Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain, rain, wind and hurricanes
This is getting old folks. I'm really lucky that so far none of these hurricanes have impacted us nearly as much as others, but they're still annoying.. Michael is on us as I type bringing lots o rain and wind..It's still to the southwest of us heading our way. I don't expect any significant damage, but you never know .
On the subject of hurricanes, has anyone paid much attention to Leslie, the most deadly of all the hurricanes this season? It hasn't affected the mainland US other than 7some high tides, but has been churning around the Atlantic for a good while now and caused a bunch of damage and death in Jamaica and other islands. That one began back on the 6th of October and is still causing problems..
Wifes nephew is in Panama City area.. no word on how they've fared through it.  
Hopefully everyone has stayed safe, healthy and has not had any significant damage to property nor life .. 
Current screen shot of my location on storm tracking app.. Looks a lot worse than it is so far.. Think I ought to go fishin? Not this morning 6:29am anyway.. 
[Image: plp34Fthp]
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 07:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: This is getting old folks. I'm really lucky that so far none of these hurricanes have impacted us nearly as much as others, but they're still annoying.. Michael is on us as I type bringing lots o rain and wind..It's still to the southwest of us heading our way. I don't expect any significant damage, but you never know .
On the subject of hurricanes, has anyone paid much attention to Leslie, the most deadly of all the hurricanes this season? It hasn't affected the mainland US other than some high tides, but has been churning around the Atlantic for a good while now and caused a bunch of damage and death in Jamaica and other islands. That one began back on the 6th of October and is still causing problems..
Wifes nephew is in Panama City area.. no word on how they've fared through it.  
Hopefully everyone has stayed safe, healthy and has not had any significant damage to property nor life .. 

Hope you and your family stay safe gramps!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 07:26 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Hope you and your family stay safe gramps!

We're fine other than my dad who is in constant panic mode always expecting the worst possible outcome to ,well...everything.. If there was such a thing as the 24/7 Worst Possible Scenario Bad News channel he'd stay glued to it .lol
Now that would be a real money maker for bad news junkies wouldn't it? 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
When I saw Michaels projected path, I was saddened on the impact. Not only for everyone involved, but more so for those who haven’t even began to recover from Florence yet. We got the call again yesterday to send more tankers south to the storm. I was up late last night getting these guys moving towards Michael and they will arrive mid-day with Diesel and gas for rescue workers and first responders. Poor S.E. Is getting hammered this year and my prayers go out to everyone impacted by these disasters.

Reply/Quote
I live about 25 miles west of Panama City Beach. Because of a mandatory evacuation I ended up in Mobile Alabama this week. Just got back to my house and we dodged a bullet. No damage to speak of. My heart truly breaks for the individuals very close by to the east that have lost everything. That was a storm for the ages.

Reply/Quote
I was online and seen a train ripped from it wheels from Michael. Damn!

Reply/Quote
Not to downplay any of the seriousness of this storm and all the damage its left behind in its wake, but does anyone else hear the Halloween theme song playing in the background whenever you hear someone talking about this storm?   or is it just me?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Is it me or does it seem these hurricanes are happening more often? Global warming?
Why do people live in these areas that this shit happens? If they don't have insurance, should the tax payers pay for their loss?
Just like New Orleans for example. Its below sea level.
Why do people build in these areas subject to devastation? Weather, right? It don't matter for wealthy people but how about the lower and middle class people?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 05:42 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Is it me or does it seem these hurricanes are happening more often? Global warming?
Why do people live in these areas that this shit happens? If they don't have insurance, should the tax payers pay for their loss?
Just like New Orleans for example. Its below sea level.
Why do people build in these areas subject to devastation? Weather, right? It don't matter for wealthy people but how about the lower and middle class people?

Are you implying that nobody should live on any coastline from New York City al the way down and around to the southern tip of Texas? By that logic why would people live in the north where ice storms can cripple and cause extensive damage to entire cities, counties or states? Why would people live in the Midwest where tornadoes can happen? Out west? Earthquakes and wildfires. Or areas prone to tsunamis? Typhoons? In this day and age natural disasters can happen anywhere. No matter where you live, it could very well be you that needs the help next time a natural disaster strikes.

Reply/Quote
My wifes nephew lives in Mexico Beach. They got extraordinarily lucky and had just minor damage to their house considering everything. 
He's in the Air Force down there and the base commander basically told anyone who can to get out of town until further notice. The AFB was pretty much totaled.. He and his wife are headed to Mississippi where his mama lives to stay with them..

Just wondering if Wright Patterson has been busy.  I remember back during other hurricanes (when I lived in Dayton) they would scramble jets to WPAFB then when the hurricanes were past it would be non-stop jets taking off for a few days. I lived up on Gunkle Road during one and the jets flying directly over the house rattled the windows and basically shook the foundation of the house.. It made it kind of tough to sleep at the time.  

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2018, 05:51 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Are you implying that nobody should live on any coastline from New York City al the way down and around to the southern tip of Texas? By that logic why would people live in the north where ice storms can cripple and cause extensive damage to entire cities, counties or states? Why would people live in the Midwest where tornadoes can happen? Out west? Earthquakes and wildfires. Or areas prone to tsunamis? Typhoons? In this day and age natural disasters can happen anywhere. No matter where you live, it could very well be you that needs the help next time a natural disaster strikes.

Yea, Your right. With this global warming going on there is no place to hide.
Reply/Quote
Here in RVA we got a ridiculous amount of rain and high winds when Michael passed through.

Some family members lost power and will be without through tomorrow.

What amazed me most with this storm is how quickly it got from the Gulf Coast to the Mid-Atlantic, and how quickly it passed through when it got here.

I am grateful for how it worked out here, though. My nephew's wedding was yesterday, and outdoors at that. Fortunately it left quick enough that they were able to clean up the war zone look in time for Friday's rehearsal dinner to just look like the ground was damp, and the winds didn't damage any of the altar structures, etc.

I hope everyone else came through just as well...
Reply/Quote