Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rationale for the Sample Pick
this pick was horrible sample isnt worth a second round pick 100 times over again we didnt address other positions like we should have hence the 0-7 start and anyone who even attempts to waste my time or theres telling me otherwise with some bs about potential and what he could be eventually can swallow knives
Reply/Quote
I agree, it is too early to judge. The entire team has been in disarray for at least two years now. Something fundamentally changed within the organization after the 2015 season or even before that - the FA issues were a result of this change. Methinks it has to do with Zimmer and Gruden leaving in 2013. The team they built only started to become undone two years later but sometimes good coaches build systems that last longer than they do.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 04:11 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: I agree, it is too early to judge. The entire team has been in disarray for at least two years now. Something fundamentally changed within the organization after the 2015 season or even before that - the FA issues were a result of this change. Methinks it has to do with Zimmer and Gruden leaving in 2013. The team they built only started to become undone two years later but sometimes good coaches build systems that last longer than they do.

Supposedly, after Whitworth left and the Bengals drafted Ross...supposedly Marvin supposedly checked out on personnel moves. It's all speculation, but we seem to have gotten much worse recently.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 01:15 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't think a single person supported the pick in that they would have made it themselves. Rather, many people supported the pick with the subtext of "if this guy is someone Zac will use to maximize his talents and fit his scheme, we can get behind the selection of player that we were personally surprised to see be drafted so early, based on other scouting websites."

Of course, those people have had their confidence in Zac shaken by the complete and utter failure that has been the first 8 weeks of the season.

So you won't see people supporting this pick very often anymore.

Not because they changed their minds on the player, but rather they changed their minds on the coaches.

The coaches are to blame here, not the player or the fans who initially had faith in their new head coach.

Think this nails it. Wanted Sample in the mid rounds but was surprised with him in the 2nd.

Still think he could be a well rounded TE if used correctly. Unfortunately as with lots of players they are not used right here.
Reply/Quote
In the NBA, bad management can luck into the Top pick and a generational star.

In the NFL, with 22 players on offense and defense combined...it's much harder to luck into a good team.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 04:11 PM)willieFANderson Wrote: I agree, it is too early to judge. The entire team has been in disarray for at least two years now. Something fundamentally changed within the organization after the 2015 season or even before that - the FA issues were a result of this change. Methinks it has to do with Zimmer and Gruden leaving in 2013. The team they built only started to become undone two years later but sometimes good coaches build systems that last longer than they do.

Whit leaving hurt us big time...
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Think this nails it. Wanted Sample in the mid rounds but was surprised with him in the 2nd.

Still think he could be a well rounded TE if used correctly. Unfortunately as with lots of players they are not used right here.

The whole contention though by the scout in the 1st thread that they didn't want a big play TE who could stretch the defense for 2-3 big plays a game...IF they had to take him out in blocking situations is laughable.

As they play the TE's situationally now.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 04:07 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: this pick was horrible sample isnt worth a second round pick 100 times over again we didnt address other positions like we should have hence the 0-7 start and anyone who even attempts to waste my time or theres telling me otherwise with some bs about potential and what he could be eventually can swallow knives

Actually 0-8... Sorry to waste your time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Which 2019 NFL Cincinnati Bengal draft pick has been more productive than Sample?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Which 2019 NFL Cincinnati Bengal draft pick has been more productive than Sample?

crickets .. If Williams doesnt pan out, this could be one of the worst drafts in Bengal history, which is saying something.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 09:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Which 2019 NFL Cincinnati Bengal draft pick has been more productive than Sample?

The ones that play have all been terrible.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The ones that play have all been terrible.

We keep bouncing back and forth between the coaches wrecking our talent and our talentless roster ruining the coaches...what are we on now?  
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We keep bouncing back and forth between the coaches wrecking our talent and our talentless roster ruining the coaches...what are we on now?  

Honestly...I tend to lean more towards the staff being terrible. We're seeing veterans like regress and promising young guys like Bates look lost.

But, when you have as limited a scouting staff as we do...the picks aren't great by any means.

You see a guy like Ced that's a bust here go to Jax and be atleast serviceable.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 04:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The whole contention though by the scout in the 1st thread that they didn't want a big play TE who could stretch the defense for 2-3 big plays a game...IF they had to take him out in blocking situations is laughable.

As they play the TE's situationally now.

You always want a TE that can do BOTH. Hence the Chase Coffman's of the world wash out of the NFL...
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly...I tend to lean more towards the staff being terrible. We're seeing veterans like regress and promising young guys like Bates look lost.

But, when you have as limited a scouting staff as we do...the picks aren't great by any means.

You see a guy like Ced that's a bust here go to Jax and be atleast serviceable.

Agree with you here. Hard to argue with any of this.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You see a guy like Ced that's a bust here go to Jax and be atleast serviceable.

He has not started a single game.  He did not play at all in the first two games, and other than the Bengal game he has played 67 snaps in 5 games.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has not started a single game.  He did not play at all in the first two games, and other than the Bengal game he has played 67 snaps in 5 games.

Well I guess that is a good argument but I never thought Og would even make it as a backup.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well I guess that is a good argument but I never thought Og would even make it as a backup.

Agreed. It's limited snaps...but he's atleast decent.

Many thought he'd be out of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 01:44 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Agreed. It's limited snaps...but he's atleast decent.

Many thought he'd be out of the NFL.

I know I thought so...
Reply/Quote

The only time this team had any mild success was when there was a combination of reasonably good coaches and they actually hit a couple of drafts in a row. But they have failed on drafts for 5 plus years now and the coaches blow chunks. This is far more the norm over the Mikey timeline than the small period of average success. 

For a time, we actually had some really good coordinators and position coaches. Not so now. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote