Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the AFC North Defenses....and what does it mean for the Bengals?
(06-26-2020, 05:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Cult???

No its people proving you wrong about him with all your lame attempts to discredit him.

Haha, this sounds a bit more reasonable.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2020, 12:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you read anything about the offseason on 2020 (outside the Rona), you will likely see a lot of love for the Baltimore Ravens.  With good reason.  They added Derek Wolfe and Calais Campbell to their already solid defense.  They had a solid draft, adding JK Dobbins and some young talent at WR.  

That all being said, I can't help but think a great deal of their defenses success were attributed to their amazing offense.  Team would fall behind and become one-dimensional.  When they got to the playoffs, Tennessee had a design to greatly reduce their offensive output, largely by keeping them off the field.  I can't help but think the league will have a few more answers on how to limit them offensively in year two and the back end of their defense is still suspect, especially at LB position.  

They signed DJ Fluker for a one-year deal, but did so because of the retirement of one of the best Guards in the league for the past decade, Marshall Yanda.  Not much is being said of the Fluker for Yanda swap.  It could be a huge difference for their offense.  

I like how the Ravens are built and Calais Campbell is a beast, but I can't help but think the steelers (puke) have a better defense heading in to the 2020 season.  They were really good last year, despite having one of the worst offenses in the league.  They paid a high price for Mincah Fitzpatrick, but he is clearly worth it.  Devin Bush is a playmaker, and they have a strong defensive line.  If the steelers offense is even just solid in 2020, their defense could be the best in the division.

The Browns are a huge wildcard.  It reminds me a lot of the Colts under Manning where they had tons of weapons but only a few top tier players on defense.  I honestly have no idea what to expect other than their coaching staff looks to be a massive upgrade over the useless Freddy Kitchen.  I would place their defense as tied for third with the Bengals.  

If the Bengals offense can be what we all hope with Burrow and a stable of weapons, the Bengals defense could improve dramatically simply by not always being put in bad situations and not being on the field so long.  The addition of Reader in the middle, with Von Bell, and Josh Bynes offers THREE significant upgrades right off the bat.  The young speedsters at LB should also help and that could pay dividends in terms of allowing the pass rush to get home.  If Lawson can stay healthy and Hubbard continues to develop, the pass rush could be improved as well.  The back end is a bit of a wild card as I don't know which WJIII we will get and if Waynes and Alexander fit the scheme and produce as well.  I will say this:  If Reader, Bell, Bynes and the young LBs stay healthy, the back end will be in a MUCH better position to produce.  

Thoughts?

Nice thread brother. The Ravens losing Yanda is huge and that is the thing when talking about Defenses is how much time
they spend on the field. If they are tired, it just doesn't matter how good they are. We saw this the last few years even with
having some very good players. The Offense sputtered the Defense got tired and eventually just gave in.

With us adding Reader, Bell, Bynes, Waynes, Alexander, Wilson etc we will be much better at stopping the run and attacking
Lamar Jackson and the Ravens. We will be able to tackle unlike the guys we let go.

The coaching is the Wildcard in my opinion on both us and the Stains.

If Taylor and Lou become good coaches we should have a shot at going from the basement to the roof in one season.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 05:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Cult???

No its people proving you wrong about him with all your lame attempts to discredit him.

Yeah the cult following of Josh Bynes GTFO Fred. Hilarious

Thanks Mike. Wink
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2020, 06:31 PM)J24 Wrote: Our defense is going to shock the NFL world this season.
We improved our biggest weaknesses from last season with replacing Brown with Pratt. We continued to get better at the position with Wilson and ADG at LB. The D-Line is A+ and the secondary is a B+ which could turn into an A- .

We're still rolling with Mr 5th Choice at DC though. There seems to be a big assumption that just having a year under his belt is gonna lead to big improvement. I figured a head or 2 would roll following a 2 win season. I think Lou could've been one of them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 06:18 PM)jason Wrote: We're still rolling with Mr 5th Choice at DC though. There seems to be a big assumption that just having a year under his belt is gonna lead to big improvement. I figured a head or 2 would roll following a 2 win season. I think Lou could've been one of them.

I give Lou credit for the Defensive turnaround last season. People like to concentrate on weeks 2-10 and ignore weeks 1 +11- 17. The defense had two different types of play worst of all time and pretty decent.
A couple of stats about the last 7 games.
1.) From week 12- 17 the Bengals didn't have a game where an opposing QB completed over 60% of their passes. 4 of those Games QBs where held  51% or under Brady, The Steelers QBs, and both Mayfield games. 
2.) The defense had 6 sacks from week 2-10 compared to 21 sacks from week 11-17.
2-10 .75 sacks a game which for a 16 game pace would be 12 vs week 11-17 they had 3 sacks per game which for a 16 game pace  is 48 per a season.
3.) In week 10 against the Ravens the Defense gave up 35 points( there were 2 a defensive TDs in that game. The Ravens scored 49 points in the game). In weeks 11-13 the Bengals gave up 39 points total(13 per game).
4.) The defense actually was a top 5 Redzone defense last season. 

When you look at the whole season I would say the defense was unimpressive and that Lou could have been justifiably fired. Especially after the week 10 game against the Ravens when he probably should have been fired. 
However after that game the Defense changed and started to play good. Lou earned his job back and therefore I have high expectations for the Defense in 2020.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 06:18 PM)jason Wrote: We're still rolling with Mr 5th Choice at DC though. There seems to be a big assumption that just having a year under his belt is gonna lead to big improvement. I figured a head or 2 would roll following a 2 win season. I think Lou could've been one of them.

In all fairness, despite losing some key players, at least Lou's defense improved down the stretch last year.  In 2018, it just circled the drain. There was a lot of missing pieces last year and they found some potential starters off the bench in Phillips and Tupou.  Pratt showed he belonged, but this will undoubtedly be the year where Lou either proves his worth or is shown the door.  

I like Taylor a lot and think the offense will really take a huge leap.  It is fair to expect a similar improvement with all the FAs and draft picks that were added in the offseason.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 09:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: In all fairness, despite losing some key players, at least Lou's defense improved down the stretch last year.  In 2018, it just circled the drain. There was a lot of missing pieces last year and they found some potential starters off the bench in Phillips and Tupou.  Pratt showed he belonged, but this will undoubtedly be the year where Lou either proves his worth or is shown the door.  

I like Taylor a lot and think the offense will really take a huge leap.  It is fair to expect a similar improvement with all the FAs and draft picks that were added in the offseason.

Having players with the skill sets that fit what you are trying to accomplish, that you had a hand in the selection process in bringing them to the team, makes a big difference.  

I fully realize that I should know better by now, but I'm curiously optimistic for the defense this season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
No matter what both sides of the ball need to start playing complimentary football.
The offense needs to establish a,quick lead and actually manufacture some clock eating drives.
And the defense needs to create more turnovers and flip the field.
Hopefully we can see the offense and defense combine
To give the Bengals 7 points plus leads
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2020, 02:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah the cult following of Josh Bynes GTFO Fred. Hilarious

Fred mentions "cult following".

Several members of the cult rush to admonish Fred.

Not one member agrees that Bynes is a 31 year old career back up signed for league minimum.

POINT PROVEN.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Fred mentions "cult following".

Not one member agrees that Bynes is a 31 year old career back up signed for league minimum.

POINT PROVEN.

Nope, there is no cult following of Josh Bynes. He was a decent pick up with veteran experience, this is all.

You have hated Bynes from the get go and yeah, we don't.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having players with the skill sets that fit what you are trying to accomplish, that you had a hand in the selection process in bringing them to the team, makes a big difference.  

I fully realize that I should know better by now, but I'm curiously optimistic for the defense this season.

I know why we should all feel that way, but I feel like there is legitimate reasons to believe this team will be competitive and might even be a contender by year's end.   
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Fred mentions "cult following".

POINT PROVEN.

Fred goes third person, X does as well.  

X points out that Fred forgot "veteran" league minimum...which is 1.6 million.  X further elaborates that if he was a backup, why did he start for a defense ranked in the top 10 last year and was possibly their best LB?  

