Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ranking the coaches
Pollack takes a lot of heat, but it could be argued some positions were worse last season. Not sold o-line is the worst of the list, given the talent available...

How do you rank the coaches performances last year?

O-line
WR
TE
RB

D-line
LB
Secondary

Special teams
Reply/Quote
The more I hear the less inclined I am to knock Pollack. He has coached very athletic players prior to coming here and has been given shit. I fully understand that the coaches are involved in the drafting & free agency process, but I know for a fact he wasnt big on Carman and hear that may be true on others. Perhaps our poverty riddled 5-man personnel dept needs to listen to Pollack better? Assuming what I heard was true.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The more I hear the less inclined I am to knock Pollack.  He has coached very athletic players prior to coming here and has been given shit.  I fully understand that the coaches are involved in the drafting & free agency process, but I know for a fact he wasnt big on Carman and hear that may be true on others.  Perhaps our poverty riddled 5-man personnel dept needs to listen to Pollack better?  Assuming what I heard was true.

I'd have to go back and look but i'm sure their were much better OL options available at the times we selected both Carman and Volson.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 11:02 PM)pulses Wrote: I'd have to go back and look but i'm sure their were much better OL options available at the times we selected both Carman and Volson.

Sam Cosmi and Creed Humphrey were both still on the board when they took Carman.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 12:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sam Cosmi and Creed Humphrey were both still on the board when they took Carman.

That's crazy Shocked
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 11:02 PM)pulses Wrote: I'd have to go back and look but i'm sure their were much better OL options available at the times we selected both Carman and Volson.

A couple Olinemen I liked in the Carman draft who were selected after him were Spencer Brown and Tyler Smith. See how smart I am?

A couple Olinemen I like in the Volson draft who were selected after him were Dalton Kincaid and Jarmalee Salyer. See how dumb I am?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

This is true.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 12:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Sam Cosmi and Creed Humphrey were both still on the board when they took Carman.

....and I read somewhere that Frank wanted Creed, but Mike listened to Ketchup Paulie instead. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 08:53 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Pollack takes a lot of heat, but it could be argued some positions were worse last season. Not sold o-line is the worst of the list, given the talent available...

How do you rank the coaches performances last year?

O-line
WR
TE
RB

D-line
LB
Secondary

Special teams

I agree, the draft and development success rate for the DL is just about as bad as it has been for the OL in recent years.  3/4 of our DL starters the past several years have all been bought in free agency. The only drafted DL over about a 5-6 year time period to stick, has been Sam Hubbard.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 10:32 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree, the draft and development success rate for the DL is just about as bad as it has been for the OL in recent years.  3/4 of our DL starters the past several years have all been bought in free agency. The only drafted DL over about a 5-6 year time period to stick, has been Sam Hubbard.
2 FAs...Reader  Hendrickson...1 trade...BJ...1 draftee...Hubbard
.....what is the best DL in football right now?  Where did they get their players?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 11:05 AM)spazz70 Wrote: 2 FAs...Reader  Hendrickson...1 trade...BJ...1 draftee...Hubbard
.....what is the best DL in football right now?  Where did they get their players?

None of what you said takes away from my assertion that the DL coaches are struggling with "draft and development".  You want to split hairs on BJ Hill? That's fine, but he still wasn't drafted or UDFA signed by the Bengals.

I'm not saying that Free Agency is the devil, or anything close. I just think that it's an expensive way to maintain a roster when you've got a QB on a mega deal, and a WR about to be on one, along with a highly paid LT and DE.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2024, 10:27 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The more I hear the less inclined I am to knock Pollack.  He has coached very athletic players prior to coming here and has been given shit.

Pollack was hired on 3rd base in Dallas, he didn't hit a triple. When Pollack became the Cowboys OL Coach....
-Zack Martin was already a 1st Team All-Pro
-Travis Frederick was already a 2nd Team All-Pro
-Tyron Smith was already a 1st Team All-Pro
-Doug Free was already a good vet.

He inherited a future first ballot Hall of Famer, a guy who was on track to be a Hall of Famer if his career didn't get ended early due to medical issues (after Pollack left), and a borderline HoF candidate.... and a solidly above average vet. Give me that and I would look like a great OL coach too.

He wasn't good here in 2018, he wasn't good with the Jets after that, and he hasn't been good with us since coming back (and sure as hell our run game hasn't been good with him as run game coordinator).

He has been here for the drafting of "glass eaters" of Billy Price, Jackson Carman, D'Ante Smith, and Cordell Volson. Knock away.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 12:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pollack was hired on 3rd base in Dallas, he didn't hit a triple. When Pollack became the Cowboys OL Coach....

He inherited a future first ballot Hall of Famer, a guy who was on track to be a Hall of Famer if his career didn't get ended early due to medical issues (after Pollack left), and a borderline HoF candidate.... and a solidly above average vet. Give me that and I would look like a great OL coach too.

He wasn't good here in 2018, he wasn't good with the Jets after that, and he hasn't been good with us since coming back (and sure as hell our run game hasn't been good with him as run game coordinator).

He wasn't?

Mixon posted his best YPC, 8th in the league in team YPC that year and only 37 sacks given up, playing with mediocre to shitty OLineman, which was firmly in the top half of the league.

That isn't amazing, but it's more than good-enough.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Pollack is a bad offensive line coach. The offensive line consistently underachieves with him as their coach. At what point do people stop making excuses for the guy? Right now he has Trent Brown, Ted Karras and Alex Cappa. All three helped Brady win Super Bowl rings. You also have Orlando Brown Jr who helped Mahomes win a Super Bowl. While Cordell Volson rightfully gets talked about as being subpar, he is not a horrible LG. There is enough talent on this offensive line it should be top 10 this season. Pollack has no more excuses this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 12:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pollack was hired on 3rd base in Dallas, he didn't hit a triple. When Pollack became the Cowboys OL Coach....

He has been here for the drafting of "glass eaters" of Billy Price, Jackson Carman, D'Ante Smith, and Cordell Volson. Knock away.

(03-21-2024, 01:39 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Pollack is a bad offensive line coach. The offensive line consistently underachieves with him as their coach. At what point do people stop making excuses for the guy? Right now he has Trent Brown, Ted Karras and Alex Cappa. All three helped Brady win Super Bowl rings. You also have Orlando Brown Jr who helped Mahomes win a Super Bowl. While Cordell Volson rightfully gets talked about as being subpar, he is not a horrible LG. There is enough talent on this offensive line it should be top 10 this season. Pollack has no more excuses this year.

I have been as big of a Pollack critic as anyone here. Im just telling you that I heard that he hasnt had his stamp of approval on the guys drafted. The draft was the only point I intended to make. That said, he obviously hasnt coached any of them up.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have been as big of a Pollack critic as anyone here. Im just telling you that I heard that he hasnt had his stamp of approval on the guys drafted. The draft was the only point I intended to make. That said, he obviously hasnt coached any of them up.

Dante Scarneccia or god himself couldn’t have coached up most of that crew. I can’t think of one lineman that left here and become good somewhere else since pollack has been here.

So maybe they ought to start listening to him or hire someone who can coach what they’re bringing in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have been as big of a Pollack critic as anyone here.  Im just telling you that I heard that he hasnt had his stamp of approval on the guys drafted.  The draft was the only point I intended to make.  That said, he obviously hasnt coached any of them up.

That sure is weird. I would think the guy that coaches the OL should be able to pick his guy's for his scheme.

Not an excuse for not coaching them up though that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That sure is weird. I would think the guy that coaches the OL should be able to pick his guy's for his scheme.

Not an excuse for not coaching them up though that is for sure.

Sounds like maybe they should listen to their OL coach a little more and get somebody he wants and fits their scheme because Tobin sure isn't getting it done.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 04:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have been as big of a Pollack critic as anyone here.  Im just telling you that I heard that he hasnt had his stamp of approval on the guys drafted.  The draft was the only point I intended to make.  That said, he obviously hasnt coached any of them up.

Somehow I feel MB is lobbing calls to the Piano Man still for opinions on OL players to draft. Probably way off base here, yet strangely feel Alexander is still being consulted. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2024, 06:13 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Somehow I feel MB is lobbing calls to the Piano Man still for opinions on OL players to draft. Probably way off base here, yet strangely feel Alexander is still being consulted. 

Surely after Carman that has stopped.  At least I hope.... 

Reply/Quote