Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raiders WR Henry Ruggs
I bought a 69 Pontiac Gto when I was 14. Never killed anyone.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We are getting off topic here, but no one MUST show off via reckless driving at any point of time, sober or otherwise.  Hell, if you are sober and driving like a maniac that says even less about your thought process.  Stuff like this just made me think of how many people think reckless driving is awesome, that's all.  

The cynical truth of it is that doing anything dangerous isn't "cool" unless every now and then someone had to get hurt/killed/ruin his life in the process.  I guess I see it more as there is no excuse to drive drunk and there is no excuse to drive in a manner which puts innocent lives at risk.  Ruggs did both in one fell swoop. 

I many ways, too many to mention I have more empathy for the drunk who does it than I do for someone sober who does it. At least the drunk has some kind of reasoning, they're impaired and so is their judgement. When they're sober there is no excuse other than just pure assholiness at best.. I won't defend his actions in any way, but I used to drink and drive quite a bit when i was young so I do understand a bit how the brain works or doesn't under the influence of alcohol which is why i made the conscious decision to quit consuming alcohol entirely. I know how unpredictable I am when drunk.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2021, 07:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: I many ways, too many to mention I have more empathy for the drunk who does it than I do for someone sober who does it. At least the drunk has some kind of reasoning, they're impaired and so is their judgement. When they're sober there is no excuse other than just pure assholiness at best.. I won't defend his actions in any way, but I used to drink and drive quite a bit when i was young so I do understand a bit how the brain works or doesn't under the influence of alcohol which is why i made the conscious decision to quit consuming alcohol entirely. I know how unpredictable I am when drunk.
Before I quit drinking I had worked my way up to 6-12 beers a night 5 days a week and was good for 12-15 Sat & Sun.  My wife and I went out 4-6 times a week to bars.  Thankfully I hate being really drunk and was always chasing the buzz, so I would slow down to maintain the buzz, but kept from getting completely sloppy.  I drove all the time like that and I am certainly not proud of it.  I am very blessed and thankful nothing ever happened.  I drove hundreds of times over a number of years like that.

One day I woke up late, tired and grouchy (as usual) on the weekend and my kid wanted to play and I was grouchy towards him.  It hit me right then and there that I needed to make a change and there was no way I was going to be that kind of father to my 2 beautiful children.  I stopped drinking that day and never looked back.  

My daughter was not old enough to remember, but my son (almost 14), unfortunately still remembers how I was.  Nothing super bad.  Just always tired, kinda grouchy and unmotivated to do anything.  Hopefully that will fade over the years.

March 22' will be 6 years since I last had a drink and don't miss it one bit.  I also quit ciggys 15 years ago at age 32.  What an insanely dumb habit that was.

Sorry, I guess that was not really on topic.
Reply/Quote
(11-05-2021, 07:53 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: In 2009 Donté Stallworth was charged with DUI manslaughter when he struck and killed a pedestrian while driving under the influence.  Under a plea deal, he received a sentence of 30 days in the county jail, plus 1,000 hours of community service, two years of community control, and eight years' probation. He was also suspended for the 2009 season.   He then went on to play in the NFL during the 2010, 2011 and 2012 seasons.

If the information about Ruggs  is accurate I hope the prosecutors do not let him plea to a lesser charge (yes I believe in innocent until proven guilty).  I have read articles where people claim the woman killed was heard screaming as she burned alive.  That's just horrible.  

Oh God... I was hoping this wasn't the case (hoped that she was knocked unconscious and couldn't feel it)... that's even more-horrifying Sad
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
This was a terrible tragedy that could have been avoided. I agree there are consequences for our actions. I hope Ruggs gets help regarding his mental condition after this event and he should do jail time. His life has been changed forever.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Saw another video of him the other day where he was showing off in the same car last year, again with his girl in the passenger seat. It had been posted on social media back then. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
And evidently because he wasn't getting enough attention, now some idiot on the Giants posted "we young, we gonna make mistakes"
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 03:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And evidently because  he wasn't getting enough attention, now some idiot on the Giants posted "we young, we gonna make mistakes"

young and dumb reminds me of a weird al song
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 03:33 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And evidently because  he wasn't getting enough attention, now some idiot on the Giants posted "we young, we gonna make mistakes"

I wonder if that person would make the same statement if a 22 year old was accused of being drunk while driving over 150 miles per hour in a residential zone and one of their close family members was killed as a result.  

