Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ravens use the franchise tag
On their kicker?

Quote:Ravens franchise kicker Justin Tucker

It's rare for a team to use its franchise tag on a kicker, but that's exactly what theRavens did with Justin Tucker. Baltimore franchised Tucker, guaranteeing the one-time All-Pro will be paid $4.5 million this upcoming season, according to Tucker's agent Robert S. Roche. This means Tucker will be the highest-paid kicker in football, surpassing Stephen Gostkowski of the New England Patriots.

Tucker, 26, has been one of the best kickers in football over the last four years, converting 87.8 percent of his field goal attempts. In 2013, Tucker tied the Ravens' franchise record when he hit six field goals in Baltimore's 18-16 win over the Detroit Lions on Dec. 16, 2013. He also booted through a 61-yard attempt, which is the longest field goal in Ravens history.

Tucker struggled a bit in 2015, missing a career-high seven field goals. Considering the Ravens lost nine games by one possession last season, Tucker's right foot could've probably improved their record if he had been a little more accurate.

Despite that, Baltimore has elected to ensure Tucker sticks around for another season, which could be a result of how the Ravens lost the AFC Championship in 2012. Down by three points against the New England Patriots in the game's waning moments, Billy Cundiff was called upon for a 32-yard chip shot. It seemed as if the Ravens were guaranteed to force the game into overtime, but then the ball went wide left.

The following spring, the Ravens added Tucker as an undrafted free agent and invited him to training camp to compete with Cundiff. Tucker wound up winning the job and immediately established himself as a reliable option, converting all of his extra points and only missing three field goals.

Kicker is often one of the most overlooked positions in football. But as the Ravens learned the hard way four years ago, having a bad one can torpedo your season.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/26/10964210/justin-tucker-ravens-franchise-tag
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
One of the better kickers in the league who wanted far more than they were willing to spend, especially considering he had an off year in 2015.

Not really surprising.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 03:03 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: One of the better kickers in the league who wanted far more than they were willing to spend, especially considering he had an off year in 2015.

Not really surprising.

No, but given the fragile nature of kickers in general its a bit of a gamble.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 04:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: No, but given the fragile nature of kickers in general its a bit of a gamble.

I thought that was just the nature of bengals' kickers.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well he is the best player on the entire team Mellow
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 04:14 PM)GMDino Wrote: No, but given the fragile nature of kickers in general its a bit of a gamble.

It's a bit of a gamble to what? Lock him in for 1 year?

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 09:56 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's a bit of a gamble to what? Lock him in for 1 year?

...as the highest paid kicker in the league.  Yes.

Ask Pittsburgh about losing kickers to injury or sudden suckiness.

I mean maybe they don't have anyone else they are afraid of losing.  I have no idea.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 12:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: ...as the highest paid kicker in the league.  Yes.

Ask Pittsburgh about losing kickers to injury or sudden suckiness.

I mean maybe they don't have anyone else they are afraid of losing.  I have no idea.

So GM Gmdino says: "Never franchise tag a kicker because they could possibly get hurt".

A quick google search shows us that kickers are the 2nd most tagged position...

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 02:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So GM Gmdino says: "Never franchise tag a kicker because they could possibly get hurt".

A quick google search shows us that kickers are the 2nd most tagged position...

I said given their fragility.  Didn't say never.  Also didn't do research apparently.  Smirk

10 in the last five years (when the Steelers used in on Jeff Reed).  2 in the last 3.  

Also i didn't find a list of positions most tagged.  Share the link if you would.  I'd be interested to see the others.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 02:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: I said given their fragility.  Didn't say never.  Also didn't do research apparently.  Smirk

10 in the last five years (when the Steelers used in on Jeff Reed).  2 in the last 3.  

Also i didn't find a list of positions most tagged.  Share the link if you would.  I'd be interested to see the others.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-ravens-franchise-tag-justin-tucker-nfl-kickers-20160215-story.html

Quote: here’s a breakdown of how often each position has been tagged since the concept was introduced in 2007:

14: Linebacker

12: Defensive end, kicker
11: Defensive tackle/nose tackle
7: Wide receiver, tight end, offensive line
5: Cornerback, safety
4: Quarterback, running back
2: Punter

Reply/Quote
[Image: tucker.0.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 12:13 AM)eoxyod Wrote: [Image: tucker.0.gif]

As soon as i scrolled to this gif, 311's Amber came on the radio and i was mesmerized for a few minutes.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote