Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ravens Interested In Colin Kaepernick
To me, its all quite simple...

On one hand, he did nothing illegal, he didn't desecrate the flag or anything, broke no laws or team rules. We have brave soldiers fighting every day so that CK could exercise the right to do exactly what he did. I disagree with his methods, but again, he broke no law or rule.

On the other hand.  He bit the hand that fed him. He took advantage of the inherent exposure that was afforded him by playing for the 49ers, and the NFL, to stage a personal protest that put all parties in a bad light. Stupid move in my opinion. You undermine your employers, you pay the consequences.

The funny thing is, the protest itself overshadowed the issue he was protesting. Thanks to ESPN, NFL Network, etc, most fans know that during the National Anthem he kneeled instead of stood, but many of those same fans couldn't tell you why.  So, was it worth it?
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2017, 09:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have never understood how this could be political In any way. He just want good enough and drew too much attention. Same reason Tebow isn't on an NFL roster.

I see your point, but Kaepernick is much better than Tebow. Hell he's probably better than Flacco.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2017, 07:28 PM)jason Wrote: I see your point, but Kaepernick is much better than Tebow. Hell he's probably better than Flacco.

My point was that he is a higher end backup. Not sure he is better than flacco but I will agree that flacco just isn't that good. Tebow would have been a great backup for someone had there just not been the media following.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 11:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My point was that he is a higher end backup.  Not sure he is better than flacco but I will agree that flacco just isn't that good. Tebow would have been a great backup for someone had there just not been the media following.

Flacco is decent in the playoffs, but pretty meh overall. 

The Ravens have nothing to lose if they signing a one year deal for Kaepernick (who last time either of them were on the field was better than Flacco), see how the season goes and give Unibrow time to recover. If they don't want to keep Kaepernick long-term, let Flacco come back in the playoffs and make it his team again, or — if they don't make the playoffs — part ways at the end of the season and say they're rebuilding around Flacco.  

Worst case scenario, Kaepernick does outstandingly well and they feel like they have to keep him at the end of the season, which isn't really a bad situation to be in except for Flaco's ridiculous contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a totally different take on Kaepernick than most. When he was in the draft, I wanted the Bengals to nab him. Big arm, athletic, ability to run similar to Newton. But, as it turns out; Dalton was and is the better choice. I personally never believed he took a knee to further any "cause, " he brought the spotlight on himself to keep his arse from getting canned last year. It worked, too; sold a ton of uniforms and kept him on the team, but it was a temporary fix; and as with Tebow, it has came down to the ability to fit into a system and be the QB any team would want. The temporary fix bought him a year, but now it's backfired, nobody wants him, and the Ravens may even need him but can't afford any real QB largely because of overpaying Flacco. Any sport, any business, not only wants you to be the best at your job; but they all pretty much want you to be all about the team while doing it. Do I think he still has the ability to lead a team and maybe even be an above average QB? Maybe he does, but he put himself in the position he's in now; and I don't feel sorry for him. I don't think any team "owes" him an opportunity to show his skills. I still think Terrell Owens could have helped a few teams, but nobody wanted him either; and he too brought it on himself. Owens brought it on himself as well, albeit a different kind of reason for teams not wanting to deal with him. The NFL is a workplace, and like any workplace; you're better keeping politics and religion out of it; express your political views outside of work in the appropriate places.
Reply/Quote
(08-01-2017, 11:48 AM)Benton Wrote: Flacco is decent in the playoffs, but pretty meh overall. 

The Ravens have nothing to lose if they signing a one year deal for Kaepernick (who last time either of them were on the field was better than Flacco), see how the season goes and give Unibrow time to recover. If they don't want to keep Kaepernick long-term, let Flacco come back in the playoffs and make it his team again, or — if they don't make the playoffs — part ways at the end of the season and say they're rebuilding around Flacco.  

Worst case scenario, Kaepernick does outstandingly well and they feel like they have to keep him at the end of the season, which isn't really a bad situation to be in except for Flaco's ridiculous contract.

That's fair.

Ravens please sign this guy.
Reply/Quote
So, for giggles, is CK really that much worse than Flacco or Dalton?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Joe+Flacco&player_id1_select=Joe+Flacco&player_id1=FlacJo00&player_id2_select=Colin+Kaepernick&player_id2=KaepCo00&idx=players&player_id3_hint=andy+Dalton&player_id3_select=Andy+Dalton&player_id3=DaltAn00&idx=players

[Image: compare3.jpg]

Given that CK over the last season or so was the odd man out due to coaching/management changes (and Dalton plays for the Bengals  Smirk ) are any of them really that far apart that Kaepernick should be considered unhireable simply because of his stats/play?
[Image: giphy.gif]
I will be taking no further questions at this time.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 11:52 AM)GMDino Wrote: So, for giggles, is CK really that much worse than Flacco or Dalton?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Joe+Flacco&player_id1_select=Joe+Flacco&player_id1=FlacJo00&player_id2_select=Colin+Kaepernick&player_id2=KaepCo00&idx=players&player_id3_hint=andy+Dalton&player_id3_select=Andy+Dalton&player_id3=DaltAn00&idx=players

[Image: compare3.jpg]

Given that CK over the last season or so was the odd man out due to coaching/management changes (and Dalton plays for the Bengals  Smirk ) are any of them really that far apart that Kaepernick should be considered unhireable simply because of his stats/play?

Kaep is one of the league most inaccurate passers. He lacks the touch on the short to intermediate passes. His limitations severely limited chip Kelly's play calling last year.

As for his "hayday" ..... they basically beat teams with defense and a gadget running game. NFL defenses have caught up with the zone read and now he is exposed for his inaccurate short to intermediate passing.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2017, 08:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Kaep is one of the league most inaccurate passers. He lacks the touch on the short to intermediate passes.   His limitations severely limited chip Kelly's play calling last year.    

As for his "hayday" .....  they basically beat teams with defense and a gadget running game.   NFL defenses have caught up with the zone read and now he is exposed for his inaccurate short to intermediate passing.

Quote:I wonder if Kaepernick is better than this guy?

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/08/07/jets-qb-christian-hackenberg-kicked-out-of-practice-for-not-knowing-how-to-break-a-huddle-correctly/

This may be the most embarrassing thing someone has done in Jets uniform since Mark Sanchez’s infamous butt fumble.

The New York Jets aren’t expected to contend for anything this year except a top-3 draft pick in next years NFL draft, but they need to at least seem like they want to be competitive and know what they are doing.

The team currently has a who’s who at the quarterback position and Christian Hackenberg displayed that on Monday when he got himself kicked out of practice by the coaching staff because he couldn’t figure out how to break a huddle correctly. Seriously.

View image on Twitter
[Image: DGonOuqXsAEXVnD.jpg:small]

Quote:[/url]

Follow
[Image: 2LVzLoaK_normal.jpg]Drew Magary 

@drewmagary
Jets story or the JETSIEST story (h/t @samschube)
10:47 AM - Aug 7, 2017

Twitter Ads info and privacy

At this point, no one would blame a single Jets fan if they refused to show up to the any games this year. We understand.
Reply/Quote

The jets qb in 2018 won't be anyone on the current roster. And given they have two fairly young QB's that they need to see what they can do.

Honestly the whole AFCE outside of NE should be doing what the jets are doing and going for the QB's coming out next year.

The only QB in the division since Brady has been the starter with any real level of competition is Chad Pennington. The whole division needs to get a qb.... the pats have had an easy ride.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 06:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The jets qb in 2018 won't be anyone on the current roster.    And given they have two fairly young QB's that they need to see what they can do.    

Honestly the whole AFCE outside of NE should be doing what the jets are doing and going for the QB's coming out next year.  

The only QB in the division since Brady has been the starter with any real level of competition is Chad Pennington.   The whole division needs to get a qb....  the pats have had an easy ride.

So why not get one with experience?

Edit: The more I think about it it just make more sense to have a QB with some experience while you get the young QB's up to speed. Throwing them to the wolves will just lead to more losses and another change of coaching and then more time getting use to a newer system.

Let Kaepernick (for example) take the bumps and let the kids learn.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 07:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: So why not get one with experience?

Edit: The more I think about it it just make more sense to have a QB with some experience while you get the young QB's up to speed. Throwing them to the wolves will just lead to more losses and another change of coaching and then more time getting use to a newer system.

Let Kaepernick (for example) take the bumps and let the kids learn.

More losses gets them a better chance at the qb they prefer.

Besides kaep isn't that good
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2017, 08:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: More losses gets them a better chance at the qb they prefer.

Besides kaep isn't that good

So tank just to get a higher draft pick?  Seems like an iffy proposition given how rare a true quality pick comes in the top five or so.

And CK is still better than what they have.  Better than what a lot of teams have.  No matter if people want to ignore the stats or not.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: So tank just to get a higher draft pick?  Seems like an iffy proposition given how rare a true quality pick comes in the top five or so.

And CK is still better than what they have.  Better than what a lot of teams have.  No matter if people want to ignore the stats or not.

The colts tanked for luck.

It's not like it hasn't been done before.... the jets at least can say they are letting petty and hackenburg give it a go. And with how bad their offense will be this year, signing with the jets would end kaepernicks career anyway.

This is just another example of an average player doing things only tolerated by a superstar. And as I I've said ..... no one wants their qb worrying about anything other than Football.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The colts tanked for luck.

It's not like it hasn't been done before....  the jets at least can say they are letting petty and hackenburg give it a go.   And with how bad their offense will be this year, signing with the jets would end kaepernicks career anyway.    

This is just another example of an average player doing things only tolerated by a superstar.     And as I I've said ..... no one wants their qb worrying about anything other than Football.

But I keep being told it's not about his politics?

If they Jets really plan on deliberately fielding an inferior team just for the draft pick I hope no on goes to a game.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 12:00 AM)GMDino Wrote: So tank just to get a higher draft pick?  Seems like an iffy proposition given how rare a true quality pick comes in the top five or so.

Looks like he's better than what the Steelers have for backup, why don't you guys sign him? Perfect backup for Ben, can run faster, and could slot right in there when Ben retires next year!
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2017, 09:05 AM)Bengalsrob Wrote: Looks like he's better than what the Steelers have for backup, why don't you guys sign him? Perfect backup for Ben, can run faster, and could slot right in there when Ben retires next year!

I totally get that.  I feel the season is lost after that first half of a the first pre-season game.  That they won.   Sad

Mellow
Cool
Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2017, 01:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: But I keep being told it's not about his politics?

If they Jets really plan on deliberately fielding an inferior team just for the draft pick I hope no on goes to a game.

The Bills look to be tanking as well. Probably not a bad call for the AFCE. No one is winning it while Brady is playing anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 01:23 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The Bills look to be tanking as well.   Probably not a bad call for the AFCE.  No one is winning it while Brady is playing anyway.

Leave it to a Bengals fan to say quitting on the season before it starts because it will be hard to win is the best plan. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2017, 09:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: Leave it to a Bengals fan to say quitting on the season before it starts because it will be hard to win is the best plan. 

The best qb in the AFCE during Brady's years has been Chad Pennington.

Same reason the browns are in multi season tank mode
Reply/Quote