Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the AFC North Defenses....and what does it mean for the Bengals?
(06-29-2020, 03:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: X further elaborates that if he was a backup, why did he start for a defense ranked in the top 10 last year and was possibly their best LB?  

Point, counterpoint.  

He was not even CLOSE to theiur best LB last year.  you honestly think ANY teamwould let their BEST LB walk for just $1.6 million?

The Ravens signed Bynes 5 games into the season last year out of desperation.  If he had been an attracvtive option he would have made soem other teams roster coming out of training camp.  He then started for a good defense the same way Kim Herring started for arguably the greatest defense of all time ('00 Ravens).  He was the best option at a position where they had no talent.

You been around long enough to remember how Herring played for us?  
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 06:44 PM)JSR18 Wrote: I was right there too. I knew if they got by the Stoolers, they were in control. When they lost I didnt say anything for 24 hrs. I slowly and quietly put all my Bengals shit away (everything that I didn't break) all the while doing a slow burn.

'16, '17, '18 and'19 were blurs. I'd watch parts of games, change the channel at halftime. I'd lurk on the boards, never saying anything.

This year is different! I feel rejuvenated, like I used too. I'm not going to post a won-loss record. I will say I feel very very optimistic...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This is the way I feel.

Sad some of the other guys on here don't even think there will be a season. There will be a season and we should have a good 
chance at having a very good one with the FA we had and the Draft all the while adding Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was not even CLOSE to theiur best LB last year.  you honestly think ANY teamwould let their BEST LB walk for just $1.6 million?

The Ravens signed Bynes 5 games into the season last year out of desperation.  If he had been an attracvtive option he would have made soem other teams roster coming out of training camp.  He then started for a good defense the same way Kim Herring started for arguably the greatest defense of all time ('00 Ravens).  He was the best option at a position where they had no talent.

That is not the point Fred, the point is the Ravens fans didn't like losing Bynes and all we need is a decent vet LB like Dhani Jones.

I think Bynes could be that type of vet LB for us and don't find getting him to be a bad thing.

That doesn't mean there is a cult following like you said, that was a ridiculous statement.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, like many other fans, I went all in in 2015.  I just knew that team was special, yet the Bengals still found a way to break my heart..

That is the curious part, the front office going out of character like that.  Makes me think that they actually believe in Coach Lou, his plans on improvement, and his change in philosophy requiring the players with specific skill sets to get the job done.  Moreover, I think that they are all in on Coach Taylor, and want to give him and now Joe Burrow every opportunity to build a winner from this year going forward.

Financially, it makes the most sense to go all in while the QB is on his rookie contract.  Here's to hoping this change in philosophy pays off!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He was not even CLOSE to theiur best LB last year.  you honestly think ANY teamwould let their BEST LB walk for just $1.6 million?

This should be interesting.  Who was their best INSIDE LB last year?  And, yes, since they just got younger at the position with both Patrick Queen and Malik Harrison drafted as inside LBs, they could allow their best inside LB to walk.  We let an NFL starting QB walk for $3 million and that is just a BIT more important a position than the ILB.

To look at what Bynes did last year after joining the team (because they clearly needed better tackling at the LB position):

Bynes played in 12 games, with 7 of them starts.  In that period of time, he amassed 2 INTs, 6 Passes defensed, and 4 Forced fumbles with 46 tackles, 6 Tackles for loss, and 2 QB hits.  (76.6 PFF Rating)

Patrick Onwuaser played in 14 games with 6 starts.  He amassed 0 INTs, 1 PD, and 1 FF with 64 tackles, 5 TFLs, and 6 QB hits (PFF rating 49.4)

LJ Fort (who I believe some people on here were interested in and is two years younger than Bynes) played in 12 games with 8 starts.  He amassed 0 INTs, 1 PD, and 0 FF with 35 tackles, 4 TFLs, and 2 QB hits.  (PFF rating 70.1).

So maybe you can tell me which inside LB Bynes isn't even close to on their roster because I'm confused.  
Reply/Quote
Very few Bengals fans lost sleep when Vigil signed with San Diego.
Bynes is a better LB and it's not even close
How many playoff teams could have Vigil started
For last year ?
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2020, 09:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This should be interesting.  Who was their best INSIDE LB last year?  And, yes, since they just got younger at the position with both Patrick Queen and Malik Harrison drafted as inside LBs, they could allow their best inside LB to walk. 

Okay, so Bynes might have been their best INSIDE LB last year, but that was just because all their other INSIDE LBs sucked.

Bynes was a free agent.  Every single team in the league had a chance to sign him.  NO TEAM WAS WILLING TO PAY HIM MORE THAN LEAGUE MINIMUM.  

He just is not very good.  

Every NFL team agrees with me.  Even the Ravens,
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2020, 10:51 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Very few Bengals fans  lost sleep when Vigil signed with San Diego.
Bynes is a better LB and it's not even close
How many playoff teams could have Vigil started
For last year ?

1.  Bynes is not better than Vigil.

2.  Since when does being better than Vigil satisfy anyone.  Even I had not problem with replacing Vigil.  I just wanted us to replace him with someone BETTER.  Hopefully with the development of Pratt and our draft picks we won't even need Bynes.
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2020, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Okay, so Bynes might have been their best INSIDE LB last year, but that was just because all their other INSIDE LBs sucked.

Bynes was a free agent.  Every single team in the league had a chance to sign him.  NO TEAM WAS WILLING TO PAY HIM MORE THAN LEAGUE MINIMUM.  

He just is not very good.  

Every NFL team agrees with me.  Even the Ravens,

A little different than "not even close to their best LB".  

Yes, their other inside LBs "sucked" and him coming to the team improved the performance of an already pretty stacked defense, at least in the front and back end.  That shows you how important it is to have sound tackling LBs in the center of the field with good instincts.  

As far as your follow up "he just is not very good", which is ironic as you just recognized him as the best ILB on a team that had a very good defense down the stretch, I will offer that he is one of the better run-stuffing ILBs in the league and is coming off his best season in pass defense.  I could care less about what other teams were willing to pay him.  Situations are different and the fact that there might be a significant retraction in cap space makes all dollar arguments a moot point. 

Bynes isn't going to make the Pro Bowl, but offers the Bengals a lot of flexibility around him and is a solid veteran presence.  It's time you stopped poking fun at fans for supporting him.  
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2020, 03:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: A little different than "not even close to their best LB".  

Yes, their other inside LBs "sucked" and him coming to the team improved the performance of an already pretty stacked defense, at least in the front and back end.  That shows you how important it is to have sound tackling LBs in the center of the field with good instincts.  

As far as your follow up "he just is not very good", which is ironic as you just recognized him as the best ILB on a team that had a very good defense down the stretch, I will offer that he is one of the better run-stuffing ILBs in the league and is coming off his best season in pass defense.  I could care less about what other teams were willing to pay him.  Situations are different and the fact that there might be a significant retraction in cap space makes all dollar arguments a moot point. 

Bynes isn't going to make the Pro Bowl, but offers the Bengals a lot of flexibility around him and is a solid veteran presence.  It's time you stopped poking fun at fans for supporting him.  

Damn rights. Rock On
Reply/Quote