Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randy Bullock's missed FG against Houston
I was looking at the NFL draft order today and I noticed that there are 3 7-9 teams and 1 other 7-8-1 team right behind us. So, if Bullock made that meaningless kick and won the game against Houston, we'd be looking at picking at either 12 or 13th overall.

I'm very happy he missed that kick. Because we all know a player that the team really wants can go a pick or 2 before your pick, and that can be really upsetting. Look at Pittsburgh last year (from whom we stole Jackson) or even us last year (from whom Doctson and Fuller were taken just 2 and 3 picks ahead of us).

This holds even more true in the top 10. When it comes to positional rankings, it is not uncommon for there to be a significant drop off between the #1 prospect in a position and the #2 prospect.

Picking in the top 10 means there's a good chance we'll get our first or maybe second choice among the draft class, whereas picking 13th would have meant we'd be picking from the left overs of the top 10.

I know winning is good and it helps the team yada yada yada. But I'm personally ecstatic that he carried on Nugent's legacy, if not for just that one game. It helped the team in the long run. Pride heals. But the players we draft this year will be on this team for the next half decade. It would be senseless to decrease your chances there just for a feel good win.

Good job Bullock!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:23 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was looking at the NFL draft order today and I noticed that there are 3 7-9 teams and 1 other 7-8-1 team right behind us. So, if Bullock made that meaningless kick and won the game against Houston, we'd be looking at picking at either 12 or 13th overall.

I'm very happy he missed that kick. Because we all know a player that the team really wants can go a pick or 2 before your pick, and that can be really upsetting. Look at Pittsburgh last year (from whom we stole Jackson) or even us last year (from whom Doctson and Fuller were taken just 2 and 3 picks ahead of us).

This holds even more true in the top 10. When it comes to positional rankings, it is not uncommon for there to be a significant drop off between the #1 prospect in a position and the #2 prospect.

Picking in the top 10 means there's a good chance we'll get our first or maybe second choice among the draft class, whereas picking 13th would have meant we'd be picking from the left overs of the top 10.

I know winning is good and it helps the team yada yada yada. But I'm personally ecstatic that he carried on Nugent's legacy, if not for just that one game. It helped the team in the long run. Pride heals. But the players we draft this year will be on this team for the next half decade. It would be senseless to decrease your chances there just for a feel good win.

Good job Bullock!

Then I guess we owe Nuge a huge thanks too!!! He cost us way more than Bullock
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:33 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Then I guess we owe Nuge a huge thanks too!!! He cost us way more than Bullock

Well, that was a different circumstance. Nugent's misses could have led to winning games that would then make the latter half of the season mean something.

But by the time Bullock had come around, the season was over regardless. So missing the field goal was just the best possible outcome in that situation.

I know you were being sarcastic, but it bears distinction :).
Reply/Quote
Anyone think he missed the kick on purpose under someone else's direction?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Too bad the rest of theses jerks ruined everything by waxing Philly, Cleveland, and the Ravens.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Did you hear the story on why he missed it and moved early?

Apparently Huber and Clark Harris had a fake call to off set the chance of Deandre Hopkins jumping over the line to block the FG.

The only problem was they never told the new guy (Bullock) and hence we moved early to the ball....again coaching 101, cover the fundamentals like all your players knowing the plays!!!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 09:23 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I was looking at the NFL draft order today and I noticed that there are 3 7-9 teams and 1 other 7-8-1 team right behind us. So, if Bullock made that meaningless kick and won the game against Houston, we'd be looking at picking at either 12 or 13th overall.

Good job Bullock!

That is pretty crazy how one missed kick changed our draft position so much. Shocked

Big difference between the 9th pick (is this where we are picking?) and the 13th pick.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 12:25 PM)corpjet Wrote: Did you hear the story on why he missed it and moved early?

Apparently Huber and Clark Harris had a fake call to off set the chance of Deandre Hopkins jumping over the line to block the FG.

The only problem was they never told the new guy (Bullock) and hence we moved early to the ball....again coaching 101, cover the fundamentals like all your players knowing the plays!!!!

I heard this same thing that the miss wasn't really on the kicker.  That explains the false start/studder step, because Bullock was expecting the snap immediately.  He took a step forward, then tried to back-up as the ball was finally snapped.

One of the coaches on the radio said it was just a communication breakdown and that they hadn't actually practiced the delayed snap with Bullock on the roster.  Even if the team communicated the play call, they had never practiced with the new kicker.  Tough to pull off with only a few seconds left in the game. Bullock made one from the same spot earlier in the game, so we know he was capable.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad he missed it now Tongue
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Heard the Texans were 18-0 since 2014 when leading at halftime.

