Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raiders WR Henry Ruggs
Henry Ruggs is being charged in a DUI resulting in death stemming from an accident in the early morning of 11/2 in Vegas. Ruggs corvette hit a Toyota RAV4. The Toyota driver died.

Bengals play the Raiders in 3 weeks

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Holy moly. First the emails and then this (which is 1000000x worse btw)

I don’t think the raiders will be able to maintain their early season success. Too many emotional daggers not to mention Ruggs was actually a good wr.

This will be a sad example for years to come. Top talent turned drunken killer.
Reply/Quote
Minimum of 2 years in the state pen...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Horrible story from every angle. Just horrible.
Reply/Quote
I hope they throw the book at him. I have absolutely zero patience for drunk drivers. Especially in the era of Uber and Lyft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think a lifetime ban from the league is in order, if he is indeed responsible for killing the victim.
Reply/Quote
Sad sorry and sounds bad but I never pass judgement until found guilty...
Reply/Quote
Oof. That's terrible.

I'm of the opinion the driving under the influence should be a zero tolerance policy. Like said above, with things like uber and left there is no reason for this to happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sad sorry and sounds bad but I never pass judgement until found guilty...

Facepalm

What a weird take. Pretty clear cut case. Not sure what other information you’re waiting for here? The guy drove drunk, and he killed someone.

This poor woman literally burned to death. **** Henry Ruggs. **** him to utmost degree.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 07:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I hope they throw the book at him. I have absolutely zero patience for drunk drivers. Especially in the era of Uber and Lyft.

I agree with this, but Ruggs was driving an ultra expensive car at an unlawful and unsafe speed in addition to being intoxicated...that goes beyond what uber and lyft can prevent.  Ruggs is 22 so he isn't exactly a kid, but I remember when I was a teenager and dudes I knew and even one of my friends who lived to be a reasonable adult would just drive like absolute maniacs and think nothing of it.  There is just something in some people that turns off that logic center in their brain, because where I came from driving and crashing and dying was oddly common.

I guess what I'm saying is that uber probably isn't going to prevent stuff like this because it isn't about getting from point A to point B, it's about showing off how awesome and daring you are.  At least that is my take.  This wasn't a routine crash, and it wasn't even routine as far as DUIs go.

Looking at the damage to Ruggs' corvette, I'm amazed he isn't dead.  His car is shredded, and the SUV of the victim burst into flames. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 09:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree with this, but Ruggs was driving an ultra expensive car at an unlawful and unsafe speed in addition to being intoxicated...that goes beyond what uber and lyft can prevent.  Ruggs is 22 so he isn't exactly a kid, but I remember when I was a teenager and dudes I knew and even one of my friends who lived to be a reasonable adult would just drive like absolute maniacs and think nothing of it.  There is just something in some people that turns off that logic center in their brain, because where I came from driving and crashing and dying was oddly common.

I guess what I'm saying is that uber probably isn't going to prevent stuff like this because it isn't about getting from point A to point B, it's about showing off how awesome and daring you are.  At least that is my take.  This wasn't a routine crash, and it wasn't even routine as far as DUIs go. 

I honestly have no idea what point you’re trying to make here. It’s pretty simple - - if you are drinking; don’t ***** get behind the wheel. Period. I don’t care if he was 22 and driving a corvette, or 52 and driving a Ford Focus. The guy ended another human being’s life in an absolutely horrific way. And it was 100% preventable. There’s really nothing else that needs to be said. Other than the penalty for a DUI manslaughter should be much more severe.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 10:15 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I honestly have no idea what point you’re trying to make here. It’s pretty simple - - if you are drinking; don’t ***** get behind the wheel. Period. I don’t care if he was 22 and driving a corvette, or 52 and driving a Ford Focus. The guy ended another human being’s life in an absolutely horrific way. And it was 100% preventable. There’s really nothing else that needs to be said. Other than the penalty for a DUI manslaughter should be much more severe.

I'm saying that he was drunk AND driving like a delusional ass who thinks he is the only person on the planet and him showing off that he's a baddass who can be reckless is worth putting lives at risk.

What in my post makes you think I'm defending him?  I'd say I'm going above and beyond because you seem to think a guy who will put people's lives at risk in order to show off is going to be satisfied taking an uber.  It's not about getting from point A to point B...Ruggs was ok with putting people's lives at risk in order to get his jollies behind the wheel.

People who drive like that clearly get some sort of thrill out of the danger of the situation and/or they are too stupid to be able to visualize the very simple possibility of ending their own life or someone else's or going to jail.

So yes, he was drunk AND he was going all-in on being a rotten human being by driving at an unsafe speed while being drunk.  It's a double whammy.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 10:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm saying that he was drunk AND driving like a delusional ass who thinks he is the only person on the planet and him showing off that he's a baddass who can be reckless is worth putting lives at risk.

What in my post makes you think I'm defending him?  I'd say I'm going above and beyond because you seem to think a guy who will put people's lives at risk in order to show off is going to be satisfied taking an uber.  It's not about getting from point A to point B...Ruggs was ok with putting people's lives at risk in order to get his jollies behind the wheel.

People who drive like that clearly get some sort of thrill out of the danger of the situation and/or they are too stupid to be able to visualize the very simple possibility of ending their own life or someone else's or going to jail.

