Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random comments on our LB situation.
1. We have one great LB and one other LB position that plays less than half of the snaps. So we are only looking at one and a half positions that could be a problem.

2. While our LBs are probably the weak link of our defense we still have a top five defense. So they are not as bad as some people here claim. In fact Lamur, who many people here claimed could be replaced by anyone off the street, just got $6 million for two years from defensive guru Mike Zimmer.

3. Among the three main groups (DL, DB, LB) the DBs and D-line are more important.

4. Maualuga is only making $3.7 million this year.

5. We just paid Vinny Rey starter money, so I am thinking he will be our starting SAM.

6. I'd like to see us use a high draft pick (first three rounds) on a LB, but the Bengals are not really "desperate" for a LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  We have one great LB and one other LB position that plays less than half of the snaps.  So we are only looking at one and a half positions that could be a problem.

2.  While our LBs are probably the weak link of our defense we still have a top five defense.  So they are not as bad as some people here claim.  In fact Lamur, who many people here claimed could be replaced by anyone off the street, just got $6 million for two years from defensive guru Mike Zimmer.

3.  Among the three main groups (DL, DB, LB) the DBs and D-line are more important.

4.  Maualuga is only making $3.7 million this year.

5.  We just paid Vinny Rey starter money, so I am thinking he will be our starting SAM.

6.  I'd like to see us use a high draft pick (first three rounds) on a LB, but the Bengals are not really "desperate" for a LB.

True we are not desperate for a LB'er and if we look at one in the first 3 rounds that is just dandy with me.

I like Vinny and the re-signing but hope it is not a guarantee he is starting, he is undersized as a SAM BTW.

I agree with all your points except #2. I always hate the thought of just cause a player goes somewhere else
and gets good money that they are good players. Lamur was a terrible LB'er here bottom line and getting 6 mil
for 2 years is not breakin the bank for Zim. He likes his size and his ability to play ST's i am sure.

Players are getting overpaid everywhere in the league right now.
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping that Dawson comes out and plays well. I thought he looked good when he was able to get on the field. We will be able to see whats up with him this season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We're slow at LB RBs and TEs routinely kill us on short passes. We need an athletic upgrade at that spot.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with all your points except #2. I always hate the thought of just cause a player goes somewhere else and gets good money that they are good players. Lamur was a terrible LB'er here bottom line and getting 6 mil for 2 years is not breakin the bank for Zim. He likes his size and his ability to play ST's i am sure.

Players are getting overpaid everywhere in the league right now.

This would make sense if Lamur was the only available LB in free agency, but he isn't.  Lamur is getting paid a lot more than many other LBs people ranked ahead of him when calling him "the worst LB in the league".  Remember all that talk?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This would make sense if Lamur was the only available LB in free agency, but he isn't.  Lamur is getting paid a lot more than many other LBs people ranked ahead of him when calling him "the worst LB in the league".  Remember all that talk?

Yeah, i remember and i thought that was a bit extreme, but doesn't mean he wasn't terrible here lately.

Plus he was just coming off of injury. If i was a Vike's fan i would not of liked the pickup unless it was for ST's.

Hey, i liked the idea of Lamur at the beginning but he was a dissapointment to say the least here.

Don't give me the "he got good money somewhere else so he isn't that bad" argument is all i ask.

Zim can have him.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  We have one great LB and one other LB position that plays less than half of the snaps.  So we are only looking at one and a half positions that could be a problem.

2.  While our LBs are probably the weak link of our defense we still have a top five defense.  So they are not as bad as some people here claim.  In fact Lamur, who many people here claimed could be replaced by anyone off the street, just got $6 million for two years from defensive guru Mike Zimmer.

3.  Among the three main groups (DL, DB, LB) the DBs and D-line are more important.

5.  We just paid Vinny Rey starter money, so I am thinking he will be our starting SAM.

6.  I'd like to see us use a high draft pick (first three rounds) on a LB, but the Bengals are not really "desperate" for a LB.
I hope to see more from Dawson this year.

I doubt Rey is starting at SAM, my guess is ST and on the field in Nickel packages. Might be starting WLB while Burfict is out.
Reply/Quote
Also i might add that i bet Haslett will want a LB'er of his own to work with...
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, i remember and i thought that was a bit extreme, but doesn't mean he wasn't terrible here lately.

Plus he was just coming off of injury. If i was a Vike's fan i would not of liked the pickup unless it was for ST's.

Hey, i liked the idea of Lamur at the beginning but he was a dissapointment to say the least here.

Don't give me the "he got good money somewhere else so he isn't that bad" argument is all i ask.

Zim can have him.
And Taylor Mays....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
i think like every other team in the NFL you can only afford so many stars on your team. I still hope we draft Darron Lee becauese I feel he can be a long term answer.

I was a bit cruel early on in free agency when I heard we were prioritizing Vinny Rey, but I really love the signing. Talk about a guy that you just root for on your team; sure the guy isn't the best line backer, but he's better than most and he offers so much versatility. The guy has never had a big money contract and Im glad to see him get paid. We do have two backups on the roster with Dawnson and the guy who went on IR last year. Maybe we can pick up another cheap veteran to take some snaps and add depth. Right now i think everyone can agree that our biggest hole is Wide Receiver so I won't be mad when we draft two.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 10:37 PM)Okeana Wrote: i think like every other team in the NFL you can only afford so many stars on your team.  I still hope we draft Darron Lee becauese I feel he can be a long term answer.

I was a bit cruel early on in free agency when I heard we were prioritizing Vinny Rey, but I really love the signing.  Talk about a guy that you just root for on your team;  sure the guy isn't the best line backer, but he's better than most and he offers so much versatility.  The guy has never had a big money contract and Im glad to see him get paid.  We do have two backups on the roster with Dawnson and the guy who went on IR last year.  Maybe we can pick up another cheap veteran to take some snaps and add depth.  Right now i think everyone can agree that our biggest hole is Wide Receiver so I won't be mad when we draft two.

Marquis Flowers, i liked what i saw from him as well in that short amount of time.

Athletic and heard he was smart. Tackled well, wrapped up.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also i might add that i bet Haslett will want a LB'er of his own to work with...

Good point. The big question is, at what priority? Early round blue-chipper or late round project.
Reply/Quote

Vinny is basically a starter snap wise with his coverage ability and versatility in the rotation.  I'm not getting into what "tackles" mean anymore, but obviously if he led them then he was on the field.  He gives stability and might be the 2nd best LB on the team.  They'll have to figure out where to put guys, Dawson could project as a backup WLB or compete for the SLB job.  Flowers still has potential to be a backup WLB in the rotation, and I still think they'll take a LB by the middle of the draft.  I wanted a big upgrade, but I'll take staying afloat and not taking a hit in the secondary. 
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Also i might add that i bet Haslett will want a LB'er of his own to work with...

I'm sure that Haslett will take a close look at all the LB's.  If he wants a particular LB, then he needs to start getting in the ear of ML, PG and Tubin.  All the top tier FA LB's have signed or they are in serious talks with other teams.  This leaves those who were Cut.   I think Hasett may be able to convince the staff to bring in a UDFA rookie,  but Rey's signing took the pressure off of the Bengals to Draft a LB this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 08:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This would make sense if Lamur was the only available LB in free agency, but he isn't.  Lamur is getting paid a lot more than many other LBs people ranked ahead of him when calling him "the worst LB in the league".  Remember all that talk?

A player that fits your scheme is more valuable to a team than one that doesn't.

Now of course, I'd love to see us get one in the draft. We have bigger needs at DL and WR that we need to address first, but if the right LB is there...

EDIT: Zim probably paid a bit more to make sure that we wouldn't counter.
Reply/Quote
I don't see a place for AJ Hawk on this roster.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

I think we definitely need to improve our Dline, LB, and secondary. I agree we have one great LB and the rest are either mediocre or unknown. If Dawson comes in and plays like he did in college that will help. Maualuga is much better when Burfict is playing so if Dawson indeed can come in then we should be better in that dept than we were last season, plus I'm hoping that Flowers/Luc/Roach will step up. When looking at the defensive positions you mentioned something stood out to me and that's our Dline and passrush or lack there of. We have two great players in Atkins and Dunlap, but outside of them nothing. Johnson is solid against the run, but not a dynamic pass rusher. Hardison/Williams are both unknowns. Peko stinks, Gilberry needs to be upgraded and Hunt/Clarke have proven nothing, we really need to add another pass rusher to help.
Reply/Quote
Darron Lee. 4.47.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 02:06 PM)Crowe Wrote:  Peko stinks,

Peko only played about half of the snaps last year yet finished in the top 10 in sacks by an interior defensive lineman.

But in general I agree we need to add some talent to the D-line.  I still have some hope for Hardison.  It is not unusual for a player to make drastic improvements from his rookie to his second season.  But guys who have been around a while like Clarke (2 yrs) and Hunt (3 yrs) are probably not going to suddenly get a lot better.  
Reply/Quote
Agreed we need to take a LB in first three. More specifically a coverage guy would be awesome.

But if a solid DT somehow falls to us, I would probably prefer to take that over a LB, but with Peko still having one more year and taking hardison last year, I think they try to go for LB if they have there guy there.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote