27-32
39.06%
25 39.06%
Total 64 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank our Interior O-Line
(07-02-2021, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Agreed.  And with it looking like Spain-Hopkins-Carman, I went with the middle of the road answer.  Carman is a question mark, but is the highest pick we have used on a guard since Kevin Zeitler.  The offensive line was about average with Bobby Hart playing RT and Spain and XSF as the guards last year.  I think Carman will at least be as solid as the tandem of XSF and Spain were last year, possibly better as the kid has much quicker feet than either of them. 

I'm not closing the door on Billy Price just yet, either.  If Pollack can work some magic with him, he could still be a solid option to start at Center while Hopkins recovers.  Then again, I carried water for John Ross until a crossing route hit him squarely in the hip and I saw the look on Burrow's face.  

Pollack already had Price before and couldn't fix him. I think Billy Price is destined for bust status or needs a change of scene status. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 03:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Pollack already had Price before and couldn't fix him. I think Billy Price is destined for bust status or needs a change of scene status. 

Murdock, come on man, he only had Price for 1 year and that 1 year really doesn't count because Price was a rookie.... Sarcasm

On a serious note, I do think they keep Price around 1 more year to see if Pollack can do anything with him but I personally think Price is jsut another in the streak of crap OL guys we keep missing on.  I feel like we're Oh-ferrr like 10 on OL since 2010 lol
Reply/Quote
You all know I am a big homer, but with Hopkins coming off an injury and without seeing Carman play a snap in the NFL yet I have to rank us at the very bottom.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 03:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Pollack already had Price before and couldn't fix him. I think Billy Price is destined for bust status or needs a change of scene status. 

When we drafted Price I thought he might not be a Pro-Bowler like you want from a first round pick, but I never imagined he would be such a complete bust.  Center was a HUGE need for us at that time, and I thought he would at least be an above average starter.

The draft is more of a crap shoot than the "experts" want to admit.  Even the best teams miss on firat round picks from time to time.  But over the past few years we have missed WAY too often, and our misses are not just average players, they are horrible.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 10:30 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Yet we went wr at 5 lmao.  We have bottom 5 oline and top 5 wr group.  That’s some dumb ass madden shit

What interior olineman would you have taken at #5?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 10:30 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Yet we went wr at 5 lmao.  We have bottom 5 oline and top 5 wr group.  That’s some dumb ass madden shit

So funny that you think we only had one draft pick.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: When we drafted Price I thought he might not be a Pro-Bowler like you want from a first round pick, but I never imagined he would be such a complete bust.  Center was a HUGE need for us at that time, and I thought he would at least be an above average starter.

The draft is more of a crap shoot than the "experts" want to admit.  Even the best teams miss on firat round picks from time to time.  But over the past few years we have missed WAY too often, and our misses are not just average players, they are horrible.

That probably hurts more than anything. It's one thing to get a Dennard. A solid player who never realizes 1st round potential and hopes, but is still a solid contributor. It's not what you wanted from your 1st round pick, but still an overall positive player on your roster. 

Taking that and turning it into a 0 contribution is real bad, but then you go and get guys who are arguably a net negative contribution (Ogbuehi/Price/Ross)? That is just brutal from 1st rounders if they actually make you worse.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Generously giving them a 22-26 grade but think they can be much better than that if chemistry is developed and Carman lives up to his potential.

Not from Missouri but have to take their motto when grading the Bengals interior O-line that they must

"show me" after the porous freakin sieve of an O-line I've witnessed last several years..

Know they should be improved, yet skeptical until seen.

Actually am more hopeful than my grade suggest and think they have a high ceiling. Need to get off the floor first though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha who the helllllllll gave us between 15-21 lmao I’m crying honestly
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So funny that you think we only had one draft pick.

Guy, even with all those draft picks u speak of on the roster we still have a top 5 wr core and a bottom 5 oline. And Jackson carman is arguably our worst pick when oline needed to be our best picks. Our entire offensive line is a giant question mark Going into the season following ur franchise qb getting destroyed. That’s absolutely pathetic
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 04:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What interior olineman would you have taken at #5?

Hahahahaha I draft Sewell smarty pants and kick Reiff inside. It’s that simple. Reiff said he played guard in college and that he’d play anywhere the bengals need him. U don’t ever take a interior oline man that early.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 08:05 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha who the helllllllll gave us between 15-21 lmao I’m crying honestly

You can literally just look and see…

Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 08:11 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hahahahaha I draft Sewell smarty pants and kick Reiff inside.  It’s that simple.  Reiff said he played guard in college and that he’d play anywhere the bengals need him. U don’t ever take a interior oline man that early.

