Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rampant Out of Control Crime
They keep saying it. And you know who is to blame. Violent crime is ravaging our communities.

But wait! There’s more.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/30/trump-crime-fbi-data-murder-statistics/73443631007/

“The FBI’s national crime estimates for 2022 found that violent crime decreased 1.7% and there were 6.7% fewer murders. Complete FBI crime data for 2023 won’t be released until the fall, but quarterly reports show violent crime continuing to drop.”

Not sure who to believe here. The politicians who want you fearing for your life and outraged so you vote for them because they are the only one who can save you. Or statistics.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 10:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: They keep saying it. And you know who is to blame. Violent crime is ravaging our communities.

But wait! There’s more.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2024/04/30/trump-crime-fbi-data-murder-statistics/73443631007/

“The FBI’s national crime estimates for 2022 found that violent crime decreased 1.7% and there were 6.7% fewer murders. Complete FBI crime data for 2023 won’t be released until the fall, but quarterly reports show violent crime continuing to drop.”

Not sure who to believe here. The politicians who want you fearing for your life and outraged so you vote for them because they are the only one who can save you. Or statistics.

Nati, my brother in Christ.  A national drop in any crime is not the key statistical point, it's the regional statistics that matter.  If you're concern is "woke" DA's then a national drop in crime means nothing on its own.  The drop, or rise, in areas overseen by said DA's is.  Statistics are great, and certainly useful, but without understanding of their meaning they are useless.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 11:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Nati, my brother in Christ.  A national drop in any crime is not the key statistical point, it's the regional statistics that matter.  If you're concern is "woke" DA's then a national drop in crime means nothing on its own.  The drop, or rise, in areas overseen by said DA's is.  Statistics are great, and certainly useful, but without understanding of their meaning they are useless.

That’s not the story being told to the base. Is my point.

https://bidenbloodbath.com/ Brought to you by………. The RNC

Hate, fear, outrage, and division. The GOP method to get your vote.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 10:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: They keep saying it. And you know who is to blame. Violent crime is ravaging our communities.

But wait! There’s more.

Take a few well publicized horrific incidents, play them on a never ending loop, and have well rehearsed over the top, the sky is falling commentary and suddenly you have a false narrative brought to you by Fox News and the RNC
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:01 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That’s not the story being told to the base. Is my point.

https://bidenbloodbath.com/   Brought to you by………. The RNC

Hate, fear, outrage, and division. The GOP method to get your vote.

Again, my friend, national numbers aren't important when we're talking about party/area specific agendas.  Would a national abortion access statistic mean anything to a woman in Mississippi?  Don't be the sheep they expect, don't swallow what you're spoon fed.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:17 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Again, my friend, national numbers aren't important when we're talking about party/area specific agendas.  Would a national abortion access statistic mean anything to a woman in Mississippi?  Don't be the sheep they expect, don't swallow what you're spoon fed.

They kind of are when I'm talking about national politics.

Ya know.

The message from the Republican National Convention?
Reply/Quote
I don't have to hear Republicans or Democrats tell me about crime. I can just turn on the morning local news and see for myself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Now that crime is under control and the economy is the best that it's ever been, Americans are now free to prosper in peace!

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 07:50 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I don't have to hear Republicans or Democrats tell me about crime.  I can just turn on the morning local news and see for myself.

Once again we'll have the conversation about how "if it bleeds it leads" and that in a world of 24/7 news coverage on multiple stations the "news" is about what will get eye and click and make people come back for more.

In the "Year of the Shark Deaths" we had fewer shark deaths than average but more reports on them.

Saving a puppy or kids helping collect garbage doesn't do it.  Murder, accidents, death...they do.

Give 'em what they want.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 02:17 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: They kind of are when I'm talking about national politics.

Ya know.

The message from the Republican National Convention?

Is that the message?  I believe the message is that Dems are soft on crime.  That being the case why would numbers in GOP controlled areas even enter the picture?

There are literally two types of people talking about the national number.  1. Democrats trying to obscure their abject failure on this issue and 2.  You.

Dino wants us to believe it's only a perception caused by media coverage.  I can tell you first hand it's not.  It's much worse than it's ever been in my 23 years of doing this job.  Much worse, and I've been saying this consistently for over four years now.  Discussing the crime rate falling in rural areas doesn't begin to address the policy failures in major urban areas.  Again, don't fall for the lie.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:08 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Is that the message?  I believe the message is that Dems are soft on crime.  That being the case why would numbers in GOP controlled areas even enter the picture?

There are literally two types of people talking about the national number.  1. Democrats trying to obscure their abject failure on this issue and 2.  You.

Dino wants us to believe it's only a perception caused by media coverage.  I can tell you first hand it's not.  It's much worse than it's ever been in my 23 years of doing this job.  Much worse, and I've been saying this consistently for over four years now.  Discussing the crime rate falling in rural areas doesn't begin to address the policy failures in major urban areas.  Again, don't fall for the lie.

I just know it is ALL the fault of the "dems" since there are no republicans involved in any place that has a crime problem... Mellow ... but that's not what I was talking about.

I was merely saying that relying on the news as he basis for "crime is up" will mislead someone since that what they will report on.

No station talks about how "West Bloomfield had no crime today, also it was reported that police had no calls to respond to in Millsburg."

Also, if crime is up in Los Angles, CA and down in Lower nowhere, CA the numbers will show crime is down in CA only if it is down MORE than it is up in LA.  That's how numbers work.

So LA might have a problem but overall there is less of a problem.  

Maybe they all go to your area because they are so well read they know the progressives will let them get away with everything?  Maybe there is so much crime they think the police can't catch them all?  I don't know, I'm just asking.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: I just know it is ALL the fault of the "dems" since there are no republicans involved in any place that has a crime problem... Mellow ... but that's not what I was talking about.

At the risk of making an absolutist statement, I don't think you'll find a single soft on crime GOP politician.  The Dems are rife with them.  Claiming otherwise is like saying the Dems are responsible for 01/06.  It's patently absurd.

Quote:I was merely saying that relying on the news as he basis for "crime is up" will mislead someone since that what they will report on.

No station talks about how "West Bloomfield had no crime today, also it was reported that police had no calls to respond to in Millsburg."

Yes, your point was understood as illustrated by my previous post.

Quote:Also, if crime is up in Los Angles, CA and down in Lower nowhere, CA the numbers will show crime is down in CA only if it is down MORE than it is up in LA.  That's how numbers work.

Indeed, hence my pointing out that a decline in crime in rural areas is not reflective of the reality in urban areas.

Quote:Maybe they all go to your area because they are so well read they know the progressives will let them get away with everything?  Maybe there is so much crime they think the police can't catch them all?  I don't know, I'm just asking.

It's actually true.  There's literal billboards on the freeways here from Orange County warning LA criminals that in OC they actually prosecute.  I've had numerous criminals tell me that they stick to LA because they know surrounding counties are harder on crime.  Hopefully that comes to an end this November.

[Image: IMG_0242.jpeg]

There's a bunch of these btw.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: I just know it is ALL the fault of the "dems" since there are no republicans involved in any place that has a crime problem... Mellow ... but that's not what I was talking about.

I was merely saying that relying on the news as he basis for "crime is up" will mislead someone since that what they will report on.

Also, if crime is up in Los Angles, CA and down in Lower nowhere, CA the numbers will show crime is down in CA only if it is down MORE than it is up in LA.  That's how numbers work.

Maybe they all go to your area because they are so well read they know the progressives will let them get away with everything?  Maybe there is so much crime they think the police can't catch them all?  I don't know, I'm just asking.

It's much more than just "his area".  For example, San Francisco went to the point of de-criminalizing many crimes, shoplifing under a certain dollar amount being one of them. On one hand, crime is "down", on the other hand stores are closing up in droves in the SF market. In fact, it's getting so bad in SF that they are now trying to make it illegal for stores to close down.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's much more than just "his area".  For example, San Francisco went to the point of de-criminalizing many crimes, shoplifing under a certain dollar amount being one of them. On one hand, crime is "down", on the other hand stores are closing up in droves in the SF market. In fact, it's getting so bad in SF that they are now trying to make it illegal for stores to close down.

