with wins over the Bucs, Falcons, Broncos and Jets.

The Bengals look like a 7-9 team with a great defense and an offense that's struggling due to a terrible line. 

The Colts look like a 2-14 team and are awful at everything. Plus they're playing in PBS.

I'm as bummed as anyone, but we're not touching the #1 pick. We'll probably be closer to 10th.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This team is most likely somewhere between 5-11 to 7-9, 8-8 absolute best.

5th or 6th is probably as high as we'll pick but most likely we'll be around 9 -14 range.
Reply/Quote
We'll be picking top 10. It'll be a boring first round, but it'll be nice to have a LT of the future.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 02:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Superman could definitely help this team.

Good job on the paragraphs. ThumbsUp

OK, one more reason as an old man I have no youthful vision on blowing it up and gushing over draft picks for a possible Super Bowl 10 years from now.   One more reason is, IF Mike Brown got lucky and drafted Superman....he would not pay what it would take to keep him on the team....so another wasted draft pick and wasted fan dreams of that draft. 

So I'm probably not going to be alive 10 years from now, if that. Nor is Mike Brown. 5 straight play-offs, we should have been trying to make THIS our decade with AJ Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Dalton. To now here rooting for losses to rebuild for 2020 to 2029 decade is just sad. I won't live to see that, nor will Mike Brown. Bengals should have tried to make a Super Bowl run THIS decade. Now we are just taking BUNGLES draft picks before World Series over as back in 1990's......I'm going on 63, have seen all 50 Bengals years, but sadly the last 27 years have been Mike Brown, not Paul Brown. No, I can't get excited about another Mike Brown Bungles year draft pick. Mike Brown lets the teams get so bad that draft picks will not turn his mess around. He is TOO CHEAP. That's it. HE IS TOO CHEAP... If Mike Brown could draft Superman, then watch him fly away faster than a speeding bullet due to Mike Brown going CHEAP and not paying him. Mike Brown who can leap over contracts in a single bound and be happy with 4 win seasons.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 02:43 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: If we get the #1 pick, tell me who the best guy on the board with an injury is because that is who we'll be picking. Ced, Ross, let's keep that tradition of projects that need to red-shirt alive.

Don't forget arrest records. Nothing raises the stock of potential Bengal draftees like a few good run-ins with the law!
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Fans on the board were talking playoff run after beating the Browns and Bills...then we lost to the Steelers.

Well CBS Sports thinks the loser of the Colts vs Bengals game has a real shot at the 1st pick in the draft.

We're currently slotted for the #5 pick in the draft.

With that said, I don't see us finishing with a worse record than the Browns or 49ers.

As long as the Browns are around, no chance.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
How about The Steelers are a good team and chalk it up to a bad 2nd half. Alot of pundits and analysts have the Steelers as the best team in football. Im not ready to write this season off yet.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2017, 02:00 AM)Go Cards Wrote: We would probably just draft a WR or CB with that #1 pick.

So no thanks lets kick some Colt butt.

Then let him sit the bench for 2 years 

#MarvinSaidWeCantPlayRookies
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2017, 09:19 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: How about The Steelers are a good team and chalk it up to a bad 2nd half. Alot of pundits and analysts have the Steelers as the best team in football. Im not ready to write this season off yet.

We definitely need to beat the Colts and Jaguars to have any chance this season. Get back to 4-4 and see what happens.

Then, Titans/Broncos/Browns...we have to win 2 out of 3 of those. So we'd need to win 4 of our next 5. (The Jags, Titans, and Broncos are all on the road.)

Then Steelers are probably a loss. Bears, Vikings, Lions, and Ravens we'd need to go 2-2 on...to get us to 9-7. Can we go 3-1 on these? Yes. Can we go 0-4 or 1-3 on these? Yes.

On paper, we have a chance to win all of our games except the Steelers...but actually winning them is another story.
Reply/Quote
The Browns and 49ers both lost today, so they are both on a faster track to the #1 pick than the Colts.
Reply/Quote
We could REALLY use a Top 10 OL pick.

After watching today's game, the OL struggled with pass protection (Dalton regularly getting up off the ground), run blocking (no holes for the RBs), and even ST blocking for punting and field goals (Huber was rushed and we had a FG blocked by a guy that walked up the middle untouched).
Reply/Quote
I don't think it matters where we pick in the first round. If by some miracle it's a guard or center, they won't be re-signed after their rookie contract because we don't value interior OLinemen. On top of that, when Alexander the Great is given an extension and gets his say of who we pick, we'll be saddled with another shitastic lineman for 4-5 years.

The next most likely scenarios will be drafting a WR (that will basically be redshirted), a CB (who will definitely be redshirted), a pass catching TE who won't play much until he learns to block, or pick a position that the rookie we draft is injured so we don't have to worry about playing him year 1 any way.
Reply/Quote