Edit: I looked up the full quote

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/10/giants-receiver-kadarius-toney-addresses-henry-ruggs-iii-tweet

Quote:"We young…..everybody make mistakes….y’all lookin at the situation like “this or that” kuz it ain’t y’all…having so much too say….he know he messed up don’t drag em for it……that’s goofy to me….just pray for the families involved,” Toney tweeted last week.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2021, 05:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I wonder if that person would make the same statement if a 22 year old was accused of being drunk while driving over 150 miles per hour in a residential zone and one of their close family members was killed as a result.  

Edit:  I looked up the full quote

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/11/10/giants-receiver-kadarius-toney-addresses-henry-ruggs-iii-tweet

Yep, that's it. Toney wasn't sure everyone in the world knew he was an idiot, so he tried to make sure.
Reply/Quote
Now Ruggs has been ordered back to court because he missed one of his mandatory alcohol tests due at 4:41 PM Saturday. His lawyers claim he missed it due to trouble with the equipment. He apparently self tested at 6:28 PM the same day. His lawyers are also seeking fire department records because allegedly a witness claimed that the fire department was slow to put the fire out. "A Clark County spokesman has said there were no delays in the firefighting response or the attack on the fire."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32655440/judge-orders-henry-ruggs-back-court-missed-alcohol-test

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 01:25 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Now Ruggs has been ordered back to court because he missed one of his mandatory alcohol tests due at 4:41 PM Saturday.  His lawyers claim he missed it due to trouble with the equipment.  He apparently self tested at 6:28 PM the same day.  His lawyers are also seeking fire department records because allegedly a witness claimed that the fire department was slow to put the fire out.  "A Clark County spokesman has said there were no delays in the firefighting response or the attack on the fire."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32655440/judge-orders-henry-ruggs-back-court-missed-alcohol-test

That's just going to piss people off. 
Reply/Quote
(11-18-2021, 01:25 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Now Ruggs has been ordered back to court because he missed one of his mandatory alcohol tests due at 4:41 PM Saturday.  His lawyers claim he missed it due to trouble with the equipment.  He apparently self tested at 6:28 PM the same day.  His lawyers are also seeking fire department records because allegedly a witness claimed that the fire department was slow to put the fire out.  "A Clark County spokesman has said there were no delays in the firefighting response or the attack on the fire."

(11-18-2021, 05:49 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's just going to piss people off. 

Based off the cell phone video, the car was completely engulfed before FD arrived. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Now it appears Rugg's legal team is trying to get the blood alcohol evidence excluded.  

https://247sports.com/Article/Henry-Ruggs-lawyers-want-blood-alcohol-evidence-excluded-from-trial-per-report-188706277/

Lawyers doing the thing they are paid for.  But still speeding at 156 MPH which resulted in a woman and her dog burning to death.  I hope if he is found guilty he gets 1 year for every MPH he was over over the speed limit.  If the blood alcohol is admitted then another 5 years for every point he was over the legal limit for alcohol in his system.  

That poor woman's family will be dealing with this for years.  Having to watch how her alleged killer and lawyers are trying to minimize the charges when the family probably wants justice.

Personally the evidence, at least via the media is damning, and I think Ruggs should own up to it and take his punishment.  Given his status even if he pleads guilty or is found guilty he will unfortunately get off easy compared to the average person just like Donté Stallworth, Vince Neil etc.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2022, 05:13 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Now it appears Rugg's legal team is trying to get the blood alcohol evidence excluded.  

https://247sports.com/Article/Henry-Ruggs-lawyers-want-blood-alcohol-evidence-excluded-from-trial-per-report-188706277/

Lawyers doing the thing they are paid for.  But still speeding at 156 MPH which resulted in a woman and her dog burning to death.  I hope if he is found guilty he gets 1 year for every MPH he was over over the speed limit.  If the blood alcohol is admitted then another 5 years for every point he was over the legal limit for alcohol in his system.  

That poor woman's family will be dealing with this for years.  Having to watch how her alleged killer and lawyers are trying to minimize the charges when the family probably wants justice.

Personally the evidence, at least via the media is damning, and I think Ruggs should own up to it and take his punishment.  Given his status even if he pleads guilty or is found guilty he will unfortunately get off easy compared to the average person just like Donté Stallworth, Vince Neil etc.

This guy should be in jail for at least 20 years imo.  and all money earned from NFL should go to the family
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 02:32 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: This guy should be in jail for at least 20 years imo.  and all money earned from NFL should go to the family

Yep driving drunk is stupid and shows disregard for others.   I get it some people do it while lacking judgment.  Still very stupid.  But to drive 156 MPH on a city street, intoxicated or not, that just shows a total lack of caring for others.   If found guilty he should be also banned from the NFL.

The thing about this reminds me of when I was stationed in Germany many years ago.  We were given cards called "Ride For Life."   If we were off base and got drunk at a pub or club we could use it to pay for a taxi back at no cost and no questions asked.  If we used it and asked for another one, again no questions asked.   The purpose was to make sure we got back to the base safe without driving drunk.

I think the NFL could benefit from a similar sort of program if they don't already.   NFL player makes a call, "Hey I'm a bit drunk can you help me get home?"   Team, "No problem we are sending you a taxi (or Uber) to get you home safe. Thank you for being responsible."

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 06:11 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I think the NFL could benefit from a similar sort of program if they don't already.   NFL player makes a call, "Hey I'm a bit drunk can you help me get home?"   Team, "No problem we are sending you a taxi (or Uber) get home safe."

Adding alcohol to a newly wealthy testosterone machine is a recipe for poor judgement about to happen.  The NFL has been educating it's young players for years, even holding seminars at the rookie symposium, specifically aimed at offering them guidance and advice on how to carry themselves in their new life roles.

This entire situation is a sad tragedy, for all involved.  The victim lost their life, the victims family lost a loved one, Henry Ruggs is essentially losing his life for his actions.  I suspect that in about 20 years, Henry Ruggs will have one of those speaking roles at the symposium, educating young men on how to not become a good example of a bad example.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 06:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Henry Ruggs is essentially losing his life for his actions.

No he still has his life while the person he allegedly killed doesn't.  He may never make millions again and play in the NFL but he is still alive.  So he very much still has his life.  Hopefully he makes something better out of it because the woman in that car that burned to death defiantly lost her life from his alleged actions.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
In no way would I defend Ruggs for this, but..as someone who used to drive drunk and has several DUIs myself in my past before quitting drinking entirely . Never once have I woken up and decided to drive drunk with intentions of crashing and killing anyone. That's not how things work. Nobody works their asses off in college to earn millions in the NFL only to wake up one day saying, "You know..This is too nice of a gig. I think I'll just trash the rest of my entire life and go kill someone in a fiery car crash whilst drunk.." It's very unfortunate and Ruggs will pay dearly for it, but no amount of public shaming will ever be worse than what Ruggs will put himself through the rest of his life..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2022, 04:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: In no way would I defend Ruggs for this, but..as someone who used to drive drunk and has several DUIs myself in my past before quitting drinking entirely . Never once have I woken up and decided to drive drunk with intentions of crashing and killing anyone. That's not how things work. Nobody works their asses off in college to earn millions in the NFL only to wake up one day saying, "You know..This is too nice of a gig. I think I'll just trash the rest of my entire life and go kill someone in a fiery car crash whilst drunk.." It's very unfortunate and Ruggs will pay dearly for it, but no amount of public shaming will ever be worse than what Ruggs will put himself through the rest of his life..

I know many people at one time or another have had one too many and got behind the wheel.  Yes I'm sure he didn't say, "Hey I'm going to trash my multi million dollar career by driving drunk."   But he also was going 156 MPH on a city street.  It wasn't just negligence driving a bit drunk.  It was total disregard for others that ended up in the gruesome death of an innocent person.   Of course driving drunk by itself is certainly a disregard for others but add in driving that fast on a city street, or any public road, and the disregard for others is magnified.

And if guilty he should be very much publicly shamed and have to deal with what he did the rest of his life because there is now an innocent person that doesn't even have a life or future.  If found guilty what he will put himself through personally for the rest of his life, time will tell.  If he serves his punishment and does something to better himself and give back to the community then I'll believe it. Unfortunately there have been many cases where rich people have killed others driving drunk, got a slap on the wrist and were able to move on with their lives and even continue lucrative careers.  But the people they killed are gone and their families and loved ones certainly have to suffer that loss the rest of their lives.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote