Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Rational perspective on Finley's first start
(11-11-2019, 08:04 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: He did some good things. We need to let him loose and let him go downfield more. He got his first start out of the way now let's see what he does next week.

Going down field isn't what Ryan Finley does...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 09:46 AM)jason Wrote: Going down field isn't what Ryan Finley does...

...and that’s okay. My issue is when coaches try to make a player into something he’s not instead of working with the skills he has. If Cincinnati had drafted Lamar Jackson, for example, he wouldn’t be the player he is today. The offensive coaches would have forced Lamar into being an Andy Dalton pocket passer clone and Lamar would havre looked like a bust. Greg Roman, the Ravens’ offensive coordinator, saw what Lamar could do and completely retooled the offense around him. It only took two years to go from an offense run by pocket passer Joe Flacco to a hybrid RPO offense run by Lamar Jackson. Denver did the same thing, retooling their offense around Tim Tebow’s skills in 2011.

So what about Ryan Finley? Other than being hard to bring down in the pocket, what does he do well? He throws medium length passes very effectively, mostly inside the numbers. His ball placement on out routes needs work — as we saw when Marcus Peters made the pick — but that’s a rookie issue AJ McCarron had too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I will wait judgement until a couple of games in.

As others have said though he did step out of a couple of sacks that Andy would have taken, that was the one glaring difference between Andy and RF.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Hasn't this same thread been started for every QB that was a back up to Andy Dalton? No ninja smiley because it's true.

My honest opinion of Ryan Finley is that I think he could be a good QB. I think he could be an NFL starter. I just don't think Cincinnati is the place for it to happen. He's not being set up for success. So many wanted him to start to "see what we have" but are already talking about Burrow in the draft. Unless he absolutely lights it up the last 7 games, he's not going to win the starting job here. The Family will draft a QB and Finley will go back to being the back up.

Though most didn't agree with me, that's why I wanted Dalton to finish the year. It wasn't to stifle Finley or prevent him from getting a shot. It was to let Dalton take the beating and (hopefully) get traded in the offseason. Then try to fill as many holes as possible and let Finley take over next year with a better chance at success. I truly believe Finley could be the guy. With all of the deficiencies on this team, I just don't think he's going to be able to truly show what he's capable of doing.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:55 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: You are spot on. I often think what would be if Bill Walsh wasn't kicked the curb by the Bengals. Walsh as HC and Wyche as OC in the same program? I can only imagine it in my dreams. If only I owned a time machine.

Man.... wouldn't that have been something?!?!  Walsh knew Sammy was a talented coach.... that's why he took him to SF as QB coach.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 09:21 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: .... He's a noodle arm who hasn't the faintest of chances of being a winning starting QB in this league.  

You simply do NOT even make it to the NFL with a "noodle arm."
Look, he may not have extraordinary arm strength, but... not everyone can, that's what makes it extraordinary.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not much different from Tom Brady's first start

Brady  13-23, 168 yds, 0 td, 0 int, 79.6 rating
Finley  16-30, 167 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 66.9 rating

Just saying'.

I'll bet there were not many Patriot fans predicting 3 MVPs, and 6 rings for Tom after that first start.

True, but we all know Brady is an abnormality. 

Did he also have a pick 6 and give up fumble returned for a TD?

I want them to play Finley now as likely Dalton will demand trade so we need a QB. I hope he progresses starting against a lousy pass defense this week should help.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:28 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Brady was, and is, a "system" quarterback. New England could have had Snoopy at QB and still achieved some success. The same goes for programs like Pittsburgh (Big Ben) and San Fran (Montana). It is not about the quality of the field general but the quality of the system built to plug in any type of QB for success. Certainly, these guys are well above average but still replaceable drill bits (to coin a Trumpy phrase).

That being said, the Bengals have never had, and probably never will, a program that elevates the QB. They could draft the reincarnation of Johnny Unitas and still be the NFL's worst team.

Brady is not a system QB. Dude is a legend. Finley is trash just like the head coach
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 09:46 AM)jason Wrote: Going down field isn't what Ryan Finley does...

Unleash the Diet Dalton!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 10:41 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Hasn't this same thread been started for every QB that was a back up to Andy Dalton? No ninja smiley because it's true.

