21-32 The Tylers are in the lower half of the NFL
51.72%
15 51.72%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the Bengal TEs
Where do we rank the Bengal 2 TE set compared to the rest of the NFL?
As always I'll give you the other projected starters as reference:

ARZ- Troy Niklas, Gerald Christian
ATL- Jacob Tamme, Levine Toilolo
BAL- Crockett Gilmore, Maxx Williams
BUF- Charles Clay, Chris Gragg
CAR- Greg Olsen, Ed Dickson
CHI- Martellus Bennet, Zach Miller
CLV- Gary Barnage, Jim Dray
DAL- Jason Witten, Gaven Escobar
DEN- Owen Daniels, Virgil Green
DET- Eric Ebron, Brandon Pettigrew
GBP- Andrew Quarless, Richard Rogers
HOU- Garett Graham, CJ Fiedorwicz
IND- Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener
JAX- Julius Thomas, Clay Harbor
KCC- Travis Kelce, Demetrius Harris
MIA- Jordan Cameron, Dion Sims
MIN- Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison
NEP- Rob Gronkowski, Scott Chandler
NOS- Ben Watson, Orson Charles
NYG- Larry Donnell, Daniel Fells
NYJ- Jace Amaro, Jeff Cumberland
OAK- Mychel Rivera, Clive Walford
PHI- Brent Celek, Zach Ertz
PIT- Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth
SDC- Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green
SEA- Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson
STL- Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks
SFF- Veron David, Derek Carrier
TBB- Austin Seferian-J, Brandon Myers
TEN- Delanie Walker, Craig Stevens
WAS- Jordan Reed, Logan Paulsen

I realize that how you rank them will be based a lot on potential versus experience; therefore, I have made the choices quite broad.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of it has to do with how they are used by the staff. I mean Miler/ Spaeth don't look like much on paper but they seem to get pretty good production out of them. Chandler/Gronk looks to be a formidable pair playing in the NE system. Gates and Green could be lethal. Ebron/Pettigrew looks good on paper.
None of the Bengal TE's are proven but I suppose on potential alone I will give them a middle of the pack vote,but it all comes down to how the CS uses them and whether or not Dalton can be accurate getting them the ball underneath or in the seam for that matter.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 11:27 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Where do we rank the Bengal 2 TE set compared to the rest of the NFL?
As always I'll give you the other projected starters as reference:

ARZ- Troy Niklas, Gerald Christian
ATL- Jacob Tamme, Levine Toilolo
BAL- Crockett Gilmore, Maxx Williams
BUF- Charles Clay, Chris Gragg
CAR- Greg Olsen, Ed Dickson
CHI- Martellus Bennet, Zach Miller
CLV- Gary Barnage, Jim Dray
DAL- Jason Witten, Gaven Escobar
DEN- Owen Daniels, Virgil Green
DET- Eric Ebron, Brandon Pettigrew
GBP- Andrew Quarless, Richard Rogers
HOU- Garett Graham, CJ Fiedorwicz
IND- Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener
JAX- Julius Thomas, Clay Harbor
KCC- Travis Kelce, Demetrius Harris
MIA- Jordan Cameron, Dion Sims
MIN- Kyle Rudolph, Rhett Ellison
NEP- Rob Gronkowski, Scott Chandler
NOS- Ben Watson, Orson Charles
NYG- Larry Donnell, Daniel Fells
NYJ- Jace Amaro, Jeff Cumberland
OAK- Mychel Rivera, Clive Walford
PHI- Brent Celek, Zach Ertz
PIT- Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth
SDC- Antonio Gates, Ladarius Green
SEA- Jimmy Graham, Luke Willson
STL- Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks
SFF- Veron David, Derek Carrier
TBB- Austin Seferian-J, Brandon Myers
TEN- Delanie Walker, Craig Stevens
WAS- Jordan Reed, Logan Paulsen

I realize that how you rank them will be based a lot on potential versus experience; therefore, I have made the choices quite broad.

1. I have them around 18th as of now. 
2. Josh Hill is the #1 TE for the Saints.
3. If you're counting Dennis Pitta out, then it'd only be fair to not count Burfict among our LB's when you do those rankings.
4. Gresham is visiting the Cards and will probably sign with them if he's healthy, so keep that in mind.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Honestly I think as of now we don't have a big enough sample size to have a legitimate ranking for them so I voted middle of the pack
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 02:17 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Honestly I think as of now we don't have a big enough sample size to have a legitimate ranking for them so I voted middle of the pack

Exactly what I was thinking. Lots of potential but need to see what they can do over the course of a full season.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 02:17 PM)TSwigZ Wrote: Honestly I think as of now we don't have a big enough sample size to have a legitimate ranking for them so I voted middle of the pack

This is kind of my thought as well.  Not much to judge them off of.  For this reason though, I'd vote them near the bottom rather than near the middle.  They shouldn't be higher than the mid-20s.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
We have a guy that has only played one year and two rookies. So that alone puts us in the mid 20s. Although I would not be surprised if we are ranked in the top 10 by the end of the year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Eifert's been injured his entire career and Kroft wasn't really used as a receiving threat, but more so blocking.

