26.92%
7 26.92%
11-16 (Just top half of the league)
3.85%
1 3.85%
17-24 (Just in the bottom half of the league
0%
0 0%
25-32 ((What's the name of those rookies again?)
0%
0 0%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank our RBs (2019)
We continue our 2019 ranks and stick in the Offensive backfield as we turn to those running the ball. So where do we have Gio (Hustle) and Joe (Flow)

As always the competition:

ARZ: David Johnson, Chase Edmonds
ATL: Devonta Freeman, Ito Smith
BTL: Mark Ingram, Kenneth Dixon
BUF: LeSean McCoy, Frank Gore
CAR: Christian McCaffery, Cameron Artis-Payne
CHI: David Montgomery, Tarik Cohen
CLV: Nick Chubb, Duke Johnson
DAL: Zeke Elliott,Tony Pollard
DEN: Phillip Lindsay, Royce Freeman
DET: Kerrryon Johnson, CJ Anderson
GBP: Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams
HOU: Lamar Miller, D’Onta Foreman
IND: Marlon Mack, Spencer Ware
JAX: Leonard Fournette, Alfred Blue
KCC: Carlos Hyde, Damien Williams
LAC: Melvin Gordon, Austin Ekeler
LAR: Todd Gurley, Darrell Henderson
MIA: Kenyon Drake, Mark Walton
MIN: Dalvin Cook, Alexander Mattison
NEP: Sony Michelle, James White
NOS: Alvin Kamara, Latavius Murray
NYG: Saquan Barkley, William Gallman
NYJ: LeVeon Bell, Bilal Powell
OAK: Josh Jacobs, Isaiah Crowell
PHI: Jordan Howard, Miles Sanders
PIT: James Conner, Benny Snell
SFF: Jerek McKinnon, Matt Breida
SEA: Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny
TBB: Ronald Jones, Peyton Barber
TEN: Derrick Henry, Dion Lewis
WAS: Derrius Guice, Adrian Peterson

Last year we had them 11-16.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Rank-our-RBs-2018
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, call me a homer if you must, but we have arguably the best runner (Mixon) and arguably the best pass-catcher and pass-blocker (Gio-van) at the position.

If Trayveon puts up numbers comparable to college and Rodney plays like he can (and get healthy), sky's the limit.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Duke Johnson won’t be the #2 in Cleveland after week 8, so unless Hunt is all kinds of rusty they’re probably going to have the best duo in the league.

I think we are top 5 though. Mixon is definitely right there with Zeke, Barkley, Chubb, and Gurley. I think Bell might fall off a bit not having that Steelers OL to run behind. I’m sure he’ll still be really good, but idk about the best in the league anymore, or even top 5 with the emergence of some of these other guys.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 02:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Duke Johnson won’t be the #2 in Cleveland after week 8, so unless Hunt is all kinds of rusty they’re probably going to have the best duo in the league.

I think we are top 5 though. Mixon is definitely right there with Zeke, Barkley, Chubb, and Gurley. I think Bell might fall off a bit not having that Steelers OL to run behind. I’m sure he’ll still be really good, but idk about the best in the league anymore, or even top 5 with the emergence of some of these other guys.

I thought about listing Hunt but 8 weeks on your own when everyone else is playing football is a long time to stay out of trouble. Especially for someone like Hunt:

https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/01/kareem-hunt-police-officers-video-cleveland/

Reply/Quote
I went 6-10, but that's only because I don't think Gio has been utilized properly over the past couple of seasons. If this staff can get him some valuable touches and he produces, it's top 5 easily. Mixon looks like the real deal, so if they can get Gio on track, that duo could be downright scary.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
As a position group they are top 5. Mixon is one of the better backs in the NFL and Gio is very underrated as a runner.

Gio did an interview recently and said Taylor and Not Bill had him lining up as a receiver. I'm looking forward to seeing how the coaches use the RB group this season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Mixon is clearly top 5. As a #2 Bernard is better than most other #2s. I know a lot of Bengals fans rate Bernard highly, but the top 5 ranking is all about Mixon.

Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 03:11 PM)Synric Wrote: As a position group they are top 5. Mixon is one of the better backs in the NFL and Gio is very underrated as a runner.

Gio did an interview recently and said Taylor and Not Bill had him lining up as a receiver. I'm looking forward to seeing how the coaches use the RB group this season.

Gio, and even Mixon, would be our 3rd best WR if they were played outside. Clearly Mixon is more valuable behind the line, but Bernard knows how to run routes and he's got good hands.

In fact, in 2018, Mixon was our 4th best receiver behind Boyd, AJ and Uzomah, and Bernard was 5th just behind Mixon. So why only use Bernard as a runner when he clearly can be a receiver. It gets him on the field and provides an alternative if none of our lessor WRs figure out how to show up at the party.

Reply/Quote
If this was about best RB, I'd maybe have to go 6-10. However, it's about tandem, and the Bengals have one of the best tandems in the league, so went 1-5.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think our poor offensive line hinders them from being a Top 5 unit.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 04:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think our poor offensive line hinders them from being a Top 5 unit.

We are not ranking the O-line.  Just the RBs.
Reply/Quote
Gio has been in the league 6 years. Here are the number from his 3 even numbered years compared to the odd numbered years

Even....35 games....1228 rush yds...3.9 avg... 903 rec yds...7.1 avg
Odd.....48 games....1883 rush yds...4.4 avg...1375 rec yds...9.3 avg
Reply/Quote
Based on their 2018 stats, I have them 11 to 16 (around 12). Our rushing and receiving stats don't get anything close to top 5 in my humble opinion. Sadly, OL play hurts our guys while it helps others. In 2018, we could not run the ball when expected to run (not that often as losing in 4th quarter versus winning), but great running backs and running games get yards when teams are aligned to stop it. We did not.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 03:38 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Gio, and even Mixon, would be our 3rd best WR if they were played outside. Clearly Mixon is more valuable behind the line, but Bernard knows how to run routes and he's got good hands.

In fact, in 2018, Mixon was our 4th best receiver behind Boyd, AJ and Uzomah, and Bernard was 5th just behind Mixon. So why only use Bernard as a runner when he clearly can be a receiver. It gets him on the field and provides an alternative if none of our lessor WRs figure out how to show up at the party.

I 100% agree that both Mixon and Bernard should be utilized in the passing game, however their is a big difference between being used a pass receiving RB and an WR.  RBs don't get open by running precise routes.  They are almost always used on swing passes, screens, drags, and wheel routes.  Route running is a skill that takes a lot of time to perfect.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 05:56 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Based on their 2018 stats,  I have them 11 to 16 (around 12).

Behind which teams?

Lots of RBs have changed teams so I can't tell which duos you have ahead of ours for this year.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2019, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I 100% agree that both Mixon and Bernard should be utilized in the passing game, however their is a big difference between being used a pass receiving RB and an WR.  RBs don't get open by running precise routes.  They are almost always used on swing passes, screens, drags, and wheel routes.  Route running is a skill that takes a lot of time to perfect.

True, there is a difference between catching out of the backfield and running WR routes. But Bernard can run those WR routes and if they team is having him practice out there then I believe it would be a way to get him on the field. The only other way would be to use two back sets, which would be nice to see.

Reply/Quote
Mixon is one of the top backs in the league, no doubt. I think Gio, properly utilized, is upper half of the league as a #2. I'll vote 6-10 just because of all the unknowns but could easily see them top 5.
Reply/Quote
Given Gurley's knee issues and Bell's attitude there's maybe 3 RBs in the NFL I'd take over Mixon:
Zeke
Barkley
McCaffery

and none of those have a backfield mate close to Gio. So I easily have then Top 5

Reply/Quote
Numero uno...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
They're elite on paper in my mind, the line and the coaching are going to have to step up, though.
Reply/Quote