Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain on Sunday
Who has the advantage? The team with a good ground game (Mixon)? A team used to playing/practicing in the weather (Bengals)?

Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 61F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
F*** yes. W
Reply/Quote
My expectation that rain will help the Bengals more than the Chargers. We have a better run game, a better run defense and are more accustomed to the weather. If your offense relies on passing like the Chargers' does, a wet, cold day will definitely affect you more.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 11:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My expectation that rain will help the Bengals more than the Chargers. We have a better run game, a better run defense and are more accustomed to the weather. If your offense relies on passing like the Chargers' does, a wet, cold day will definitely affect you more.

The epic :"Freezer Bowl" many yrs ago VS Bengals will haunt the Chargers.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 11:51 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My expectation that rain will help the Bengals more than the Chargers. We have a better run game, a better run defense and are more accustomed to the weather. If your offense relies on passing like the Chargers' does, a wet, cold day will definitely affect you more.

The Bengals and Chargers have roughly the same run-game effectiveness. The Bengals have more yards total because they have ran the ball more. 

YPC - Chargers (10th) vs Bengals (21st)

Attempts per touchdown - Chargers (11th) vs Bengals (8th)

EPA per rush - Chargers (9th) vs Bengals (10th)

Success Rate - Chargers (20th) vs Bengals (18th)

The big difference is that the Chargers run defense STINKS. So, Cincinnati should have the more favorable match-up. 
Reply/Quote
The one game I am going to this year...joy
Reply/Quote
The team that doesn't rely on the cozy confines of a practice bubble.  Ninja

Really though, maybe it provides a small edge to the Bengals. Still, I doubt it's something that decides the game. Whatever they're used to, every single player on that field will have played football in the rain before. It doesn't look like it will be cold at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:20 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The team that doesn't rely on the cozy confines of a practice bubble.  Ninja

Really though, maybe it provides a small edge to the Bengals. Still, I doubt it's something that decides the game. Whatever they're used to, every single player on that field will have played football in the rain before. It doesn't look like it will be cold at all.

Eh, cold has levels. My family in Texas start to shiver in the low 70s. Then again, I sweat like a stuffed pig in the 90s while they're wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 12:07 PM)kalibengal Wrote: The epic :"Freezer Bowl" many yrs ago VS Bengals will haunt the Chargers.  

I was at the 2014 playoff game against the Chargers and the temperature was in the 20's and the Bengals found a way to lose that one. That's when Andy coughed up the ball when he went to the ground. It was bitterly cold that day, but luckily for me I was sitting between two fat guys and they kept me warm.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:56 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I was at the 2014 playoff game against the Chargers and the temperature was in the 20's and the Bengals found a way to lose that one. That's when Andy coughed up the ball when he went to the ground. It was bitterly cold that day, but luckily for me I was sitting between two fat guys and they kept me warm.

Chargers playoff game was the 2013 season. That game was embarrassing. I was there too to see washed up Ronnie Brown get that long rushing TD to put it away. Oof.

I remember it being cold, but I didn't think it was 20s cold.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chargers playoff game was the 2013 season. That game was embarrassing. I was there too to see washed up Ronnie Brown get that long rushing TD to put it away. Oof.

The game was played on Jan 5, 2014. And you're correct about the temperature. I looked it up and it wasn't bitterly cold that day. That evening the temp took a nosedive and dropped to around 0 that night.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:46 PM)BengalRed Wrote: The game was played on Jan 5, 2014. And you're correct about the temperature. I looked it up and it wasn't bitterly cold that day. That evening the temp took a nosedive and dropped to around 0 that night.

That was a bitterly cold winter. There were multiple week long stretches of single digit high temperatures. That was also the year the Super Bowl was in New York... They lucked out by having a balmy Sunday for it surrounded by frigid days.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'd take no rain personally. I'll take my chances with Joey B and and the skill guys as comfy as possible. But hey it's December football gotta play in bad weather if you want to be a playoff team
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 01:56 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I was at the 2014 playoff game against the Chargers and the temperature was in the 20's and the Bengals found a way to lose that one. That's when Andy coughed up the ball when he went to the ground. It was bitterly cold that day, but luckily for me I was sitting between two fat guys and they kept me warm.

Hey, I am just big boned not fat
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 11:49 AM)BengalRed Wrote: Who has the advantage? The team with a good ground game (Mixon)? A team used to playing/practicing in the weather (Bengals)?

Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 61F. Winds S at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

I would say the team with the best rushing attack, but either way, I HATE rain games.  I wish we had a dome like Indy or Detroit.  Call me old...you would be right. 

I took my dad to that game in 2005 at Detroit's stadium where the Bengals locked up the AFC North.   What a game, and what a stadium.  
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 06:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hey, I am just big boned not fat

Lol. It surely wasn't you unless you were sitting in the nosebleed section like I was that day.  Wink
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have both the better rush offense and defense. Any rain SHOULD be a benefit to the good guys.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2021, 02:20 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Chargers playoff game was the 2013 season. That game was embarrassing. I was there too to see washed up Ronnie Brown get that long rushing TD to put it away. Oof.

It was in the low 40s.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-03-2021, 02:22 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It was in the low 40s.

It's weird. I remember that leading up to that game weather people were predicting temps to be near zero, and how they were comparing it to the freezer bowl, although not quite as extreme, so I went out and bought hand warmers to put in my coat pockets. And I seem to remember that it was really cold so I looked up the weather from back then and it was, in fact, in the 40's that day, although that night the temp dropped to around zero. I know I'm getting old but I didn't think my memory was getting THAT bad. LOL.
Reply/Quote
December 24, 2006 Bengals vs Broncos

It was 30 degrees at kickoff with 20MPH winds. WeatherUnderground says there wasn't any snow that day, but I distinctly remember it snowing at the end and the highlights from the game confirm that.

My feet were still cold the next morning.
Reply/Quote