Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ramsey in Dre out.
(09-19-2019, 10:42 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they did go after Ramsey, Dre would likely have to go.  The 5th year option on Ramsey's contract for next season is $13.7M.  So, they would likely have to work out an extension, or face losing him in FA, and still looking for a top flight CB.

I think any team willing to give uo a 1st round pick and more would need a contract extension prior to the trade. They could franchise tag in 2021, then again in 2022 but that would cost a boatload of money.

It does seem like teams in our division come up with the cash and or picks to make bock moves. All 3 already have in 2019, but at some point you run out of money. But, I think Browns have the cap space and Ravens do not right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idc how good he is, a CB is not worth a top 5 pick +.

If we pick that high things will obviously continue to go terribly wrong the rest of the season. At that point grab a top QB and let him sit behind Dalton one year, and go from there.

Yep. Honestly, in the modern NFL, you won't stop the elite passing teams consistently. I think on defense, I'd invest in a line that could pass rush. I'd have a LB who can cover, then above average CB's and Safeties who could run and cover decent. I don't know that I'm investing a major percentage of the cap into 1 CB.

I'm putting money into my offense mainly.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ramsey wants to win. I doubt he'd be happy here.

Plus, our 1st Round pick should be Top 10. Maybe Top 5. That's the starting point for what they'd want.

Would it be if we got a true shut down CB who also tackles extremely well???
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 01:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Would it be if we got a true shut down CB who also tackles extremely well???

Well, I guess that depends on which Bengals Defense we are.

On the Seattle Game Bengals Defense...wow.

On the 49ers Game Bengals Defense...the LB's still get exploited. Maybe the WR's don't do as much damage. The misdirection plays still work.

Of course, we both know we won't play that bad every game. No question Ramsey improves us. I just don't see him being happy here, and I'd like to use that 1st Round pick on another Tackle...or if things go really bad a QB...although preferably next year. I'm not a Tua and Herbert fan.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 01:00 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Would it be if we got a true shut down CB who also tackles extremely well???

Adding anything to this defense before we fix our LB core is like putting luxury Italian leather seats in a hoopty...

Reply/Quote
Ramsey is an UFA in 2021 also. So it could be a 2 year rental.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 12:58 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote:
I think any team willing to give uo a 1st round pick and more would need a contract extension prior to the trade.
They could franchise tag in 2021, then again in 2022 but that would cost a boatload of money.

It does seem like teams in our division come up with the cash and or picks to make bock moves. All 3 already have in 2019, but at some point you run out of money. But, I think Browns have the cap space and Ravens do not right now.

I agree, it order to make it worth spending a 1st round pick, it would have to be a sign and trade deal.  I don't think any team would spend that big pick, without having 3-5 years of organizational control to look forward to, just as if they drafted the player themselves.

(09-19-2019, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ramsey is an UFA in 2021 also. So it could be a 2 year rental.

See above..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 10:26 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: well lets look at it this way if your talking about Trent  the redskins wont deal..... yet at least.

If your talking about ramsey…   While it would be an upgrade    is it really the piece we are missing?   based on last week 1 new corner back isn't gonna fix our issues lol.       

But if we looking at adding talent right now it has to be LB or OT  (at least if we are trying to turn this season around and not just load up for next)
If I am not mistaken their isn't a top notch LB or T available at this time. A true shut down corner allows the defense to show different looks that puts pressure on the opposing offense. 
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 10:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We traded for Glenn just last year.

What other NFL team has traded for trent.

We traded for a player who wasn't coveted like Ramsey is. We also switched draft picks ( moved back six spots) which isn't the same as trading a first round pick for a player straight up.
Reply/Quote
Pretty sure I heard Ramsey say recently he just wants to win. Kinda puts a wrench in a trade talk to go the Bengals eh.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:02 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Wasn't Ramsey the one that got AJ's feathers ruffled and made him look bad with a unsportsman-like conduct penalty?

Well, that is a matter of opinion.  I would say an made Ramsay look bad, but that's just me I guess.

And to the op, that's a no from me. Ramsey is a head case whiney little girl. The type of guy who talks a lot of smack then goes and hides behind the refs. Heck no on him.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 10:27 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Gotta keep those precious draft picks and cap space for future extensions, ya know.

In regards to Trent Williams though, he becomes a FA after 2020.
If the team wants to try to go deep in the playoffs with the core they have now, Trent Williams makes a lot of sense.
Trent at LT, put Glenn at LG when he comes back, and put Jonah Williams at RT when he comes back.
If they are more focused on rebuilding for a few years, Trent Williams doesn't make sense. Fans won't be in favor of that though given how the past few years have gone. If they go this route, they better cut Glenn after this season to save $9.5 mill.

As for Jalen Ramsey, he's going to end up costing about the same amount as a franchise LT once his rookie deal is up. I'd rather trade for a proven OT than a CB, as CBs seem easier to find good ones in the draft. I also don't see the Bengals trading for Ramsey when WJ3 is set to hit FA after 2020, who is likely going to get a big payday. Given the Bengals' history, they likely will want to extend him.

This makes more sense. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 11:23 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't buy into that logic.  The Bengals have no problems with spending 1st round picks on CBs, we have 3 of them currently on the team.  Ramsey is already proven and established, if the management likes him, they should get him.  However, in doing that, they're not going to get 4-5 years of cheap services from him.

Is paying more for a guaranteed commodity better than drafting and taking a chance that guys like Dennard and Kirkpatrick may or may not develop into anything special?  Teams like the Patriots and Steelers certainly think so, but what do they know?  They've only won a dozen Superbowls between them..

I think that is a fair assessment. I guess my thought process is that I see bigger holes that the Top10/Top5 pick could be used on instead of trading for Ramsey. The draft is definitely not a sure thing and he would certainly improve our pass defense immediately but I don't see him making us instant competitors, or even competitors in the next two-three years like drafting a potential top flight QB or stud lineman/LBer.

I guess the key word there is "potential" top flight player. Ramsey is a certified top flight player.
Reply/Quote
Ramsey would not come here, so that ends things.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 05:01 PM)Destro Wrote: Ramsey would not come here, so that ends things.

He is under contract.  He will go where he is traded.
Reply/Quote
Would Ramsey make us better Certainly but would he makes a contender? If he were an all pro LB sure but he is not?
Also we have the potential for an excellent Secondary for the next 5 seasons with Jackson, Bates, and Phillips. I just don't see Ramsey taking us to another level.
We need to actually improve the bad parts on our Roster if we want to win in the long run.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 06:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He is under contract.  He will go where he is traded.

Doesn't mean he has to go out on the field and perform. Any trade partner knows that. Giving up picks/players for someone who doesn't want to be there won't work out. 
Reply/Quote
Ramsey is a hell of a talent, no doubt about it.

With that said, in his short career he has done/said some things that lead me to believe he is far from team oriented, and could easily wreck a locker room. I don't know that there is any level of talent that justifies getting that type of player.
Reply/Quote
If it wasn’t for Dre Kirkpatrick we would be 1-1 instead of 0-2.Although I have to admit Dre wasn’t the only one at fault.I still believe that Dre is the biggest liability on this defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 10:11 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: If it wasn’t for Dre Kirkpatrick we would be 1-1 instead of 0-2.Although I have to admit Dre wasn’t the only one at fault.I still believe that Dre is the biggest liability on this defense.

Not even close. LB has been the problem (other than prime Burfict) here for years.

Reply/Quote