Now they are 19-0. Tough Defense they have. Clowney is finally paying off as the #1 overall pick 3 years ago.

They should lose to the Pats though.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:11 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well, that was a different circumstance. Nugent's misses could have led to winning games that would then make the latter half of the season mean something.

But by the time Bullock had come around, the season was over regardless. So missing the field goal was just the best possible outcome in that situation.

I know you were being sarcastic, but it bears distinction :).

Unfortunately, what Nug didn't mess up Og did. They were a pair of f'ups all year long. Then there are the coaches who were whistling past the graveyard, see no evil, hear no evil, all is well, as it burns down around them.

Clap, clap! "We have to find a way to play better." "In-game adjustments is a fabrication of the media." "We played better towards the end of the game." blah, blah, blah.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 05:53 PM)BoBengal Wrote: I heard this same thing that the miss wasn't really on the kicker.  That explains the false start/studder step, because Bullock was expecting the snap immediately.  He took a step forward, then tried to back-up as the ball was finally snapped.

One of the coaches on the radio said it was just a communication breakdown and that they hadn't actually practiced the delayed snap with Bullock on the roster.  Even if the team communicated the play call, they had never practiced with the new kicker.  Tough to pull off with only a few seconds left in the game.  Bullock made one from the same spot earlier in the game, so we know he was capable.

Another typical stupid coach move. These coaches are pathetic. Glad to be in 9th slot though.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 06:19 PM)Derrick Wrote: Another typical stupid coach move. These coaches are pathetic. Glad to be in 9th slot though.

Too bad coaches can't be drafted like players. Wait, that's stupid.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:17 AM)jason Wrote: Too bad the rest of theses jerks ruined everything by waxing Philly, Cleveland, and the Ravens.
Yeah I hated that part watching my favorite team win. Disgusting.
Reply/Quote
Agreed. You never want to get in a position where losing is good.

I'd rather take the made field goal and picking 3 picks lower.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone think he missed the kick on purpose under someone else's direction?

There was a very strange interaction caught on camera between Simmons and Bullock before the kick.  It did seem very odd.   I was hoping to actually beat the Texans and hurt their chance of winning their division.  
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 09:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. You never want to get in a position where losing is good.

I'd rather take the made field goal and picking 3 picks lower.

You never want to get in the position, but we definitely were in that position during this game.

I don't know why making a meaningless field goal would be your preference. The game didn't change at all. Us winning that game wouldn't indicate us being a better team or being closer to playing better next year.

It would have been, literally, worthless.

And it would hurt our team to boot due to draft position.

I can't understand how any fan could possibly wan to win that particular game.

The other wins are different, as they were indications of our team playing well and everything. That is very important both for team cohesion and morale as well as hope for the following year.

But from the point where he lined up for that field goal to the moment he missed it, there is absolutely no reason why a fan would want him to make that kick.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Heard the Texans were 18-0 since 2014 when leading at halftime.

Now they are 19-0. Tough Defense they have. Clowney is finally paying off as the #1 overall pick 3 years ago.

They should lose to the Pats though.

They will get killed, by three scores...

The reason?  The Pats defense is good enough to stifle their offense (so is most every team that isn't hurt by poor officiating). The Pats offense will do what the Bengals and Raiders would not:  throw the ball down the field.  The Texans have an excellent secondary, but they only have to defend the first 15 yards.  The Pats will go deep a couple times early to soften them up, then eat them up with short passes and their running game when the defense drops.  It sounds simple, but you have to have the personnel to stretch the field.  Tom doesn't have the same deep ball he used to, but they will still test them down the field.  
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2017, 11:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone think he missed the kick on purpose under someone else's direction?

Lap said someone was trying to leap over the center. So Huber did as he was supposed to do and delay the snap.

Bullock didn't know that, so he started forward like normal. Hence the stutter step. 

Sounds as plausible of a reason as any. One part bad circumstances,  one part coaching not preparing their players properly. So... very plausible explanation. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 10:28 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: But from the point where he lined up for that field goal to the moment he missed it, there is absolutely no reason why a fan would want him to make that kick.

Ok, well if anyone asks in 2017 why we don't get any respect we can point to the notion that Bengals fans were rooting for them to lose a to a 3rd string QB on the national stage.
Reply/Quote