Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rams Offensive Personnel Packages and What We Might See
On 90% of their plays, the Rams used 3 WR's, a RB, and a TE. I wonder if we'll do the same here?

Interestingly, with only 1 TE used...I wonder how we'd use Eifert/Sample/Uzomah?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 11:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On 90% of their plays, the Rams used 3 WR's, a RB, and a TE. I wonder if we'll do the same here?

Interestingly, with only 1 TE used...I wonder how we'd use Eifert/Sample/Uzomah?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd guess the plan would be to use Sample and Uzomah on everything but 3rd downs and red zone packages.  Then you bring in the glass man.  

Eifert is such a tough question.  You know he's going to break if you overuse him, but he's such an unfair advantage when he's heathy, and Andy uses him well.  The temptation to overuse him is always there, especially when he's out there converting 3rd downs for you.  Until he's not....

Bigger question to me is who's the number 3 WR if Ross can't get his act together. My money is on Erickson. I don't think Malone, Core, or Tate are worth a shit. I used to think Malone would be something eventually, but his career thus far has been pretty discouraging.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't say that they had a deep group of TEs. We definitely could see different packages, especially with our OL. I wouldn't be surprised if Sample is out there just as an extension of our OL. Since the Rams OL was good they wouldn't have to do that.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How much say might Brian Callahan have over this sort of thing? Does anyone know what the 2018 Raiders did? Then again, he was a QB coach so who knows how much he had to do with their system. Also, who is going to watch the 2018 Raiders to analyze the guy? Oof.
Reply/Quote
As ZT would say. This isn't the Rams offense. This is the Bengals offense.

Our #3 TE may be better than their #1 TE
Reply/Quote
Just on a pure guess, I would predict seeing the Bengals in 11 (3WR, 1TE, 1RB), about 70% of offensive snaps, 12 (2WR, 2TE, 1RB) as the alternate grouping.  Not sure what it's called when 1 of the TEs is used as H-back, but I'm pretty sure that we'll see some of that run as well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Though I agree that they didn't pick Sample to ride the pine.

He will be used but Eifert will too.

No way a decent coach doesn't have Tyler in his game-plan or packages.

When you have opposing coaches taking notice about your "glass man" as a threat you can't have him on the sidelines.

I myself don't want Eifert to be overused for chance of injury early but I can't help to think that him being used as #3 WR role over Ross wouldn't be a consideration.

This injured and underwhelming O-Line is what is sinking my hope of guys like Gio getting a fair shake.

Without proper blocking I just don't see Zac Taylor getting creative and propelling other players into more useful tools.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 09:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just on a pure guess, I would predict seeing the Bengals in 11 (3WR, 1TE, 1RB), about 70% of offensive snaps, 12 (2WR, 2TE, 1RB) as the alternate grouping.  Not sure what it's called when 1 of the TEs is used as H-back, but I'm pretty sure that we'll see some of that run as well.

Agree,

I doubt we're gonna see straight Rams offense. A hybrid of for sure but I'd guess we'll see a good bit of non Rams stuff as well. I believe it's going to lean run heavy by today's standards anyways. I'd also say they'll utilize a good bit more passes to TE's. I wouldn't be shocked to see Mixon and Gio out there together as a wrinkle either.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 09:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree,

I doubt we're gonna see straight Rams offense. A hybrid of for sure but I'd guess we'll see a good bit of non Rams stuff as well. I believe it's going to lean run heavy by today's standards anyways. I'd also say they'll utilize a good bit more passes to TE's. I wouldn't be shocked to see Mixon and Gio out there together as a wrinkle either.

You could be right on that.  All indications are that they will be running the ball often and effectively.  If the OL gets to where they can run inside traps effectively on either side of the Center, watch out, because then the PA will be golden. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 12:11 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't say that they had a deep group of TEs. We definitely could see different packages, especially with our OL. I wouldn't be surprised if Sample is out there just as an extension of our OL. Since the Rams OL was good they wouldn't have to do that.

To me, ZT has to mix it up more with two RBs in at same time, 2 TEs in the game same time and so on, Both of our RBs are excellent pass catchers as well as studs running..My biggest concern is the lines ability to do their job at an all pro level.When you have three wide receivers in the game all the time,the defenses are going to key in on that and that is a problem.
Reply/Quote
To me it seems like a waste to have 2 RBs in the game at the same time. A good blocking RB is not as good at blocking as a TE. A good receiving RB is not the same receiving threat as a WR.

I want to keep Mixon's legs fresh. Rest him when he is not carrying the ball instead of making him block or run pass routes.
Reply/Quote
Here is what I would like to see:
I want the scheme to be a non-scheme. Luckily, the one area were we are strong, is in the offensive skill positions.

We have the personnel to do the following in passing game:
1) Similar to Washington, use Ross to decoy in vertical passing combos.
2) Similar to KC, use TE isolation sets. If Eifert is healthy, this would be ideal.
3) Similar to NE, use option routes. This is the most difficult to teach and synchronize - but once in place, it is virtually indefensible. 
We have the personnel to run triangle bunch, mesh, pick, and double slants. 

Depending on front blocking, we could run inside and outside zone run game. Mixon is a patient runner, so counters and traps would work too. 