Sure, that works for year one,  Until Jonah goes down again, then Sewell goes to the Left side and Reiff slides out to RT.  But that still leaves the interior with a serious void of reliable talent.  Often injured castoffs and retreads will not make a dominate interior OL, never.  The team should have drafted two OL in the first 3 rounds of the draft, rather than going after the shiny weapon.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 08:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, that works for year one,  Until Jonah goes down again, then Sewell goes to the Left side and Reiff slides out to RT.  But that still leaves the interior with a serious void of reliable talent.  Often injured castoffs and retreads will not make a dominate interior OL, never.  The team should have drafted two OL in the first 3 rounds of the draft, rather than going after the shiny weapon.

Agree completely, but MB loves his shiny toys. 

Not as mad as the night I walked straight out of the draft party at PBS pissed after the announcing John Ross
when we had just lost Whit and Zeitler. Think this is the day my high blood pressure began, been on medicine ever since.

Albeit this shiny toy looks much more legit than the John Ross' and Peter Warrick's of the world.

Plus knew Chase would be selected when Burrow lobbied for him. Accepted it beforehand even, and do really like the kid.

Just not exactly what we needed the most. Should have used 3 out of next 4 picks on O-line if going this direction though. If not 3 straight. 

There is still a high ceiling if all the question marks go in our favor and all could. But with that many ? the probability of it is not likely.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 08:05 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha  who the helllllllll gave us between 15-21 lmao I’m crying honestly

Frank Pollack, dude
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 08:11 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: U don’t ever take a interior oline man that early.

Ahem! Quentin Nelson & Zack Martin say hello.(among many other G’S and C’s)
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 08:11 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Hahahahaha I draft Sewell smarty pants and kick Reiff inside. It’s that simple. Reiff said he played guard in college and that he’d play anywhere the bengals need him. U don’t ever take a interior oline man that early.

I was cool with Sewell or moving back to get the northwestern dude and either having those guys move inside for year 1, or have Reiff move inside.

I disagree with the “you don’t take interior o-line that early”

If the guy is special, and you need a guard, take him.

But there’s nothing wrong with drafting a tackle early in the first and putting him at guard for a year
Reply/Quote
FWIW, it's looking like Quinton Spain is indeed going to be the man at LG this season.

https://twitter.com/jakeliscow/status/1407430050891268096

[Image: E4gx9tMVkAAonWC?format=png&name=small]

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 01:09 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree completely, but MB loves his shiny toys. 

Not as mad as the night I walked straight out of the draft party at PBS pissed after the announcing John Ross
when we had just lost Whit and Zeitler. Think this is the day my high blood pressure began, been on medicine ever since.

Albeit this shiny toy looks much more legit than the John Ross' and Peter Warrick's of the world.

Plus knew Chase would be selected when Burrow lobbied for him. Accepted it beforehand even, and do really like the kid.

Just not exactly what we needed the most. Should have used 3 out of next 4 picks on O-line if going this direction though. If not 3 straight. 

There is still a high ceiling if all the question marks go in our favor and all could. But with that many ? the probability of it is not likely.

Agreed, it was tough to stay upset about the pick, with Chase being such a truly great athlete and competitor.  However, after seeing how low the Jets were able to sign Morgan Moses for, I really wish the Bengals had made more of an effort to bring him to Cincinnati.  Then, the Bengals would have had 3 viable starters at Tackle, and could have put Reiff at Guard to get the best 5 on the field.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I put us at 22-26, and that honestly might be optimistic.

There is a reason Quenton Spain was cut mid-season even though the Bills had to eat his signing bonus.  And there's a reason he signed for the league minimum this offseason.  We can hope he will end up being close to average but as of right now I think it's safe to consider him a backup level tier guard.

Tre Hopkins would normally rank higher if not for his injury.  When healthy, he's probably best to described as a slightly below average Center.  But now?  Who knows.  He could be exactly the same, or he could be downright terrible.  He's a question mark whose ceiling isn't terribly high to begin with.

Carmen, of course, is a rookie.  I'm not really sure what else needs to be said here.  He may very well come in and play decently right out of the gate.  He may stuggle mightily.  He may fall somewhere in between or he may be inconistent, showing flashes at times while showing inexperience at others.

Depth, not look very good here either.  XSF I guess is ok as a backup, but in general is just kind of "meh".  Who else is there we can count on to step if needed?

I honestly think the ceiling for each of the starters is average.  That's the very best any of them could be in 2021.  If things play out perfectly we'd have a middle tier interior.  That's the best case scenario.  The floor though isn't good at all though.  They could rank near the bottom at each of their positions.  So I kind've split the difference, and ignored our depth issues.  

If these guys can all stay healthy, and if Pollack is as good as many claim, perhaps this part of the OL wiggles it's way into a higher teir, say 14-22.  I sure hope they do because lord know we need it.
Reply/Quote