Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penalties AND Fines?
http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Carlos-Dunlap-Tyler-Eifert-fined-for-actions-in-Browns-game-49857292

Like I said, I don't follow things very closely, but I had not clue these type of penalties accompanied fines as well!
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 10:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Carlos-Dunlap-Tyler-Eifert-fined-for-actions-in-Browns-game-49857292

Like I said, I don't follow things very closely, but I had not clue these type of penalties accompanied fines as well!

I believe the NFL now fines every personal foul.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Dunlap loves to horse collar suckas...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Meh..someone getting paid over 2 million a year with over 7.5 million guaranteed .. Eifert can afford to pay an $18,000 fine 466.66 times before he's officially broke and that's before endorsement fees and other perks..

All that aside I'm not 100% convinced that the announced fines are actually paid or if it's just some PR announcement to make fans think the league actually cares.. I don't really know. 
I think of fines actually being meaningful when they actually cause real financial distress to people. 
Think about it a moment.  If you made about $1000 per week and get slapped with a $10,000 fine it really hurts, but if you make several million bucks even per year a $10,000 fine is like having to give out the lint in your pocket and is basically meaningless..  For someone with millions to spend there is relatively no incentive to obey the speed limit whereas someone making minimum wage there's a huge incentive.. Fines are rarely in proportion to income once you reach a certain level of income.   They should always be in proportion to your income, but they very rarely ever are with few exceptions. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 11:53 PM)jason Wrote: Dunlap loves to horse collar suckas...

He's really tall so I'd figure it is easy to slip into having that happen. That isn't an excuse though. Get down and get your arms around the torso. Rugby style tackles mean that everyone gets to have a nice life after football, yknow?

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2016, 07:34 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: He's really tall so I'd figure it is easy to slip into having that happen. That isn't an excuse though. Get down and get your arms around the torso. Rugby style tackles mean that everyone gets to have a nice life after football, yknow?
Yeah. He almost looks like an adult playing with kids when he does it. It looks easy for him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-16-2016, 11:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: Meh..someone getting paid over 2 million a year with over 7.5 million guaranteed .. Eifert can afford to pay an $18,000 fine 466.66 times before he's officially broke and that's before endorsement fees and other perks..

All that aside I'm not 100% convinced that the announced fines are actually paid or if it's just some PR announcement to make fans think the league actually cares.. I don't really know. 
I think of fines actually being meaningful when they actually cause real financial distress to people. 
Think about it a moment.  If you made about $1000 per week and get slapped with a $10,000 fine it really hurts, but if you make several million bucks even per year a $10,000 fine is like having to give out the lint in your pocket and is basically meaningless..  For someone with millions to spend there is relatively no incentive to obey the speed limit whereas someone making minimum wage there's a huge incentive.. Fines are rarely in proportion to income once you reach a certain level of income.   They should always be in proportion to your income, but they very rarely ever are with few exceptions. 

But it still sucks to pay.  Eifert is making $1.9m this season.  That $18k fine equates to .9% of his annual salary.  By comparison to your example of someone making $52K, it's a fine of $493.  If you are making $52k, do you really not think your behavior will change after a few ~$500 fines?
Reply/Quote