28-32 We have one of the worst trios in the NFL
0%
0 0%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the Bengal WRs
Where do we rank the Bengal 3 wide compared to the rest of the NFL?
 As always I'll give you the other projected Duos as reference:

ARZ- Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Floyd, John Brown
ATL- Julio Jones, Roddy White, Leonard Hankerson
BAL- Steve Smith Sr., Breshad Perriman, Marlon Brown
BUF- Sammy Watkins, Percy Harvin, Robert Woods
CAR- Kelvin Benjamin, Jerihco Cotchery, Devin Funchess
CHI- Alshon Jeffrey, Kevin White, Eddie Royal
CLV- Brian Hartline, Dwayne Bowe, Andrew Hawkins
DAL- Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, Cole Beasley
DEN- DeMaryius Thomas, Emmanual Sanders, Andre Caldwell
DET- Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Lance Moore
GBP- Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, DaVante Adams
HOU- Cecil Shorts III, DeAndre Hopkins, DaMarius Johnson
IND- Andre Johnson, TY Hilton, Phillip Dorsett
JAX- Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marquis Lee
KCC- Jerry Maclin, Albert Wilson, Jason Avant
MIA- Kenny Stills, Greg Jennings, DeVante Parker
MIN- Mike Wallace, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jarius Wright
NEP- Brandon LaFell, Julian Edelman, Andre Dobson
NOS- Marcus Colston, Brandan Cooks, Joe Morgan
NYG- Odell Beckham, Victor Cruz, Ruben Randle
NYJ- Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Devin Smith
OAK- Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, Andre Holmes
PHI- Nelson Agholor, Jordan Matthews, Riley Cooper
PIT- Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Martavis Bryant
SDC- Malcom Floyd, Kenaan Allen, Stevie Johnson
SFF- Anquan Boldin, Torry Smith, Jerome Simpson
SEA- Jermaine Kearse, Doug Balwin, Ricardo Lockette
STL- Brain Quick, Kenny Britt, Stedman Bailey
TBB- Vince Jackson, Mike Evans, Louis Murphy
TEN- Harry Douglas, Kendall Wright, Dorial Green-Beckham
WAS- Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think these are better:

SFF- Anquan Boldin, Torry Holt, Jerome Simpson

So I give us 6-10

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 08:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I think these are better:

SFF- Anquan Boldin, Torry Holt, Jerome Simpson

So I give us 6-10

Add in Detroit's WR corps, and this is my list as well.

Well, except for the fact that Torry Holt hasn't played football in about a half of a decade.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:11 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Add in Detroit's WR corps, and this is my list as well.

Well, except for the fact that Torry Holt hasn't played football in about a half of a decade.

Well at least you're paying attention. I get that one wrong almost as much as Bobby Hoyer

Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 09:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well at least you're paying attention. I get that one wrong almost as much as Bobby Hoyer

I would add Denver, Atlanta, and Dallas in there too
Reply/Quote
We have a top 5 Wr in AJ green but I am not sure if Jones or Sanu come anywhere near the top 30.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If you are looking at trios I think Sanu being our #3 WR puts us solidly in the top 10.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 05:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Where do you rank the Bengals 3 WRs compared to the rest of the NFL?

Below these trios:

Roughly at 12th for me, some of these I was lenient on for playing with an elite QB, but production is production. One I didn't include but think could jump them this year is Philly.
Reply/Quote
1-2
Only Detroit may be better.

Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 04:04 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Below these trios:

Roughly at 12th for me, some of these I was lenient on for playing with an elite QB, but production is production. One I didn't include but think could jump them this year is Philly.
I agree with this. I have them at 11th.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I feel that I could argue for them anywhere between #9 and #12, so I'll let the homer in me give them the top 10 nod.
Reply/Quote
It is really hard to rank groups of three players.

how much weight do you give to the best guy? How much does the worst guy pull them down?

I could see the Bengals anywhere from abut 6 to 12. So I'll day 6-10.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 09:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote:
how much weight do you give to the best guy?  How much does the worst guy pull them down?

That's where I get stuck. Honestly, that makes it tough for me to rate duos too because of trying to weigh the #1s vs #2s

Let's just take ATL for example since a few people mentioned them.

Julio Jones vs. A.J. Green - toss up IMO Jones had an excellent 2014 for being on a crap team, but A.J. has done it more consistently and remained healthier in his career
Roddy White vs. MLJ - Roddy gets it for raw talent and his career, but he's definitely on the downswing of his NFL lifeline and MLJ is just beginning his journey with a solid 2013 campaign in the books. I think it's realistically closer than most people would have it, but it'd be too homerish to claim anything but Roddy > MLJ.
Leonard Hankerson vs. Sanu - I'll use the same argument that I saw people used to use for Harry Douglas when they'd rate ATL over CIN in WRs a year or two ago on the mothership. While he wasn't an amazing receiver last year, Sanu proved he could step it up in a bigger role if absolutely necessary. That immediately gets Sanu the win without even mentioning that he's clearly a better #3 option regardless of his ability to step up in a higher role.

Now, is Sanu enough better than Hankerson that closes the gap between White/MLJ at this point of their respective careers? I don't know. I do think having a deep receiving corp is very underrated by a lot of people, as having many solid options for a QB is obviously a great "problem" to have. It may be the homer in me speaking right now, but I believe our group of guys could be argued over ATL right now depending on how you value depth.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 10:17 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's where I get stuck. Honestly, that makes it tough for me to rate duos too because of trying to weigh the #1s vs #2s

Let's just take ATL for example since a few people mentioned them.

Julio Jones vs. A.J. Green - toss up IMO Jones had an excellent 2014 for being on a crap team, but A.J. has done it more consistently and remained healthier in his career
Roddy White vs. MLJ - Roddy gets it for raw talent and his career, but he's definitely on the downswing of his NFL lifeline and MLJ is just beginning his journey with a solid 2013 campaign in the books. I think it's realistically closer than most people would have it, but it'd be too homerish to claim anything but Roddy > MLJ.
Leonard Hankerson vs. Sanu - I'll use the same argument that I saw people used to use for Harry Douglas when they'd rate ATL over CIN in WRs a year or two ago on the mothership. While he wasn't an amazing receiver last year, Sanu proved he could step it up in a bigger role if absolutely necessary. That immediately gets Sanu the win without even mentioning that he's clearly a better #3 option regardless of his ability to step up in a higher role.

Now, is Sanu enough better than Hankerson that closes the gap between White/MLJ at this point of their respective careers? I don't know. I do think having a deep receiving corp is very underrated by a lot of people, as having many solid options for a QB is obviously a great "problem" to have. It may be the homer in me speaking right now, but I believe our group of guys could be argued over ATL right now depending on how you value depth.

If Roddy White is able to play at the level he normally does then Sanu doesn't close the gap. Roddy White is one of the best #2 receivers in the league IMO. You have to factor in the injury issue that Jones is going through right now too. He has only played one year where he was healthy. If I remember correctly he had an ankle injury his rookie year too. White has had a few rough spots the last few years, but it's been nothing like Jones.
Reply/Quote
My ranking vote would be : ??????

We have never seen AJ, Jones, Sanu and Eifert healthy for a whole season together and we are never ever healthy at WR in the play-offs. We have been forced to play bench warmers that were on the team for kick returns but as receivers were not very good and never got open in the play-offs. In the play-offs, it's not been so much that the QB doesn't hit them, but the fact that our bench warmers get no separation. They couldn't get open if they had all day. This is not just my opinion but what the TV broadcast announcers of these play-off games have said.

When healthy, Dalton to AJ has been a great combo getting us 4 straight seasons to play-offs. The problem is that nobody else has ever stepped up in the play-offs, so the opposing play-off teams could double down on AJ. With AJ injured against Colts, we had no chance and that game can not be blamed on Dalton at all, not with Jones and Eifert also injured and we were playing the worst of the worst at WR, and they got no separation the entire game.

So, if healthy, we could have good receivers for the first time in a long time, and you add that to our RB's of Hill and Gio and a very possible Bart Starr/ Len Dawson like Dalton and we could have a heck of an offense.......but until it happens, our receivers are a huge question mark. I don't want to over rate our receivers. I don't want to over rate any of this team. This is the year these players need to step up and do it. They know it, we know it. They can go as far as they are willing to go, it's up to them, starting in 14 days in training camp. Until they do it on the field, all is hype. This could be a 1981 or 1988 type season or a 4 win season, it could swing either way. Much will depend on injuries, how much these young players have matured into veterans, and how much EXTRA effort they put into each practice and game. How much do they want to win ????

So I say a big question mark rating....unknown......but I will say the team has carried kick returners that when forced to play WR do to injuries, they aren't worth a darn. I know you need special teams, but back up receivers should be able to come in and play if needed. Having no chance against Colts really showed that as a weakness. We don't need back up receivers who can kick return but can't get open and make catches. If you can't count on them or use them, find other back-ups. I can see needing return men, but first they must be able to play their offense or defense position. If they can't do that, it creates a huge problem when they are forced to play.

I can't compare them to any other team, since nobody knows really what we have at WR just yet. I will guarantee that Dalton to AJ is not enough, not even close to enough. If that's all we got, NFLdefenses will be all over those plays.....but I can hope, and I hope we go into play-offs with enough quality receivers for the first time in many years, and with our RB's and our O Line and our Defense, plus Nugent/ Huber, that this is the year of the Tiger. ...Go Bengals !!!!
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 10:24 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: If Roddy White is able to play at the level he normally does then Sanu doesn't close the gap. Roddy White is one of the best #2 receivers in the league IMO. You have to factor in the injury issue that Jones is going through right now too. He has only played one year where he was healthy. If I remember correctly he had an ankle injury his rookie year too. White has had a few rough spots the last few years, but it's been nothing like Jones.

I believe Sanu is a much better WR3 than Hankerson though. It's a pretty wide margin from what we've seen of their professional careers thus far even though Sanu has the dropsies.

I don't know about statistically speaking, but I've never seen Roddy White look as bad as the guy I watched on the field for the last 2 seasons. He's been on quite the decline, BUT he was so good that declining a bit still makes him a good receiver, I won't deny that. I absolutely believe Roddy White > MLJ, I just don't know if it's as big of a gap as people want to say, especially if we see 2013 MLJ and 2013/2014 White both show up this coming year. Injury is definitely a factor as well.

A.J. >= Julio
MLJ < White
Sanu >> Hankerson

I think it's definitely debatable, especially depending on how much you weigh depth and your opinion of the current versions of the #2 receivers. I was very impressed watching Marvin in 2013, stats aside the kid just looked great. I hope he can keep it up.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 10:30 AM)kevin Wrote: My ranking vote would be :  ??????

We have never seen AJ, Jones, Sanu and Eifert healthy for a whole season together and we are never ever healthy at WR in the play-offs.

2013 is a time period that does exist, just an FYI. All of those guys were healthy and played together.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 10:36 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I believe Sanu is a much better WR3 than Hankerson though. It's a pretty wide margin from what we've seen of their professional careers thus far even though Sanu has the dropsies.

I don't know about statistically speaking, but I've never seen Roddy White look as bad as the guy I watched on the field for the last 2 seasons. He's been on quite the decline, BUT he was so good that declining a bit still makes him a good receiver, I won't deny that. I absolutely believe Roddy White > MLJ, I just don't know if it's as big of a gap as people want to say, especially if we see 2013 MLJ and 2013/2014 White both show up this coming year. Injury is definitely a factor as well.

A.J. >= Julio
MLJ < White
Sanu >> Hankerson

I think it's definitely debatable, especially depending on how much you weigh depth and your opinion of the current versions of the #2 receivers. I was very impressed watching Marvin in 2013, stats aside the kid just looked great. I hope he can keep it up.

Don't get me wrong. I think Sanu is better than Hankerson. I just don't think that he's THAT much better than him. When they are both playing the #3 position they get about the same yards, and TDs. I think that the whole thing depends on how well White plays next year. If he plays like he normally does and gets +1000 yards (or close), and close to 10 TDs Atlanta will have a better trio, but if he stays on the decline I think that we have a slight edge over them IF Jones plays well next year.

You have to remember Jones might not come back at 100% either.
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 10:39 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 2013 is a time period that does exist, just an FYI. All of those guys were healthy and played together.

but 2013 was way to early to really know what Sanu and Jones can do.  They were young  and not ready for prime time....I'm hoping for more, much more ....and we can't have all our receivers in the hospital, we need some luck on injuries this year as opposed to last year. ....How good these guys are together is really unknown, but I hope they are awesome and take us to the promised land. ...We will soon see on the field, the season coming up quick and fast.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
6-10.. With a healthy 2013 MLJ....top 5 maybe top 3.... Someone else said that MLJ was not even top 30...In 2013 MLJ was...

43 in yards...considering 32 starters that is pretty good for a number 2
9 in TDs...very good overall no matter what
43 in recepetions...again, with 32 nfl starters..pretty good for the number 2

While a healthy MLJ in 2013 was not in the statistical catergory of a starter he was one of the top #2 WRs in the league
Reply/Quote