Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray Rice Gets A New Job
(01-26-2016, 05:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: Ok...there was a question mark at the end of a sentence.  But it wasn't really a question...it was a statement about what he hoped was a hypocritical steelers fan.

Cites:

ThumbsUp 

[Image: title.gif]

[Image: 2495228_700b.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hey, every man that wants to work should be afforded the ability to earn a wage.  Just because Ray Rice did a terrible thing, does not make him a totally unemployable person.  Hope he does well, and continues to treat his wife with love and affection.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2016, 11:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hey, every man that wants to work should be afforded the ability to earn a wage.  Just because Ray Rice did a terrible thing, does not make him a totally unemployable person.  Hope he does well, and continues to treat his wife with love and affection.

I agree that he's not an unemployable person and another team should give him a chance, but in an age where the NFL is trying to clean up its image and punish players so that maybe these types of things will stop and kids can look up to them, is it really a good idea to have him be the coach of college kids trying to start this new life?  Won't they look at him as a guy that knocked out his wife and not a Super Bowl winner that made the Pro Bowl three times?
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2016, 10:22 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: The title of the story being "Ray Rice Gets A New Job" is misleading as hell and is obviously only there to bait people into clicking, which it worked on me, but he's coaching the 2016 collegiate bowl.

I don't see how anyone could have thought this was a good idea and the people who are in charge of the collegiate bowl should face all sorts of hell for allowing it.

I have to think that he went to them begging for the job, or maybe the NFL went to them and asked them to do it as a favor to Rice so teams would be less afraid to let him be on their team, but that seems doubtful to me.

On the other hand, another former Raven murdered two people and is still a face of ESPN TV, so who knows.

Gotta love an upstanding organization like the one Baltimore has!  It's funny to me how they don't face more scrutiny, but I guess winning makes them above criticism.

The bowl is sponsored by the NFLPA.  Regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong for him to coach, I don't think it's terribly shocking that a players' organization would be willing to give a second chance to one of its own.  I doubt he had to beg.  

Also, why would the NFL solicit the NFLPA to give Rice a chance?  The league is primarily ruled by the owners.  Why would they want to do a favor for a guy they've already decided (so far at least) that they don't want to sign?  That makes no sense. 

Lastly, I get that your last sentence was probably there to 'keep it smack', but I think it's funny how fans of a particular team somehow think that they have the moral high ground in stories about problem players from other teams.  Player conduct is a league problem. It is not restricted to a particular team.  But fans like to ridicule their rivals when they have issues, totally ignoring 1) the issues on their own team and (more importantly) 2) the fact that by supporting any team at all, they are supporting the larger league structure that creates an environment where criminals are given a slap on the wrist because they can help win games.  If people have a problem with the fact that Lewis or any of a number of others have been able to continue to play, they should be mad at the league, not just the teams they play for.  
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 11:09 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: The bowl is sponsored by the NFLPA.  Regardless of whether you think it's right or wrong for him to coach, I don't think it's terribly shocking that a players' organization would be willing to give a second chance to one of its own.  I doubt he had to beg.  
So players don't mind that another player is making them look bad?  They don't mind that a lot of people, justified or not, see things like what Ray Rice did and just categorize the entire NFL?

(01-27-2016, 11:09 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Also, why would the NFL solicit the NFLPA to give Rice a chance?  The league is primarily ruled by the owners.  Why would they want to do a favor for a guy they've already decided (so far at least) that they don't want to sign?  That makes no sense. 
Owners may have a say, but there's a lot of people higher up that run the show, also, like Roger Goodell.  

Another possibility is maybe the owners are just trying to get Ray Rice back in a productive role because they'd like to sign him and they know that they'd face less scrutiny and less criticism if he's eased back into things/
(01-27-2016, 11:09 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Lastly, I get that your last sentence was probably there to 'keep it smack', but I think it's funny how fans of a particular team somehow think that they have the moral high ground in stories about problem players from other teams.  Player conduct is a league problem. It is not restricted to a particular team.  But fans like to ridicule their rivals when they have issues, totally ignoring 1) the issues on their own team and (more importantly) 2) the fact that by supporting any team at all, they are supporting the larger league structure that creates an environment where criminals are given a slap on the wrist because they can help win games.  If people have a problem with the fact that Lewis or any of a number of others have been able to continue to play, they should be mad at the league, not just the teams they play for.  
How many teams employee women beaters and don't even so much as fine him until there's public backlash and how many teams employee murderers and allow them to become the face of their franchise?
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 05:57 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So players don't mind that another player is making them look bad?  They don't mind that a lot of people, justified or not, see things like what Ray Rice did and just categorize the entire NFL?

Owners may have a say, but there's a lot of people higher up that run the show, also, like Roger Goodell.  

Another possibility is maybe the owners are just trying to get Ray Rice back in a productive role because they'd like to sign him and they know that they'd face less scrutiny and less criticism if he's eased back into things/
How many teams employee women beaters and don't even so much as fine him until there's public backlash and how many teams employee murderers and allow them to become the face of their franchise?
How many guys cut a guy who was getting into too much trouble and then re-sign him?  
Reply/Quote
How many teams employ women beaters after they're kicked off their former teams?

I can think of the Bengals and Cowboys. Any more?

It has long been established that teams will employ people with horrendous pasts if they can still play. Rice can't, so he's not employed.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2016, 10:09 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: How many teams employ women beaters after they're kicked off their former teams?

I can think of the Bengals and Cowboys. Any more?

It has long been established that teams will employ people with horrendous pasts if they can still play. Rice can't, so he's not employed.

Stones. Glass houses, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2016, 12:20 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Stones. Glass houses, etc.

Hampton was signed in the off season and cut two months later as soon as he was arrested. Also, who is Victor Hampton? I had to look that one up.

Pierce was cut the day he was pulled over.

Cody was cut before they even announced what he did. 

So you're basically saying the Ravens cutting two guys for DUI is the same as the Bengals hiring a guy after serving a year suspension for beating the shit out of a stripper and keeping him after he punched a woman. I'm gonna teach you how to smack talk. Instead of citing the fact that the Ravens will cut problem players, mention Terrell Suggs and the past allegations against him. I don't like him for a reason and I hope they're not true.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote