Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raiders Interested in Bengals Personnel
(01-18-2022, 10:21 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The team making the hire does not lose picks, you get that, right?  

I think having the best GM/HC possible might be more important than if you pick #110th or #112th in round 4.  

If someone else hires him, you'd lose out on your candidate AND still pick later. 

I get that. But if we hire a personnel employee from a division foe they get 2 additional 3rd round picks. 

All other things equal; we wouldn't want that, no team would.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:29 PM)Synric Wrote: There are a limited number of Comp picks and draft picks all together. Other teams will lose opportunities for comp picks and others will get theirs pushed down.

Coaching/FO comp picks do not count toward the max number of comp picks each year for losing players (32 picks). Minority hire picks come after the player comp picks in the 3rd round. There can now be more than the usual 256 picks in any given draft due to these extra picks.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Coaching/FO comp picks do not count toward the max number of comp picks each year for losing players (32 picks). Minority hire picks come after the player comp picks in the 3rd round. There can now be more than the usual 256 picks in any given draft due to these extra picks.

So now there are extra picks on day 2. Messing with the draft was a monumentally stupid idea.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:45 PM)Synric Wrote: So now there are extra picks on day 2. Messing with the draft was a monumentally stupid idea.

The overall impact of this is actually very small. Day 2 picks always fluctuated based on the number of regular comp picks anyway. There are never likely to be many of these picks. If they ever get to the point where are are 20 of then they will likely not feel the need to continue the compensation anymore.

I don’t have strong feelings on it either way but the difference between having pick 110 vs pick 106 because of a few minority hires is very minimal.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:20 PM)Au165 Wrote: They are like compensatory picks.
I pray they hire him!
(01-18-2022, 10:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: They are comp picks. Teams hiring don’t lose picks as that would discourage them from hiring minority candidates. This is just to encourage teams to give minority coaches lower roles to help develop more quality candidates for HC/GM jobs when they become available.

Overall I don’t see many teams passing up on stealing a quality coach/FO exec because a rival will get a couple of late 3rd round picks. In bfine’s scenario we’d be hurting them by taking a talent from their organization but giving they get a couple of comp picks to make up for it. Seems like a push at best. When you look at the success rates of 3rd round comp picks it would probably still work out in the hiring teams favor to steal a known commodity from their franchise.
I agree that it would be stupid to take away picks, but it's the NFL, so I didn't want to put it past them!

That's AMAZING!

Sure, scouts are valuable and I know they have more of a job now than they did back when Mike Brown was still was the final say in pretty much everything and didn't listen to anybody, but a third round pick would be MORE than worth, so TWO is a NO-BRAINER!

This could go a long way in improving the offensive line and filling up the other missing pieces we have!

Take care of the offensive line first and maybe even spend a few early picks on good depth/developmental guys (if we do indeed get two extra thirds), and spend the rest on defense. It doesn't have to be in that order, either. 
(01-18-2022, 10:29 PM)Synric Wrote: There are a limited number of Comp picks and draft picks all together. Other teams will lose opportunities for comp picks and others will get theirs pushed down.

You can find good picks later in drafts sometimes but, if we're getting an extra third or TWO, you can keep the late round comp picks!
Reply/Quote
Before you guys get too excited over potential comp picks if the Raiders hire Brown, the rule is the employee has to work for the originating team for 2 years. Trey Brown was hired in spring of 2021. He hasn’t even worked for the Bengals for a year yet. He had no role in any previous draft or in the major free agent signings.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2022, 09:10 AM)pally Wrote: Before you guys get too excited over potential comp picks if the Raiders hire Brown, the rule is the employee has to work for the originating team for 2 years. Trey Brown was hired in spring of 2021. He hasn’t even worked for the Bengals for a year yet. He had no role in any previous draft or in the major free agent signings.

Shoot! I was thinking he came on in 2019. Ok Raiders, don’t hire him yet.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:07 PM)jason Wrote: Hope this isn't the scout that noticed Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow are good.

You don't have to be a scout to notice those dudes!
Reply/Quote
I suppose the more this organization experiences success, the more we'll see talent heading to other organizations. I don't mind unless the exodus stems from the Bengals personnel being severely underpaid compared to peers in similar positions for other teams.

Let the Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor trees of NFL Winning Football 101 commence!
Reply/Quote