Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapien says we should consider Bijan Robinson
Just watched a new vid with James Rapien and he said if Bijan Robinson fell to 28, he would be on board with taking him. This
hasn't been on my mind at all honestly, so it caught me by surprise. Bijan is a great pass protector and an overall great RB, so I
honestly couldn't dismiss this take. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I would love for them to select him if he's the BPA on their board.

IMO he's the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 03:00 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I would love for them to select him if he's the BPA on their board.

Doesn't really compare to AP because he is a better pass protector and much better pass catcher out of the backfield but as far as 
a runner, yeah. Damn good RB. Pass protection is essential and the main reason this just wasn't an automatic no for me. 

Rapien said draft players, not positions, hard to argue with that.

Still wanting Darnell Wright RT the most right now but am a bit open to this thought which was never on my mind.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 03:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Doesn't really compare to AP because he is a better pass protector and much better pass catcher out of the backfield but as far as 
a runner, yeah. Damn good RB. Pass protection is essential and the main reason this just wasn't an automatic no for me. 

Rapien said draft players, not positions, hard to argue with that.

Still wanting Darnell Wright RT the most right now but am a bit open to this thought which was never on my mind.

Yeah, he was never on my mind either, but if the Bengals position themselves properly before the draft and are able to go BPA he would be intriguing.

If he's neck and neck on the Bengals board with a more valued position I think you would have to pass on him, but if he's head and shoulders the top guy left on their board, then they should scoop him up. 

They would still be able to address OL, TE, and CB, and WR later in the draft
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just watched a new vid with James Rapien and he said if Bijan Robinson fell to 28, he would be on board with taking him. This
hasn't been on my mind at all honestly, so it caught me by surprise. Bijan is a great pass protector and an overall great RB, so I

We should consider ANY of the top guys (top 20) who fall to 28, save for QBs. 

If I had to rate it: 

1. Round 1 guy at high value position (OT, DE, CB, WR, DT).
2. Round 1 guy at position of need (TE + S? & LB?)
3. Round 1 guy at any position (RB, G, C, NT). 

Once you get beyond the real actual studs, I tend to lean towards need more if the quality of the players in question is roughly equal. 

4. Late 1st/2nd plug & play starter or starter upgrade
5. Late 1st/2nd: immediate depth and project starter
6. Late 1st/2nd at position with future issues (cap, $$, FA) 
------------ 

For me, that would be: 
1. Round 1 guys at high value position (OT, DE, CB, WR, DT, no QB) 
----A. OT: Skoronski, Johnson, Jones 
----B. DE: Anderson, Wilson, Murphy 
----C. CB: Witherspoon, Porter Jr, Gonzalez 
----D. WR: Johnson, Smith-Njigba, Addison 
----E. DT: Carter (zero chance still there)

2. Round 1 guys at position of need (TE, maybe S & LB)
----A. TE: Mayer 
----B. S (if Bell leaves): Branch 
----C. LB (if Pratt keaves): None 

3. Round 1 guys at other positions (RB, OG  OC, NT) 
----A. RB: Robinson 
----B. G: None 
----C: C: None 
----D: NT: None

4. Round 1/2 guys: plug & play starter, starter upgrade). 
----A. TE (Hurst leaves): Kincaid, Washington, Musgrave 
----B. CB (Apple leaves, Chido iffy): Smith, Phillips, Forbes, Ringo  
----C. S (Bell leaves): Johnson 
----D. LB (Pratt leaves): Sanders, Simpson 
----E. OG: Torrence (Volson uograde, but moving to LG from RG) 

That is 27 guys, with no QBs. Depending on how FA goes, we may not need immediate help in those areas. Even so, I might look at some guys listed above anyway. If we don't need immediate help (or have high confidence in a backup (ADG), I coukd see passing on above guys and taking depth/future starter types. 

5. Round 1/2 guys: immediate depth, project/future starter
----A.  OT: Harrison (Wright, Mauch & Jones are reaches)
----B.  WR: Flowers, Hyatt
----C.  DE: Van Ness, Foskey, White
----D.  C: Schmitz (move Karras to LG). 
----E. NT/DT: Ika, Breese

6. Round 1/2 guys at position with furure issues
----A.  RB: Gibbs (Mixon gone this year or next, cap space save)

If we don't like any of those options left on the table, trade down and take a RT prospect, Kancey, or Tuilupotu. 
Reply/Quote
He's universally considered a top 5 talent, so if he's there at 28 it would be dumb not to consider taking him.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 04:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He's universally considered a top 5 talent, so if he's there at 28 it would be dumb not to consider taking him.