So yes, he was drunk AND he was going all-in on being a rotten human being by driving at an unsafe speed while being drunk.  It's a double whammy.  

Double whammy for sure, but who knows if the outcome is the same had he not been drunk. If he killed her due to just reckless driving it’s another matter (still bad). But there’s just no excuse for getting behind the wheel drunk. Particularly in Las Vegas of all places where taxi’s, ride sharing, etc are so plentiful. Show off the corvette during the day when you’re not drunk if you must. Hell, apparently the NFLPA will even provide free transportation per request for these exact type of situations.

Another infuriating part of these stories is how often the offenders walk away without a scratch.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Double whammy for sure, but who knows if the outcome is the same had he not been drunk. If he killed her due to just reckless driving it’s another matter (still bad). But there’s just no excuse for getting behind the wheel drunk. Particularly in Las Vegas of all places where taxi’s, ride sharing, etc are so plentiful. Show off the corvette during the day when you’re not drunk if you must. Hell, apparently the NFLPA will even provide free transportation per request for these exact type of situations.

Another infuriating part of these stories is how often the offenders walk away without a scratch.

We are getting off topic here, but no one MUST show off via reckless driving at any point of time, sober or otherwise.  Hell, if you are sober and driving like a maniac that says even less about your thought process.  Stuff like this just made me think of how many people think reckless driving is awesome, that's all.  

The cynical truth of it is that doing anything dangerous isn't "cool" unless every now and then someone had to get hurt/killed/ruin his life in the process.  I guess I see it more as there is no excuse to drive drunk and there is no excuse to drive in a manner which puts innocent lives at risk.  Ruggs did both in one fell swoop. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We are getting off topic here, but no one MUST show off via reckless driving at any point of time, sober or otherwise. Hell, if you are sober and driving like a maniac that says even less about your thought process.  Stuff like this just made me think of how many people think reckless driving is awesome, that's all.  

The cynical truth of it is that doing anything dangerous isn't "cool" unless every now and then someone had to get hurt/killed/ruin his life in the process.  I guess I see it more as there is no excuse to drive drunk and there is no excuse to drive in a manner which puts innocent lives at risk.  Ruggs did both in one fell swoop. 

I agree. But we know damn well people don’t buy those types of cars for a nice Sunday drive. Being impaired makes it that much harder to handle such a machine, and you don’t hear about nearly as many reckless driving fatalities as you do from drunk driving. Basically both are really bad, but driving like a maniac and being drunk is worse.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 04:19 PM)jason Wrote: Minimum of 2 years in the state pen...

So likely 6 months on good behavior and parole? I know Vehicular Manslaughter is also a misdemeanor so possible house arrest instead?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 11:12 PM)Synric Wrote: So likely 6 months on good behavior and parole? I know Vehicular Manslaughter is also a misdemeanor so possible house arrest instead?

From what I read it's a felony... But I heard that charge was DUI resulting in death. They're calling it a class B felony with a 2 year minimum sentence that can reach 20.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 09:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree with this, but Ruggs was driving an ultra expensive car at an unlawful and unsafe speed in addition to being intoxicated...that goes beyond what uber and lyft can prevent.  Ruggs is 22 so he isn't exactly a kid, but I remember when I was a teenager and dudes I knew and even one of my friends who lived to be a reasonable adult would just drive like absolute maniacs and think nothing of it.  There is just something in some people that turns off that logic center in their brain, because where I came from driving and crashing and dying was oddly common.

Looking at the damage to Ruggs' corvette, I'm amazed he isn't dead.  His car is shredded, and the SUV of the victim burst into flames. 

Those Corvettes are built to come apart like that to disperse energy in a high speed crash.  Things sit so low that he probably went up underneath the RAV 4 and punctured the tank.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 10:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Double whammy for sure, but who knows if the outcome is the same had he not been drunk. If he killed her due to just reckless driving it’s another matter (still bad). But there’s just no excuse for getting behind the wheel drunk. Particularly in Las Vegas of all places where taxi’s, ride sharing, etc are so plentiful. Show off the corvette during the day when you’re not drunk if you must. Hell, apparently the NFLPA will even provide free transportation per request for these exact type of situations.

Hypothetically, taxis and such can prevent this stuff.  However, if you're drunk, your thought process is impeded, so you won't necessarily make the right decision.  Lots of people make dumb decisions while they're under the influence.

Problem is, in society, it's ok to drive drunk unless you kill somebody.  If society was serious about stopping this stuff, bars wouldn't exist.  Restaurants that serve alcohol would be required to take the keys of patrons before serving them and not return them until the can blow under the legal limit on a breathalyzer.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2021, 01:19 AM)Whatever Wrote: Hypothetically, taxis and such can prevent this stuff.  However, if you're drunk, your thought process is impeded, so you won't necessarily make the right decision.  Lots of people make dumb decisions while they're under the influence.

Problem is, in society, it's ok to drive drunk unless you kill somebody.  If society was serious about stopping this stuff, bars wouldn't exist.  Restaurants that serve alcohol would be required to take the keys of patrons before serving them and not return them until the can blow under the legal limit on a breathalyzer.

Not really. DUI’s are pretty costly to the average working stiff. We’re talking thousands of dollars. The deterrent is there, but unfortunately some people are just flat out idiots, and even that doesn’t stop them.

Reply/Quote