I counted 20 teams that have proven they are better. They Tyler's have potential to be higher up, but I can't do a list just based off of potential alone.
Reply/Quote
Historically, you can't expect much of anything from rookie tight ends.

We have 2 rookies out of 3 total.

And the third is coming off an injury and hasn't played in almost a year. He also doesn't even have a proven track record that he's all that great to begin with. All potential at this point.

I don't think we're the worst, but probably in the mid to late 20s.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 05:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Historically, you can't expect much of anything from rookie tight ends.

Meh. It depends really. Gresh, Eifert, Schobel and Tony McGee have all had an impact as rookie TE's for this team over the last 20 years or so.

So it can and has been done many times.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 07:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Meh. It depends really. Gresh, Eifert, Schobel and Tony McGee have all had an impact as rookie TE's for this team over the last 20 years or so.

So it can and has been done many times.

I guess it depends on what you consider an impact.

Eifert was a nice little compliment, as was Gresham. 

40 or 50 receptions for 500 yards and about 5 TDs.

Nice little compliment, but not what I would call an impact.

Just did a quick search for rookie stats for 1st and 2nd round TEs in the last 4 drafts (It would take too long to check any lower in the draft or any earlier, so it's a flawed statistical analysis)

I only chose 1st and 2nd rounders because that is typically who are expected to start as rookies. I looked at 11 guys, 9 of which played at least 12 games.  I excluded the other 2, as they played less than 10 games. 

On average, they had 26 receptions for 294 yards and 2 touchdowns. The biggest impact was Zach Ertz, who had 36 receptions for 469 yards and 4 touchdowns.

And that's from 1st and 2nd rounders. Tyler is a 3rd round pick and wasn't really known for his receiving prowess in his senior year.

Here's an article about rookie tight ends:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/fantasy-football-today/24597949/history-not-kind-to-rookie-tight-ends
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 08:19 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I guess it depends on what you consider an impact.

Just did a quick search for rookie stats for 1st and 2nd round TEs in the last 4 drafts (It would take too long to check any lower in the draft or any earlier, so it's a flawed statistical analysis)

I only chose 1st and 2nd rounders because that is typically who are expected to start as rookies. I looked at 11 guys, 9 of which played at least 12 games.  I excluded the other 2, as they played less than 10 games. 

On average, they had 26 receptions for 294 yards and 2 touchdowns. The biggest impact was Zach Ertz, who had 36 receptions for 469 yards and 4 touchdowns.

And that's from 1st and 2nd rounders. Tyler is a 3rd round pick and wasn't really known for his receiving prowess in his senior year.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/fantasy-football-today/24597949/history-not-kind-to-rookie-tight-ends

But Eifert didn't reach any of those stats. He only has 482 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns in his first two years and didn't eclipse 40 receptions his first season.

Honestly, Gresham had a good rookie season, especially for a team that rarely used the tight end as a receiver.

He was doing better and better each year, even led all tight ends in YAC for a year. Gresham isn't as bad as people say, just didn't fit our offense and had mental mistakes.

Gresham deserves praise for his playoff game against the Chargers. One of the few players who actually showed up and played lights out. 2 out of his 3 playoff games he actually did pretty well. But many people only remember the Houston game.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 08:19 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I guess it depends on what you consider an impact.

You could take any position and do that because rookies are less likely to be big time contributors than 2-3 year vets. Many rookies turn out to be busts. Some sit behind a vet before taking over. It's like that with any position. I never said that it was likely that our rookie TE's will be major contributors. I just said that it can and has been done. It has. 

We'll just have to disagree that 40 catches and 500 yards isn't an impact. Last year, only 17 TE's posted 500+ yards. Yet you don't think 500 yards from a rookie is an impact? Ok.

And honestly, I think a stat line of 26-294-2 should be about all we should expect from Kroft this year. Eifert is the starter and it looks like we're moving away from 2 TE sets. So maybe your expectations are a little lofty.
Reply/Quote
Middle of the pack. Eifert could be great but he has been injured.

Kroft and Uzumah are rookies.

Eifert might be one of the most talented TE's in the league in terms of going up for the ball though.

So that is why i say we are not one of the worst if he can stay healthy.
Reply/Quote