25-32
0%
0 0%
Total 34 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rank the DEs (2018_
(07-20-2018, 02:49 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm expecting big things from them this season with a fresh rotation.  6-10 easily.

Put me down x2 in this camp. If things line up like I believe they can, offense scoring points eating clock forcing more passing from opposition, WJIII starting from jump, Geno with better help inside, among other things.

DE's could have a hell of a season !
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2018, 10:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I ranked them just below the middle of the pack.

The reason is because I tried to rank them on what they have actually done, not potential.  Lawson was a real gem of a find, and I hope we see a lot more of him at RDE on passing downs.  We have needed a true edge rushing threat from the right side, and he could be it.  

I think Willis would be a great base RDE, who will still generate pressure.  

Carlos is great, but I feel it is poor usage of him to have him play 99% of snaps. Sure, he can do it, but how much more effective could he be if he was getting a bit more rest and coming off the sideline breathing fire?  Hubbard rotating with him at LDE could pay huge dividends.  

The biggest weakness has been the center of the defensive line.  As great as Geno is, the spot next to him was a liability in rush defense and the ends never benefitted from much push up the middle.  Hopefully, Chris Baker and Billings can improve upon the performance that position received last year.  If we get Willis to sometimes line up at NT, with Geno at DT,  Carlos LDE, and Lawson at RDE, that so-called "Nascar package" could be very fun to watch.

Lot of good points here SHRacerX.  Especially the point about over-using Dunlap and the failure at the DT position last year.  

So some real contingencies: 

1. Can Hubbard fill in for Carlos with enough efficacy to give him the needed breather to come back juiced and ready to wreak havoc?
  2. Can Baker, Billings and Glascow (and possibly either Willis and/ or Johnson) step it up in the middle?
I am also intrigued to see what Andrew Brown can do in the interior, and possibly in relief of Dunlap.

I am really interested in the potential of this group.   The games cannot come quickly enough for me.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 02:42 PM)3wt Wrote: Lot of good points here SHRacerX.  Especially the point about over-using Dunlap and the failure at the DT position last year.  

So some real contingencies: 

1. Can Hubbard fill in for Carlos with enough efficacy to give him the needed breather to come back juiced and ready to wreak havoc?
  2. Can Baker, Billings and Glascow (and possibly either Willis and/ or Johnson) step it up in the middle?
I am also intrigued to see what Andrew Brown can do in the interior, and possibly in relief of Dunlap.

I am really interested in the potential of this group.   The games cannot come quickly enough for me.

How did I not mention Glasgow?  There have been very few DTs that come in to the NFL and light it up their rookie season.  Not saying Glasgow did this, but he played a lot of snaps and gained some very valuable experience.  He may not be the best pass rusher, but he is at least solid at the NT spot in rush defense and, hopefully, continues to build upon his rookie season.  

Billings is the ultimate "what do we really have here" guy.  He was so impressive (reportedly) his rookie season before the injury, but his return was disappointing.  Hopefully, another full year after the injury and he starts to live up to his potential.  He also has to be thinking of his second contract at this point.  If he doesn't shine, he might not get the opportunity a year from now and would be relegated as a backup.  

As much as I look forward to the regular season, I am actually pretty excited for the preseason games.  Yeah, they may not need four of them, but I really like watching them and evaluating the players. 
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 08:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How did I not mention Glasgow?  There have been very few DTs that come in to the NFL and light it up their rookie season.  Not saying Glasgow did this, but he played a lot of snaps and gained some very valuable experience.  He may not be the best pass rusher, but he is at least solid at the NT spot in rush defense and, hopefully, continues to build upon his rookie season.  

Billings is the ultimate "what do we really have here" guy.  He was so impressive (reportedly) his rookie season before the injury, but his return was disappointing.  Hopefully, another full year after the injury and he starts to live up to his potential.  He also has to be thinking of his second contract at this point.  If he doesn't shine, he might not get the opportunity a year from now and would be relegated as a backup.  

As much as I look forward to the regular season, I am actually pretty excited for the preseason games.  Yeah, they may not need four of them, but I really like watching them and evaluating the players. 
Just so many things to watch this year.

I thought Glascow quitted himself pretty well last year.   Usually year 2 is where you see the most improvement if it's going to come (unless there's an injury).   REALLY hoping he takes it to another level - at least as far as run stopping goes.

I have a bad feeling about Billings.   I think that it's his head more than his physical ability.  He was consistently in the wrong gaps last year and was easily re-directed by offensive linemen.

Truly hope I'm wrong.  But the only good thing I heard about him in his short first pre-season of practice was that he was strong.

I think we had a good draft this year.  The only guy I think we may have whiffed on was Jefferson.   I think it's the football intelligence thing, but that's just an uninformed opinion.

We'll see soon!
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 08:07 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How did I not mention Glasgow?  There have been very few DTs that come in to the NFL and light it up their rookie season.  Not saying Glasgow did this, but he played a lot of snaps and gained some very valuable experience.  He may not be the best pass rusher, but he is at least solid at the NT spot in rush defense and, hopefully, continues to build upon his rookie season.  

(07-25-2018, 01:14 PM)3wt Wrote: Just so many things to watch this year.

I thought Glascow quitted himself pretty well last year.   Usually year 2 is where you see the most improvement if it's going to come (unless there's an injury).   REALLY hoping he takes it to another level - at least as far as run stopping goes.

I have a bad feeling about Billings.   I think that it's his head more than his physical ability.  He was consistently in the wrong gaps last year and was easily re-directed by offensive linemen.

Truly hope I'm wrong.  But the only good thing I heard about him in his short first pre-season of practice was that he was strong.

I think we had a good draft this year.  The only guy I think we may have whiffed on was Jefferson.   I think it's the football intelligence thing, but that's just an uninformed opinion.

We'll see soon!

I might be the biggest Billings guy on here but Glasgow outplayed him last year. Like you said, he was in the wrong
gaps and got washed out of plays a lot last season. But there is always a learning curve for young players and Billings
is still really young. This year he will be able to really lift and get back to where he was.

Expecting him to really improve this year which is just another reason i am really excited. Wink

Billings at Baylor reminded me of a Vince Wilfork/Geno Atkins hybrid. Want to see this come to fruition.

If it does, the entire Defense will be so much better. Billings was a great run stopper in college, we need that.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2018, 01:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I might be the biggest Billings guy on here but Glasgow outplayed him last year. Like you said, he was in the wrong
gaps and got washed out of plays a lot last season. But there is always a learning curve for young players and Billings
is still really young. This year he will be able to really lift and get back to where he was.

Expecting him to really improve this year which is just another reason i am really excited. Wink

Billings at Baylor reminded me of a Vince Wilfork/Geno Atkins hybrid. Want to see this come to fruition.

If it does, the entire Defense will be so much better. Billings was a great run stopper in college, we need that.

If Ross is my biggest "game changer" on offense, Billings might be that for the defense.  By this, I mean that if they go on to do what I think they are capable of, their impact on their team's unit will be tremendous. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 06:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If Ross is my biggest "game changer" on offense, Billings might be that for the defense.  By this, I mean that if they go on to do what I think they are capable of, their impact on their team's unit will be tremendous. 

Right with you on both those guys. If these two show up and be what i thought they could be our team will be tough.

Really tough. A speedster opposite Green with great open field ability on Offense we have needed for a long time.

A great run stopper beside Atkins that is not a one trick pony should make the entire D-line so much better namely Atkins.

Geno has never had this beside him. Peko was a one trick pony, by the time Sims got to start he was getting older.
Reply/Quote