My honest opinion of Ryan Finley is that I think he could be a good QB. I think he could be an NFL starter. I just don't think Cincinnati is the place for it to happen. He's not being set up for success. So many wanted him to start to "see what we have" but are already talking about Burrow in the draft. Unless he absolutely lights it up the last 7 games, he's not going to win the starting job here. The Family will draft a QB and Finley will go back to being the back up.

Though most didn't agree with me, that's why I wanted Dalton to finish the year. It wasn't to stifle Finley or prevent him from getting a shot. It was to let Dalton take the beating and (hopefully) get traded in the offseason. Then try to fill as many holes as possible and let Finley take over next year with a better chance at success. I truly believe Finley could be the guy. With all of the deficiencies on this team, I just don't think he's going to be able to truly show what he's capable of doing.

Finley doesn't have the arm strength to be a good starter. He's very good on short throws. Bad beyond 15 yards.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 10:42 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Unleash the Diet Dalton!

I believe the scouting report read "Dalton Lite".

Push the ball down the field!!! Will the team to victory on your shoulders!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 10:32 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Ah, when Brady got his first start, his team went 11-3 with him as the starting QB, they won the Super Bowl and Tom Brady made the Pro Bowl.

Somehow I just don't see that coming from Finley. Maybe I'm missing something.

IF.. big IF.. the coach is smart and goes with short quick passes, FINLEY will succeed. IF the Bengals tried to play 80s football and go deep, long plays then its another failed QB.
Reply/Quote
Great post, Fred. I'd also add that Bill Belichick once lost 9 games in a season, just like Zac Taylor has.

Also, Kraft is old like Mike Brown, and our stadium is in the United States, just like the Patriots.

[Image: mememe_94a950fda203eb9a730db4bcd05ee3f1-1.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 02:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Great post, Fred. I'd also add that Bill Belichick once lost 9 games in a season, just like Zac Taylor has.

Also, Kraft is old like Mike Brown, and our stadium is in the United States, just like the Patriots.

Tom Brady won championships with Dillion and burkhead. 14 years apart.

Im assuming Finley will win one with James white/Sony Michel in the next 2-3 years and another former patriot rb in 2035(ish) with a kid currently playing pop warner.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 08:39 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Good grief..

[Image: De_uU5FWAAA8p1D.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I am drinking what you are selling, we got the future Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 02:03 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Great post, Fred. I'd also add that Bill Belichick once lost 9 games in a season, just like Zac Taylor has.

Maybe Finley will be BETTER than Brady. We're selling him short!
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2019, 10:31 AM)corpjet Wrote: I will wait judgement until a couple of games in.

As others have said though he did step out of a couple of sacks that Andy would have taken, that was the one glaring difference between Andy and RF.

Really? Because I saw Finley step up in the pocket several times during the preseason, but not once (or anything memorable) in this game. I saw him move left and right several times (the same direction as Andy does mostly), only Ryan is a little faster.

I had a tempered impression of Ryan from preseason play, but I think I’ve seen enough to know he’s not the answer but boy do I hope I’m wrong, as it would open the draft up if he panned out.

I hope they give that other kid a chance the last 3ish games if Finley proves insufficient.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2019, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not much different from Tom Brady's first start

Brady  13-23, 168 yds, 0 td, 0 int, 79.6 rating
Finley  16-30, 167 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 66.9 rating

Just saying'.

I'll bet there were not many Patriot fans predicting 3 MVPs, and 6 rings for Tom after that first start.

I can't even...

[Image: giphy.gif]

I thought he was OK, minus the pick 6 and the fumble that resulted in another TD. He was able to avoid some sacks that Dalton would have been swallowed up on.

We'll see by the end.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 08:07 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Really? Because I saw Finley step up in the pocket several times during the preseason, but not once (or anything memorable) in this game. I saw him move left and right several times (the same direction as Andy does mostly), only Ryan is a little faster.

There’s a huge difference between playing the Redskins’ third string scrubs and playing the first team defense of the Baltimore Ravens. Tom Brady couldn’t even crack the Ravens’ defense.
Reply/Quote