Bijan is the best offensive prospect in the entire draft class. Jordan Addison is the only one that can make an argument against and its only marginal. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 02:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just watched a new vid with James Rapien and he said if Bijan Robinson fell to 28, he would be on board with taking him. This

We generally go BPA....  (unless a need trumps it)   but if he fell to us im okay with it.
Reply/Quote

If they can address the o-line in free agency, then it would be insane not to seriously consider Robinson if he fell into your lap at 28. You would be getting the best RB prospect in years and a top 5 overall talent in this draft. Would just be too good to pass up, IMO. 
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 03:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We should consider ANY of the top guys (top 20) who fall to 28, save for QBs. 

If I had to rate it: 

Once you get beyond the real actual studs, I tend to lean towards need more if the quality of the players in question is roughly equal. 

------------ 

For me, that would be: 

That is 27 guys, with no QBs. Depending on how FA goes, we may not need immediate help in those areas. Even so, I might look at some guys listed above anyway. If we don't need immediate help (or have high confidence in a backup (ADG), I coukd see passing on above guys and taking depth/future starter types. 

If we don't like any of those options left on the table, trade down and take a RT prospect, Kancey, or Tuilupotu. 

Well done, a lot of thought went into this post. Cool

(02-24-2023, 04:00 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: He's universally considered a top 5 talent, so if he's there at 28 it would be dumb not to consider taking him.

Yeah, it was just the first time I even heard him mentioned this Offseason, especially going to our team. 

Damn fine player. I have considered Bijan's backup in the mid rounds who is also good in pass protection.

(02-24-2023, 04:41 PM)Synric Wrote: Bijan is the best offensive prospect in the entire draft class. Jordan Addison is the only one that can make an argument against and its only marginal. 

Really like Addison as well and might be insurance in case Tee and Boyd leave after this season.

(02-24-2023, 04:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We generally go BPA....  (unless a need trumps it)   but if he fell to us im okay with it.

Bottom line, if we can free up cap space by cutting Mixon while adding an OT in FA and a RB this talented it could be our greatest
move in the Offseason. The running game is our main weakness on Offense.
Reply/Quote
Think they should do the opposite of last year and fix the defense in FA and give the lions share of the draft picks to the offense.

Would want the offense to focus on O-line, TE, RB, and maybe another WR and don't care what order they select them. So if Bijan fell I would be ecstatic to add him.

He would be the only RB I would consider in the 1st round tough.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 08:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think they should do the opposite of last year and fix the defense in FA and give the lions share of the draft picks to the offense.

Would want the offense to focus on O-line, TE, RB, and maybe another WR and don't care what order they select them. So if Bijan fell I would be ecstatic to add him.

He would be the only RB I would consider in the 1st round though.

I could see that, I just find it essential to add a proven vet at OT before the draft.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 03:00 PM)BengalBob Wrote: I would love for them to select him if he's the BPA on their board.

I know they are saying the aren't going to be very active in free agency. But I hope we add another OL in free agency. I think if we do that than we can be open to BPA at our pick just in case someone unexpected drops to 28. Otherwise I think we should be only thinking about OL at 28.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 03:59 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We should consider ANY of the top guys (top 20) who fall to 28, save for QBs. 

If I had to rate it: 

------------ 
Robinson is a stud, but Gibbs isn't a bad door prize either. I think either could be successful in the offense.  
For me, that would be: 

Robinson is a stud, but Gibbs isn't a bad door prize. I believe that either one can be successful in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2023, 08:50 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think they should do the opposite of last year and fix the defense in FA and give the lions share of the draft picks to the offense.

He would be the only RB I would consider in the 1st round tough.

The defense does not need fixing. Though after FA, there could be some holes/minor maintenance. 
Reply/Quote
If he’s that special he won’t be there
Reply/Quote
I've heard that on tomorrow's show Rapien is going to say we should consider Jalen Carter if he falls to 28.

Paul's nephew won't be there at 28 unless there's a video of him smoking pot with a gas mask released on Draft Day
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2023, 10:16 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: If he’s that special he won’t be there

Could say the same thing about Tee Higgins back in the day...
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2023, 05:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could say the same thing about Tee Higgins back in the day...

Tee tested bad in the 40. Teams drafting late in 1 like the Bills who were in need of a receiver passed on him because of that.

Assuming Bijan Robinson tests well, he’s probably a top 15 pick even at RB
Reply/Quote
He should be able to help the run game so I’d be all for it. That’s what Burrow needs more than good protection, a good run game to fall back on
Reply/Quote