Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Read Between The Lines, AJ Is Done In Cincy
(12-14-2020, 01:38 AM)TheFan Wrote: How did he waste his prime going to 5 straight playoffs?  Mellow

The HOF committee's don't care about playoff appearances. They care about playoff wins and Super Bowls.

We've failed to win a single playoff game in 30 years. That's the definition of a waste of a prime. Plus, how bad were we in Primetime games?

IF he played for the Pats or Steelers he'd probably be a HOFer.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 04:39 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: "Waste" is pretty harsh.  Ownership didn't seem to be all that interested in going "all in" at any point during his tenure.  That 2015 team was hot fire but they seemed to just let that roster fall apart rather than stomp the gas pedal in 2016.  His talents weren't literally wasted in that he became a rich man, built a reputation, put on a world class show for the fans, and now has freedom to do pretty much whatever the hell he wants to do in life.  I found watching AJ Green throughout his career to be inspiring.

Yes - Wasted. The small fanbase of the Bengals know who he is. Outside of here, he's largely irrelevant.

The Bengals had ample cap space for the playoff years and decided to roll it over so that they could build the teams we've saw for the last 5 years instead of bringing those 1 or 2 impact free agents in to put us over the him.

NFL players want to win playoff games and ultimately championships. We didn't do that for ANY player here over the last 30 years. Now AJ and Geno are on the decline.
Reply/Quote
Well, at least there are no more questions about the future for Green and the Bengals.

Green wanted to stay with one team his whole career. The team that drafted him in the Cincinnati Bengals looked good early in his contract, sort of like someone for a one night stand, but the next morning, eek. Shocked
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 04:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Well, at least there are no more questions about the future for Green and the Bengals.  

Green wanted to stay with one team his whole career.  The team that drafted him in the Cincinnati Bengals looked good early in his contract, sort of like someone for a one night stand,  but the next morning, eek.   Shocked

I really like AJ, but his best years were his rookie contract. After that, he started to rack up injuries.

I think a lot of players say initially they want to stay with 1 team their entire career, but reality is they'd leave if they had too. AJ is from Atlanta anyways.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 11:12 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gameday/aj-green-on-bengals-loss-to-cowboys

AJ is always classy and says the right things, but listen to this interview and read between the lines and his body language says "Im done in Cincy, I want to win before its all over for me"

He's been one of the classiest players to where stripes in Cincy and I hope the bet for him. Zac is really bringing this team to incredible lows in many ways this year.

This offseason will be interesting and hopefully not depressing with the decisions or lack there of from the front office.

of course but with the younger receivers letting AJ walk vs paying him about 20 mil is the right call. and with us being in the tank right now any vet near end of playing career worth anything should ask to leave too.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 03:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The HOF committee's don't care about playoff appearances. They care about playoff wins and Super Bowls.

We've failed to win a single playoff game in 30 years. That's the definition of a waste of a prime. Plus, how bad were we in Primetime games?

IF he played for the Pats or Steelers he'd probably be a HOFer.

You don't know that. AJ was also one of the reasons we didn't win a playoff game and were bad in prime time games. He never showed up just like the rest of the team. AJ was a really good receiver but regardless of team I'm not sure if he ever makes it past the Hall Of Really Good. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 05:20 PM)TheFan Wrote: You don't know that. AJ was also one of the reasons we didn't win a playoff game and were bad in prime time games. He never showed up just like the rest of the team. AJ was a really good receiver but regardless of team I'm not sure if he ever makes it past the Hall Of Really Good. 

One of those playoff games Jay Gruden in his infinite wisdom didn’t even target AJ until midway through the 3rd quarter. He also should have had the game winning TD against Pittsburgh if not for the meltdown.

And he’s had multiple good primetime games, including a 3 TD night against Baltimore in 2018.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 03:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - Wasted. The small fanbase of the Bengals know who he is. Outside of here, he's largely irrelevant.

This is one hundred percent bullshit.

Also proof that you never played fantasy football.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 11:12 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/gameday/aj-green-on-bengals-loss-to-cowboys

AJ is always classy and says the right things, but listen to this interview and read between the lines and his body language says "Im done in Cincy, I want to win before its all over for me"

He's been one of the classiest players to where stripes in Cincy and I hope the bet for him. Zac is really bringing this team to incredible lows in many ways this year.

This offseason will be interesting and hopefully not depressing with the decisions or lack there of from the front office.

AJ is all class but Taylor has given him plenty of playing time but he has not produced 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is one hundred percent bullshit.

Also proof that you never played fantasy football.

Yeah, that’s definitely untrue. When I talk to non-Bengals fans who know they’re my team AJ is the main thing they do know about us.

Geno is the one who’s not as well known as he should be, imo.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals spent $18.1 mill on AJ Green for this season.

I wonder what the team would have been like if they had spent that cap on some solid-or-better OL instead.
Jack Conklin is doing extremely well in CLE at RT, $14 mill APY.
Graham Glasgow is playing well for DEN at RG, $11 mill APY.
Ereck Flowers is doing well in MIA at LG, $10 mill APY.
Rick Wagner is doing well in GB at RT, $5.5 mill APY.

If you add Reader and Waynes to Green's cap hit, it'd have been $38.1 mill.
If you were to ask me last offseason would I rather have Conklin, Glasgow, and Flowers vs Green, Reader, and Waynes, I would have said the former. And that's even if Reader and Waynes weren't hurt.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2020, 05:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: One of those playoff games Jay Gruden in his infinite wisdom didn’t even target AJ until midway through the 3rd quarter. He also should have had the game winning TD against Pittsburgh if not for the meltdown.

And he’s had multiple good primetime games, including a 3 TD night against Baltimore in 2018.

I'm not going to look back through his career and check all the prime time games. Im sure he had some good ones and I'm sure he had some bad ones, just like the team. 

When it came to the playoffs, regardless of what Gruden may have done in that first half, he disappeared just as much as the team. In 4 playoff games he averaged 58 yards and .25 touchdowns. That's terrible. Don't try to argue he didn't have chances because he averaged 10 targets per game (12 in the one you blame Gruden for) and only caught 4.5 of them. Again, that's terrible. 

Maybe if you put him with a HOF QB for most of his career he can slip in there but for the majority of teams, AJ is just a really good WR not a HOF one. 

I really like AJ and for the beginning part of his career I thought he was HOF bound and made some excuses for him too. But ultimately some of the responsibility is on him and the best receivers don't get stopped repeatedly on the brightest stage, regardless of what's going on around them. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:13 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not going to look back through his career and check all the prime time games. Im sure he had some good ones and I'm sure he had some bad ones, just like the team. 

When it came to the playoffs, regardless of what Gruden may have done in that first half, he disappeared just as much as the team. In 4 playoff games he averaged 58 yards and .25 touchdowns. That's terrible. Don't try to argue he didn't have chances because he averaged 10 targets per game (12 in the one you blame Gruden for) and only caught 4.5 of them. Again, that's terrible. 

Maybe if you put him with a HOF QB for most of his career he can slip in there but for the majority of teams, AJ is just a really good WR not a HOF one. 

I really like AJ and for the beginning part of his career I thought he was HOF bound and made some excuses for him too. But ultimately some of the responsibility is on him and the best receivers don't get stopped repeatedly on the brightest stage, regardless of what's going on around them. 
I think without injuries, AJ would be right there for HOF.. big games are not just playoff games.. he had many big games to get into playoffs. I agree though two of our greatest WRs have done crap in the playoffs.. AJ and Chad
Reply/Quote
I think AJ Green is one of the best players to ever put on Bengals Jersey and should be in a Ring of Fame at Paul Brown Stadium. There should be other players to consider as one of the greatest Cincinnati Bengal besides Anthony Munoz. You could even throw some other players in there along with Green such as Chad Johnson, Tj Houshmandzadeh, Carl Pickens, Corey Dillion, Boomer Esiason, Cris Collinsworth, Carson Palmer, Shayne Graham, Andrew Whitworth, Reggie Williams, Brian Simmons, Justin Smith, Ken Anderson, Rudi Johnson and Andy Dalton etc. Don't get me wrong there are many memorable players that have played for this franchise. I wish the best for Aj but he deserves a ring just like Larry Fitzgerald. If they were both on different teams at a certain time they both would be Super Bowl Champions.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 04:39 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think without injuries, AJ would be right there for HOF.. big games are not just playoff games.. he had many big games to get into playoffs. I agree though two of our greatest WRs have done crap in the playoffs.. AJ and Chad

No doubt. But, injuries are part of the games.

He had a really great 7 years.

Probably the biggest disappointment as a fan is seeing some of my favorite players like Green never win here.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2020, 01:13 PM)TheFan Wrote: I'm not going to look back through his career and check all the prime time games. Im sure he had some good ones and I'm sure he had some bad ones, just like the team. 

Randy Moss averaged 65 yds a game in the playoffs. TO averaged 62.

Good coaches (like the ones you face in the playoffs) take away your best weapon. Bill Belichick makes it priority #1. Not arguing AJ has been great in the playoffs, but Marvin Jones doesn’t go off for a franchise record 130 yds without AJ drawing the attention he did.

Reply/Quote