Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rankings 2019
Obviously as a 0-3 team we have many issues. One blowout loss and 2 close road losses on our resume with our 3rd away game tonight to start the year. However, keep in mind we have played thus far Defense #2, Defense #3 and Defense #8 so our offense has played the tough unit schedule thus far.

Which unit is our biggest issue and needs most attention for rest of 2019 and for the future?

Offense - Ranked 25th in Points Per Game and 18th in yards per game - Rushing yards PPG is biggest issue (Last at 41.7 YPG) and 3rd in Passing
Defense - Ranked 26th in Points Per Game and 27th in Yards Per game - Pass Defense is 3rd in YPG, but 32nd (Last) in Rushing Per game

To me it is obvious, no run game and can't stop the run equals we need major overhaul in the trenches. I look at other teams and see a lot of players who look like they live in the weight room, for us I don't see our TE's ripped with muscle and I see our DB's appear to be over matched when tackling anyone of size. Who is our strength coach?

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Obviously as a 0-3 team we have many issues. One blowout loss and 2 close road losses on our resume with our 3rd away game tonight to start the year. However, keep in mind we have played thus far Defense #2, Defense #3 and Defense #8 so our offense has played the tough unit schedule thus far.

Which unit is our biggest issue and needs most attention for rest of 2019 and for the future?

Offense - Ranked 25th in Points Per Game and 18th in yards per game - Rushing yards PPG is biggest issue (Last at 41.7 YPG) and 3rd in Passing
Defense - Ranked 26th in Points Per Game and 27th in Yards Per game -  Pass Defense is 3rd in YPG, but 32nd (Last) in Rushing Per game

To me it is obvious, no run game and can't stop the run equals we need major overhaul in the trenches. I look at other teams and see a lot of players who look like they live in the weight room, for us I don't see our TE's ripped with muscle and I see our DB's appear to be over matched when tackling anyone of size. Who is our strength coach?

Thoughts?

I agree about the running game and stopping the run.

On offense, it's the OL that still needs overhauling. Broken record there.

On defense, it's the LBers, not the DL. LBers just don't move well and miss too many tackles. Secondary players Shawn Williams, Jessie Bates and Dre Kirkpatrick are the #1, 2 and 3 tacklers on the team followed by Sam Hubbard.  http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=CIN

There also is a lack of sacks. Not sure what's up with that.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree about the running game and stopping the run.

On defense, it's the LBers, not the DL. LBers just don't move well and miss too many tackles. Secondary players Shawn Williams, Jessie Bates and Dre Kirkpatrick are the #1, 2 and 3 tacklers on the team followed by Sam Hubbard.  http://www.nfl.com/teams/statistics?team=CIN

The DL job is to keep blockers off of the LB's, no doubt our LB play is number one issue, but DL does not play the run well either. We have guys who can rush the passer on DL, but we lack guys that can hold the LOS to stop the run in my opinion.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The DL job is to keep blockers off of the LB's, no doubt our LB play is number one issue, but DL does not play the run well either. We have guys who can rush the passer on DL, but we lack guys that can hold the LOS the run in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that is though. I don't really watch the DL.

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:06 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I agree about the running game and stopping the run.

The missed tackles thing is really what gets me.
For years, Marvin's staff's MO has been to make tackles even if it means not getting TFLs, turnovers, etc.
Stuffing the run also was typically a priority for that staff and that fell off too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 01:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: The DL job is to keep blockers off of the LB's, no doubt our LB play is number one issue, but DL does not play the run well either. We have guys who can rush the passer on DL, but we lack guys that can hold the LOS the run in my opinion.

That's the sad part about our LB play is the Dline does do it's job but the LB are know where near the play.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

The lack of sacks is do to the fact that neither SF or Seattle threw the ball that much. In Buffalo we were getting pressure but they were not finishing.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 12:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Obviously as a 0-3 team we have many issues. One blowout loss and 2 close road losses on our resume with our 3rd away game tonight to start the year. However, keep in mind we have played thus far Defense #2, Defense #3 and Defense #8 so our offense has played the tough unit schedule thus far.

Defense - Ranked 26th in Points Per Game and 27th in Yards Per game - Pass Defense is 3rd in YPG, but 32nd (Last) in Rushing Per game

Thoughts?

Fixing the dumpster fire of an o-line would mask some of the issues on defense by keeping the d off the field. Mike/Katie/Troy’s insistence on dumpster diving and Mike/Duke’s terrible drafting has resulted in arguably the league’s worst unit. The draft next year better be heavy on the o-line and linebackers, but we said that last year and were treated to a backup TE, a two backup RB’s, and only one decent LB.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2019, 03:55 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Fixing the dumpster fire of an o-line would mask some of the issues on defense by keeping the d off the field.  Mike/Katie/Troy’s insistence on dumpster diving and Mike/Duke’s terrible drafting has resulted in arguably the league’s worst unit.  The draft next year better be heavy on the o-line and linebackers, but we said that last year and were treated to a backup TE, a two backup RB’s, and only one decent LB.

I get time of possession due to no running game would help. But our defense appears to be the much bigger problem when you factor in we have played 3 top 10 defenses thus far. Yes, having our 1st round pick may have helped and our starting LT as well, but overall knowing all of that, it is our defense to me that seems to be the glaring weakness if we were to pick 1.

Reply/Quote

Defense - Ranked 26th in Points Per Game and 27th in Yards Per game -  Pass Defense is 3rd in YPG, but 32nd (Last) in Rushing Per game

Thoughts?

It's a good thing the AFC North doesn't have any good runners....oh wait.
Chubb, Conner, Ingram, and Jackson all good runners.

Preston Brown was very good against the run when he was in BUF.
The best run defending LB aside from him might be Pratt.
They should go with this combo moving forward.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I was encouraged by how we stopped the run in seattle; yet, we gave up 3 huge passing plays at inopportune times. Against Seattle and the Bills we gave up touchdowns with the game on the line (crunch time). Have to be able to close out games. Obviously the last two games our run defense fell off a cliff. Our pass defense has been good; but... again, we give up big pass plays when the game is on the line. Need to work on our run defense and being more clutch on defense.

On offense we obviously need to get better along the offensive line. Giving up too much pressure when in pass protection; getting no movement in the run game. Need to coach up the offensive line, and add more talent in the draft next year.

I feel like a broken record, but the issues with this team are so blatantly obvious. Fix the offensive line and linebackers and we have a pretty good team.
Reply/Quote