Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ragland v Smith
Very nice analysis on the two LB prospects from Brett Kollmann (who you should follow on social media if you don't already).

Ragland is a Bengals type LB and Smith is a LB the Bengals should be leaning towards.
Reply/Quote
I'm a big Ragland fan but if the medicals check on Jaylon, it isn't really close for what this team needs desperately
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 02:52 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'm a big Ragland fan but if the medicals check on Jaylon, it isn't really close for what this team needs desperately

And when/if the medicals clear him, we can kiss that dream goodbye. Him and Jack are top 15 guys no question, just the recent trend.

Ragland will have a Dawson like showing this weekend but won't fall as much because no other BS is attached to him.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 03:00 PM)Stormborn Wrote: And when/if the medicals clear him, we can kiss that dream goodbye. Him and Jack are top 15 guys no question, just the recent trend.

Ragland will have a Dawson like showing this weekend but won't fall as much because no other BS is attached to him.

if Jack were healthy right now, he'd be a top 10 player. 
He's unique. 
He's like all that hype Shaq Thompson got but actually deserving of it. 
Reply/Quote
I agree with this video 100%. I'm not high on Ragland either and I think he's going to be one of the busts at LB this draft. He's good at stopping the run, but he offers nothing we don't already have.

Heck, I like Dawson over Ragland in every way. It's not even close. We have a thumper in Maualuga.

Jaylon Smith offers something the Bengals never had and will take this defense to a whole level. Smith has everything you want in a LB. Sure, he's not going to be the strongest, but he'll fill up holes and take away speedy receivers. He can cover tight ends and has smoother hips than some defensive backs in this draft.

Smith >>>> Ragland
Dawson >>> Ragland
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 03:31 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I agree with this video 100%. I'm not high on Ragland either and I think he's going to be one of the busts at LB this draft. He's good at stopping the run, but he offers nothing we don't already have.

Heck, I like Dawson over Ragland in every way. It's not even close. We have a thumper in Maualuga.

Jaylon Smith offers something the Bengals never had and will take this defense to a whole level. Smith has everything you want in a LB. Sure, he's not going to be the strongest, but he'll fill up holes and take away speedy receivers. He can cover tight ends and has smoother hips than some defensive backs in this draft.

Smith >>>> Ragland
Dawson >>> Ragland

Wouldn't really go that far, but you could make the case. 

A more instinctual Rey is a solid comp and career arc though.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 03:41 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Wouldn't really go that far, but you could make the case. 

A more instinctual Rey is a solid comp and career arc though.

I would. Dawson has much better eyes in the backfield and much higher production with less around him. He is better against the run than Ragland and also better in coverage in every way. Much better hips and much more agile. Dawson isn't going to wow you with the Combine, but his tape says it all. Instincts are big with him. Ragland is a good thumper, but he's not a 3-down linebacker.

Ragland offers nothing over Dawson.

Well, the thing Ragland has over Dawson is, well, character issues.

Reply/Quote
Oh Good, not a fan of Ragland.
I am a fan of Smith though.
I just don't think either will be there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 05:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh Good, not a fan of Ragland.
I am a fan of Smith though.
I just don't think either will be there.

The combine is not going to be Ragland's friend. Could see his stock drop after this week honestly.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 04:59 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I would. Dawson has much better eyes in the backfield and much higher production with less around him. He is better against the run than Ragland and also better in coverage in every way. Much better hips and much more agile. Dawson isn't going to wow you with the Combine, but his tape says it all. Instincts are big with him. Ragland is a good thumper, but he's not a 3-down linebacker.

Ragland offers nothing over Dawson.

Well, the thing Ragland has over Dawson is, well, character issues.

I think you way overrate Dawson as a prospect.
Reply/Quote
If Smith's knee shows signs that it will heal properly, and he's at #24, then you pull the trigger instantly.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Very good analysis and vid.

If Jaylon Smith is there at 24 i think it is a no brainer, i just doubt he will be there.

Ragland is a 2nd to 3rd round prospect. Big thumper, probably better than Maualuga, maybe, but we already got that guy.

We need athletes at the Linebacker position and Jaylon is maybe the best in awhile.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 05:31 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think you way overrate Dawson as a prospect.

I rated Dawson as a late 1st round, 2nd round LB. Whereas I rate Ragland as a late 2nd round to mid 3rd round LB.

Ragland offers nothing over Dawson. And Ragland offers nothing over what we have. I see him struggling in the NFL outside of obvious run situations.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 05:01 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I rated Dawson as a late 1st round, 2nd round LB. Whereas I rate Ragland as a late 2nd round to mid 3rd round LB.

Ragland offers nothing over Dawson. And Ragland offers nothing over what we have. I see him struggling in the NFL outside of obvious run situations.

Ragland hits harder, plays man up on OL better, is about the same level of athlete as Dawson. 

I'm not saying Ragland fills a need, but neither does Dawson right now. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 11:26 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ragland hits harder, plays man up on OL better, is about the same level of athlete as Dawson. 

I'm not saying Ragland fills a need, but neither does Dawson right now. 

I'm rooting for him to start the first 3 weeks at Will though.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 11:31 AM)Stormborn Wrote: I'm rooting for him to start the first 3 weeks at Will though.

That's partially why I don't get re-signing V-Rey. 
Dawson is essentially an updated version of him with better overall skills. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 11:33 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's partially why I don't get re-signing V-Rey. 
Dawson is essentially an updated version of him with better overall skills. 

Obviously don't trust Dawson to call plays or make adjustments, only Vinny can do that apparently.

Dawson's a smart cookie, but he'll be buried behind a subpar starter for the next few years if worst comes to worst.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 11:41 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Obviously don't trust Dawson to call plays or make adjustments, only Vinny can do that apparently.

Dawson's a smart cookie, but he'll be buried behind a subpar starter for the next few years if worst comes to worst.

Sounds about right. Barring injury or something, our rookies never get a chance while someone else is on roster. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 11:49 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sounds about right. Barring injury or something, our rookies never get a chance while someone else is on roster. 

Scary to think what would have happened to Burfict if Howard hadn't been injured...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
NFL.com reported that majority of NFL teams believe that J. Smith will not play in 2016 due to knee injury. He may not go in the first 23 picks. So it may be decision time for the Bengals. Pass for WR or DT that can contribute right away or take a PUP player?
Reply/Quote