Aye. 

He was saying he sees it all the time in his area.  I mean, come on, he as LEO.  OF COURSE he sees crime all the time.  If he was a teacher he'd see kids all the time.  That's not saying he's wrong or lying (that's what he say about others), I was just making an example about the national numbers. 

The board has been over whether the thefts were the driving reason for stores closing.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 12:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's much more than just "his area".  For example, San Francisco went to the point of de-criminalizing many crimes, shoplifing under a certain dollar amount being one of them. On one hand, crime is "down", on the other hand stores are closing up in droves in the SF market. In fact, it's getting so bad in SF that they are now trying to make it illegal for stores to close down.

It's a CA wide problem as well.  Even in more strict counties like Kern state law ties their hands.  Retail theft under $950 is a misdemeanor, I've literally seen cases, many of them, where the criminal uses the calculator on their phone to determine how much they can steal without catching a felony.  Of course, in counties like LA, Alameda and SF the DA usually won't file charges on misdemeanor theft, so essentially a person can steal under $950 a pop with literal impunity.  Hence the businesses closing.  Downton SF is a ghost town.  A friend who lives there told me every single store is closed.

Oh, the law to make it illegal to close is for grocery stores only.  The (self created) "food desert" is a major Dem talking point here.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:16 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's a CA wide problem as well.  Even in more strict counties like Kern state law ties their hands.  Retail theft under $950 is a misdemeanor, I've literally seen cases, many of them, where the criminal uses the calculator on their phone to determine how much they can steal without catching a felony.  Of course, in counties like LA, Alameda and SF the DA usually won't file charges on misdemeanor theft, so essentially a person can steal under $950 a pop with literal impunity.  Hence the businesses closing.  Downton SF is a ghost town.  A friend who lives there told me every single store is closed.

Oh, the law to make it illegal to close is for grocery stores only.  The (self created) "food desert" is a major Dem talking point here.

I found a video making the same claim about downtown SF.

It opens with a store that is open (but will close soon) and he walks around downtown pointing out the closed business while people walk into the open ones.

Also he seemed to walk around with no crime around him.

Nonetheless there are a myriad of reasons why a business closes...and why an area that was once booming dies.  It's too easy for people to say "CRIME!" now and late it will be "LAZY PEOPLE WON'T WORK!". 

I just don't believe the answer is as simple as "dems" are bad.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: I found a video making the same claim about downtown SF.

It opens with a store that is open (but will close soon) and he walks around downtown pointing out the closed business while people walk into the open ones.

Also he seemed to walk around with no crime around him.

Nonetheless there are a myriad of reasons why a business closes...and why an area that was once booming dies.  It's too easy for people to say "CRIME!" now and late it will be "LAZY PEOPLE WON'T WORK!". 

I just don't believe the answer is as simple as "dems" are bad.

Yeah, except we've provided you with literal examples of stores closing due to high theft and you twist yourself into knots trying to claim other reasons.  The fact you, and others like you, can't own the Dems utter failure on this issue is exactly why the party as a whole refuses to face it.  

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:35 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yeah, except we've provided you with literal examples of stores closing due to high theft and you twist yourself into knots trying to claim other reasons.  The fact you, and others like you, can't own the Dems utter failure on this issue is exactly why the party as a whole refuses to face it.  

Again, there's a whole thread about it.

I just won't blame it all on one issue.  
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2024, 10:26 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: They keep saying it. And you know who is to blame. Violent crime is ravaging our communities.

But wait! There’s more.

Crimes committed? or charged?  lots of these DAs are charging folks which would help lower crime statistics
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2024, 01:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: Again, there's a whole thread about it.

I just won't blame it all on one issue.  

Using just SF as an example, why would multiple, literally dozens, of locations close in that exact area?  SF is a town with a shit ton of money in it, retailers should be dying to open locations there, yet they're fleeing in droves.  

Reply/Quote