Point, counterpoint.  
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 10:02 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Having players with the skill sets that fit what you are trying to accomplish, that you had a hand in the selection process in bringing them to the team, makes a big difference.  

This is the first time I can remember us going all out in Free Agency for one side of the ball.

Proven Free Agents like Reader, Bell, Waynes, Alexander, Bynes all in one FA period? Never seen this.

Expecting a monster jump from the D this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope, there is no cult following of Josh Bynes. He was a decent pick up with veteran experience, this is all.

You have hated Bynes from the get go and yeah, we don't.

Yeah, a one year contract for a proven veteran that improved the Ravens defense when he returned isn't a bad thing when you consider Jordan Evans has more snaps than every other LB on our roster.  But hey, if that is the stuff cults are made of, hand me some kool aid and sign me up.  

Oh year, and he came from a division opponent.  I loved that. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 03:23 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Fred goes third person, X does as well.  

X points out that Fred forgot "veteran" league minimum...which is 1.6 million.  X further elaborates that if he was a backup, why did he start for a defense ranked in the top 10 last year and was possibly their best LB?  

Point, counterpoint.  

Yep, all anyone has said is Bynes is a decent experienced Linebacker that we needed to help the young guys.

No one is saying he is some great pick up that is going to blow up the league. 

There is just no point in hating the pick up like Fred obviously does. Ain't no damn cult for heck sake lol
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 03:26 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, a one year contract for a proven veteran that improved the Ravens defense when he returned isn't a bad thing when you consider Jordan Evans has more snaps than every other LB on our roster.  But hey, if that is the stuff cults are made of, hand me some kool aid and sign me up.  

Oh year, and he came from a division opponent.  I loved that. 

My favorite part of the pick up is hearing from Raven's fans sad that Bynes left.

This tells me a lot.
Reply/Quote
It's nice to get a FA that played at high level for a Super Bowl
Contending team. Bynes was simply more than
Pile jumper for the Ravens defense.
What Fred doesn't see is that the Ravens organization
Thought highly enough of Bynes to bring him
Back last year on a year one deal.
So while Bynes was making plays for the Ravens
Defense, Nick Vigil was getting played week in
Week out.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 03:20 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know why we should all feel that way, but I feel like there is legitimate reasons to believe this team will be competitive and might even be a contender by year's end.   

Yep, like many other fans, I went all in in 2015.  I just knew that team was special, yet the Bengals still found a way to break my heart..

(06-29-2020, 03:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is the first time I can remember us going all out in Free Agency for one side of the ball.

Proven Free Agents like Reader, Bell, Waynes, Alexander, Bynes all in one FA period? Never seen this.

Expecting a monster jump from the D this year.

That is the curious part, the front office going out of character like that.  Makes me think that they actually believe in Coach Lou, his plans on improvement, and his change in philosophy requiring the players with specific skill sets to get the job done.  Moreover, I think that they are all in on Coach Taylor, and want to give him and now Joe Burrow every opportunity to build a winner from this year going forward.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is the curious part, the front office going out of character like that.  Makes me think that they actually believe in Coach Lou, his plans on improvement, and his change in philosophy requiring the players with specific skill sets to get the job done.  Moreover, I think that they are all in on Coach Taylor, and want to give him and now Joe Burrow every opportunity to build a winner from this year going forward.

All hints are pointing that way and now that Taylor and Lou have their players we can actually judge the both of them.

Really hard to judge coaches in their first year with the previous coach's players.

That was Marv's team last year for the most part that Taylor and Lou had to work with.

With AJ, Jonah going down, Boling retiring etc...

It just made it even harder to judge.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2020, 05:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, like many other fans, I went all in in 2015.  I just knew that team was special, yet the Bengals still found a way to break my heart.

I was right there too. I knew if they got by the Stoolers, they were in control. When they lost I didnt say anything for 24 hrs. I slowly and quietly put all my Bengals shit away (everything that I didn't break) all the while doing a slow burn.

'16, '17, '18 and'19 were blurs. I'd watch parts of games, change the channel at halftime. I'd lurk on the boards, never saying anything.

This year is different! I feel rejuvenated, like I used too. I'm not going to post a won-loss record. I will say I feel very very optimistic...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote