Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens parked 2 safeties EVERY PLAY and dared us to run
(01-18-2023, 10:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Seriously?  Tee had 4 receptions on 6 targets and one of the incompletions was in the end zone when Marcus "king of the assbags" Peters punched him in the facemask so hard his helmet almost popped off.  Tee damn near still caught the ball but that was a shitty play.  

Yeah I don't get this either.  Tee played fine.  How you gonna catch a ball while having your head removed at the same time?
Reply/Quote
Teams have been doing this all year. It's nothing new.

There are more ways to beat two high safety than just running the ball. Use the middle and intermedite parts of the field more, quick passing, screens, etc.

Running the ball would help, but we haven't been able to do that all year - I dont expect us to have much success this week, especially with the personell on the OL we will be running out there this week.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:28 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I kinda laughed at how one of the announcers claimed that the Bengals were establishing the play-action on one "deeper" pass(Chase?).

Clearly on that play the D was looking at Mixon to receive the checkdown pass and froze for a second for it.

Not because of our team running the ball.

Ravens are an aggressive defense. Bengals took advantage of them over persuining quit a bit in both games they played them. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 11:46 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Perine is a great #2, but on no planet is he better than Joe Mixon, even with the rough year that Mixon has had.

I've been team Mixon this year - but I think I'm ready for Perine to out touch Mixon this game. Something needs to change and he gives you that much more in pass pro. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 12:10 PM)motoarch Wrote: Yeah I don't get this either.  Tee played fine.  How you gonna catch a ball while having your head removed at the same time?

Marcus Peters is a dick and I'm glad his dumbass is sitting at home watching.  Scumbag. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:17 PM)bengalfan47 Wrote: I have been watching football for over 40 years and I have a lot of knowledge as a fan but I am not a student of the game by any means so a lot of the technical side of the game goes past me.
 My question is , why cant we get the run game going when it seems like that is what the defense is giving us?
Is it Mixon's fault? Does our line suck at run blocking? It seems to me like the other team knows when and where we are going to run it. Are we telegraphing our plays somehow?
We are a decent line away from having a run like the Cowboys did from 92-95 I believe and I would hate to see this team's one flaw keep us from winning it all.

One thing is a teams front can be better with their front 7 than a front 8, the Ravens were playing very well with their core, they did not need a extra safety...

Look at bengals, i believe i read we are one of the lower blitzing teams, part of that is the pressure they get with their core.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw somewhere that said the Ravens ran ZERO defensive snaps where both safeties werent deep. I find that very hard to believe but im not about to pay 10$ just to rewatch a game with NFL+ so im going to just ASSUME the real number is at least 75% of the snaps.

If the Bills do this to us, we HAVE to run the ball. As I look at this game's matchups I see no world in which we win with Mixon getting 11 carries for 39 yards. (3.5 YPC). Playing the Ravens twice before I think helped Burrow more than it hurt. Burrow is known to do very well against teams hes seen before. I dont want to say this is why we won, but its a part. We only have 1 quarter of Bills tape and I dont see us jumping them like we did at Paycor again.

Theoretically a team should not be able to park 2 safeties deep for that many plays. Theoretically, you should get them out of that defense after a few decent gains on the ground. But if those gains never come we get what we saw Sunday. Zac and Callahan are pass game aces, but we are gonna need them to be a complete offensive coaches on Sunday. Im talkin jet sweeps, runs from shotgun, HB screens EVERYTHING. We absolutely need the run game to put in 70+ yards this Sunday. We cannot allow the Bills to comfortably sit their 2 safeties back all game. We cant ask Burrow to be the whole offense. Guys gotta step up.

here is a flaw in your analysis, you assume all fronts are equal and they are not.. the backend of the Ravens is their weakness not their frontend so you should throw the ball more even with 2 safeties if those safeties are weaker than running the ball against their front ....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 09:31 PM)Housh Wrote: I saw somewhere that said the Ravens ran ZERO defensive snaps where both safeties werent deep. I find that very hard to believe but im not about to pay 10$ just to rewatch a game with NFL+ so im going to just ASSUME the real number is at least 75% of the snaps.

If the Bills do this to us, we HAVE to run the ball. As I look at this game's matchups I see no world in which we win with Mixon getting 11 carries for 39 yards. (3.5 YPC). Playing the Ravens twice before I think helped Burrow more than it hurt. Burrow is known to do very well against teams hes seen before. I dont want to say this is why we won, but its a part. We only have 1 quarter of Bills tape and I dont see us jumping them like we did at Paycor again.

Theoretically a team should not be able to park 2 safeties deep for that many plays. Theoretically, you should get them out of that defense after a few decent gains on the ground. But if those gains never come we get what we saw Sunday. Zac and Callahan are pass game aces, but we are gonna need them to be a complete offensive coaches on Sunday. Im talkin jet sweeps, runs from shotgun, HB screens EVERYTHING. We absolutely need the run game to put in 70+ yards this Sunday. We cannot allow the Bills to comfortably sit their 2 safeties back all game. We cant ask Burrow to be the whole offense. Guys gotta step up.

I remember seeing this quite a bit, not sure about every play but definitely noticeable.  They were literally rushing 4 guys and getting all kinds of pressure most of the time.  Perfect game plan because they had the personnel on the d-line to do it.

If the Bills do this (which unless they are idiots they will) we better be able to run the ball or our chances of winning will be slim to none. 

I just think we need to try to stay with the run to see if we can pull them out of that look.  If we start slinging it around we better hope those underneath routes are quick and successful.  And even if they are I don't know if that's the recipe for success as Allen and their offense will be on the field as much as ours - it'll boil down to which team executes best offensively and which defense wears down first.
Reply/Quote

That OL couldn't get any push whatsoever or holes for any type of running game, its been an issue all year with some success in between. We are ranked dead last I believe in the run game or close to it. Will we have an answer now especially with only 2 starters on the OL? I doubt it..the OL has once again become our achilles heel and the lack of run game shows for it.  the team ran for a total of 51 yards at 2.8 a carry.

I agree with you the run game needs to be a prt of the plan, but do you really think with the players we have we can be successful in the post season? I do not... 
Reply/Quote

It’s been the blueprint for most of the year versus us and KC. Next year I look for us to be able to run the ball better. We were headed there.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Some stats of note:

- Mixon averaged 2.45 YPC and 3.55 YPC the past two weeks.
- Perine averaged 3.00 YPC and 1.50 YPC the past two weeks.

- BAL has a Top 3 rushing defense in rushing attempts, rushing yards, and YPC on the season. Their overall season YPC allowed was 3.9.

- BUF is still in the Top 5 rushing defense in rushing attempts and rushing yards, but they are "only" 14th in YPC allowed this season at 4.3. They have benefitted from being ahead of teams early such that their opponent has to throw more.

So what are my takeaways from these statistics?
- The Bengals running game has been poor in recent weeks. It's very difficult to succeed in the running game if you're averaging below 4.0 YPC.
- BAL is elite at defending the run, so it's not a surprise the Bengals didn't do well here.
- BUF should be easier to attack in the run game, but the Bills have shown to get up early on teams, forcing them to abandon the run to try to catch up. Gotta find a way to get the lead early, run to have longer drives, and keep Josh Allen and that offense off the field.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 01:18 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Marcus Peters is a dick and I'm glad his dumbass is sitting at home watching.  Scumbag. 

Yes he is.  Me too.  Truth.

Didn't you love the way Chase blew him off after the game?  "I have nothing to say about that dude. Nothing."

This is how you handle bullies.  Beat their ass, then ignore them.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some stats of note:

- Mixon averaged 2.45 YPC and 3.55 YPC the past two weeks.
- Perine averaged 3.00 YPC and 1.50 YPC the past two weeks.

- BAL has a Top 3 rushing defense in rushing attempts, rushing yards, and YPC on the season. Their overall season YPC allowed was 3.9.

- BUF is still in the Top 5 rushing defense in rushing attempts and rushing yards, but they are "only" 14th in YPC allowed this season at 4.3. They have benefitted from being ahead of teams early such that their opponent has to throw more.

So what are my takeaways from these statistics?
- The Bengals running game has been poor in recent weeks. It's very difficult to succeed in the running game if you're averaging below 4.0 YPC.
- BAL is elite at defending the run, so it's not a surprise the Bengals didn't do well here.
- BUF should be easier to attack in the run game, but the Bills have shown to get up early on teams, forcing them to abandon the run to try to catch up. Gotta find a way to get the lead early, run to have longer drives, and keep Josh Allen and that offense off the field.
 Funny I think Bills are thinking same thing, run ball and keep Burrow and company off field..
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 03:10 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: Yes he is.  Me too.  Truth.

Didn't you love the way Chase blew him off after the game?  "I have nothing to say about that dude.  Nothing."

This is how you handle bullies.  Beat their ass, then ignore them.

Well said.  Chase has been better at not letting others get a rise out of him of late.  
Reply/Quote
Miami had WR's running wide open all day. If they didn't drop some easy ones, or had someone who wasn't a 3rd string rookie throwing the ball they get torched. The reality is their pass defense isn't good and we should be able to capitalize on this like we were before the game was stopped week 17. Our running game frankly is bad and people want to "establish it" but no one wants to attempt to at 3 yards a touch.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 06:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: Miami had WR's running wide open all day. If they didn't drop some easy ones, or had someone who wasn't a 3rd string rookie throwing the ball they get torched. The reality is their pass defense isn't good and we should be able to capitalize on this like we were before the game was stopped week 17. Our running game frankly is bad and people want to "establish it" but no one wants to attempt to at 3 yards a touch.

I'd love it if we can reel off some productive 5+ yard runs. Kind of keep their D honest.

But I fully agree we'll live or die with the passing game. And if Diggs doesn't burn our D all day.
Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who thought Mixon had a decent amount of good runs? Especially on first down. They just didn’t continue to do it. I even commented on game day that the game is a whole lot easier at 2nd and 4 or 5.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

Yes sir Housh, need to run the ball a lot in this one and not just with Mixon. Lots of Samaje. Also, for damn sure don't go 
with the wide zone scheme. Stick with the scheme that got us here the Gap. Both of these guys were running well too against
the Ratbirds at times, we just didn't stick with it.

But hey, the Bills aren't good at Defending the pass and we could be dead wrong and we need to pass more.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 06:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes sir Housh, need to run the ball a lot in this one and not just with Mixon. Lots of Samaje. Also, for damn sure don't go 
with the wide zone scheme. Stick with the scheme that got us here the Gap. Both of these guys were running well too against
the Ratbirds at times, we just didn't stick with it.

But hey, the Bills aren't good at Defending the pass and we could be dead wrong and we need to pass more.

I disagree. You can take advantage of the Bills secondary - it's weak and lacks speed. 

I don't get why people want to do more of what we do bad, and less of what we do good. Yes, defensive looks can dictate things...but to just totally give up on the pass against a poor pass defense because they are playing two high is absurd.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2023, 06:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Am I the only one who thought Mixon had a decent amount of good runs?  Especially on first down. They just didn’t continue to do it. I even commented on game day that the game is a whole lot easier at 2nd and 4 or 5.

His effectiveness seemed to be very drive dependent. There were two drive where he rushed multiple time for basically no gain that killed drives then a couple drive where he had multiple 4 yards per rush gains. I will say later on there were some penalties on early downs that made it impossible to really run in those situations.
Reply/Quote