So, on offense, I really would like to see a completely open system with multiple sets and concepts.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 11:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd guess the plan would be to use Sample and Uzomah on everything but 3rd downs and red zone packages.  Then you bring in the glass man.  

Eifert is such a tough question.  You know he's going to break if you overuse him, but he's such an unfair advantage when he's heathy, and Andy uses him well.  The temptation to overuse him is always there, especially when he's out there converting 3rd downs for you.  Until he's not....

Bigger question to me is who's the number 3 WR if Ross can't get his act together.  My money is on Erickson.  I don't think Malone, Core, or Tate are worth a shit.    I used to think Malone would be something eventually, but his career thus far has been pretty discouraging.

I was kind of surprised that we didn't draft a WR early in the draft...like 2nd Round.

Green is 30 years old and gets injured a decent bit. Boyd is a free agent after this year...and well Ross gets injured a lot and is inconsistent. Plus, last year, outside of Boyd and Green...our other WR's were pretty bad. Erickson has potential, but he definitely hasn't done anything special to this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 11:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd guess the plan would be to use Sample and Uzomah on everything but 3rd downs and red zone packages.  Then you bring in the glass man.  

Bigger question to me is who's the number 3 WR if Ross can't get his act together. My money is on Erickson. I don't think Malone, Core, or Tate are worth a shit. I used to think Malone would be something eventually, but his career thus far has been pretty discouraging.

Overuse hasn't been his problem. A guy weighing 3 bills fell on his leg last year. He had an injury in the pro bowl one year. I guess he has a bad back too. Clearly that's not good. It's an improbable string of bad luck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To me it seems like a waste to have 2 RBs in the game at the same time.  A good blocking RB is not as good at blocking as a TE.  A good receiving RB is not the same receiving threat as a WR.

I want to keep Mixon's legs fresh.  Rest him when he is not carrying the ball instead of making him block or run pass routes.

It's not a waste to have some 2RB packages.  Sometimes major mismatches, and key one on one coverage situations can be achieved by running a 2WR formation, simply because the Safeties must respect the run and underneath routes.  Now do I think that a 2RB formation should be a team's primary personnel grouping?  Heck no, just look at Baltimore last season as a good example of why not.  San Diego's defense got handled by the Ravens, when they played in the regular season.  Then, because Baltimore failed to vary from that grouping and limited play list, San Diego effectively shut them down in the playoff game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2019, 11:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: On 90% of their plays, the Rams used 3 WR's, a RB, and a TE. I wonder if we'll do the same here?

I doubt we'll see the offense that heavy in a single package.

With Eifert, you can easily run 11 looks with 12 personnel.  Andy can then audible based on how the defense counters.  If they're in nickel, you use a traditional 2 TE look and pound it with the run game.  If they go to their 4-3/3-4 base, you split Eifert out wide and exploit the 1 on 1 matchup against a LB.

I read where Giovanni had been putting in a lot of work as a slot receiver in OTA's.  The Rams offense is all about running different plays out of the same look.  My guess is our twist on that will be to be able use the same looks with different personnel groupings to further confuse the defense.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 04:01 PM)XsandOs Wrote: So, on offense, I really would like to see a completely open system with multiple sets and concepts.

[Image: When%2Bone%2Bhas%2Bno%2Bform%2Bone%2Bcan...Lee%2B.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I fully expect to see us using far fewer base formations as ZT has a stated goal of both running and passing out of the same formation. I also expect some people to be surprised as Sample becomes the primary TE and we see Eifert more in a "H-Back/WR" sort of role. The question is more of whether we go one back or two back. I also expect us to be much more a power/drive blocking team as all the personnel adds on OL were people who are far better doing that than doing zone blocking.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 08:15 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: As ZT would say. This isn't the Rams offense. This is the Bengals offense.

Our #3 TE may be better than their #1 TE

And they use their WRs to block a great deal, something I believe our TEs could keep the same defense on the field yet be more effective blockers.  I think we will definitely see plenty of two TE sets.  
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2019, 09:54 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Though I agree that they didn't pick Sample to ride the pine.

He will be used but Eifert will too.

No way a decent coach doesn't have Tyler in his game-plan or packages.

When you have opposing coaches taking notice about your "glass man" as a threat you can't have him on the sidelines.

I myself don't want Eifert to be overused for chance of injury early but I can't help to think that him being used as #3 WR role over Ross wouldn't be a consideration.

This injured and underwhelming O-Line is what is sinking my hope of guys like Gio getting a fair shake.

Without proper blocking I just don't see Zac Taylor getting creative and propelling other players into more useful tools.

I hear ya, and this makes absolute sense, but I am putting a great deal of stock in to the scheme making the line more effective...What I mean is that previously the formation and personnel dictated what was coming.  You could sit and call 95% of the running plays.  I'm sure if we could do it, so could an NFL advance scouting department.  The fact that they are planning a great deal of play-action out of running formations is something that I think will really benefit the likes of our TE group.  

How many times would we see pitt find a TE in wide open space vs. Eifert getting drilled the second he catches the ball.  Todd Haley was hated by many, but his scheme gave piggy such easy completions.  I think ZT will improve the oline just on the basis of the defense not knowing what is coming and getting Dalton some easy, high % completions.  
Reply/Quote