Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reader is Gone 2.0
I would think that most would agree that as the Bengals sit right now that RT and DT are by far the most pressing needs and to narrow DT down I would say that most would agree that NT is most pressing on the defensive line. With this in mind I really dedicated myself to watching tape on the top defensive tackles and those specifically are touted as run stoppers. I have to say that I walked away from that film study with a different mindset of who I felt would be the best fit for the Bengals.

Going into this simulation I was weighing is a trade needed to secure the players needed to fill their needs or could they have those needs filled while retaining their draft capitol and use it to build for the future as well? Here is what it became...

The Draft:

Reply/Quote
Well, I'm open minded on this stuff. IF the Bengals change a little on how they play the run, I could get behind Murphy as the pick. I don't like him as a straight up 2 gap guy.

80-97-115 are all guys I love.

I'd have to see who you passed on at 49 to tell you what I think there.
Reply/Quote
I am not as high on Byron Murphy as most (top 20). He was an excellent rotational nose tackle in the big 12 great first step leverage and core strength but you arent going to let him 2 gap in short yardage and Texas didnt let him rush the passer from the B Gap.

I have an early second round grade on Murphy as a high end 1t.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Selection:
Byron Murphy - DT - Texas - 6'0.5" 297

Murphy is hands down the best DT in the draft and what I saw watching as much Texas tape I could find is that when him and Sweat were on the field together that he drew as many if not more double teams than Sweat did and that he handled those double teams as well if not better. Murphy is just grown man strong and his first step for an interior player is excellent. I think often we get caught up with size as a determiner for the NT position, I can admit that I have, and do not give credence to smaller players for the NT role.

Murphy lined up as a true NT for Texas when they went to an odd front. In 4 man fronts, as I have stated, he regularly caught double teams and when doubled he would keep his head up and determine which direction the play was going and then on a consistent basis would be able to disengage himself from the double to pursue the play. On passing downs Murphy serious threat to get to the QB and much of that has to do with the wicked first step. Murphy could probably add 8-10 pounds to his frame and not lose an ounce of quickness. 

In a draft deep with RT prospects the Bengals stay put and take the best DT in the draft!

RD. 2 - 49th Selection:
Ricky Pearsall - WR - Florida - 6'1" 189

With Boyd moving on and the days seemingly numbered for Higgins (a trade for a selection on draft day?) the Bengals need to add to the WR room and they do that with a good one here. It does not take much film watching to really like this kid and to see that he is going to leave it all on the field each time he steps out there. Pearsall is a worker who has good speed, absolutely outstanding hands, and does the little things that a receiver needs to do to separate and get himself open. Fearless over the middle and will flat lay out to make a catch. 

Pearsall is a QBs dream when it comes to making the catch and making himself available. As well Pearsall showed real values as a WR that can be used in sweeps and screens and he is a good blocker downfield. The staff should love having this kid in their WR room.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:
Blake Fisher - OT - Notre Dame - 6'6" 310

And AFC personnel executive stated that of the two ND tackles that Fisher is the more naturally talented and that Alt is just more technically sound. I have watched all the tape I have been able to find on Fisher and I see a kid that walks out there and starts on day 1 if necessary. Yes, there are small technical issues he will need to clean up but they absolutely should be coachable fixes. I believe the biggest issue you will find with Fisher is occasional poor hand placement and now and then slow off of the snap but has the athleticism to recover from it.

Fisher has the athleticism to mirror speed rushers and the natural strength and power to sit down and anchor against power rushers. Fisher provides the athleticism and power combination that he could play either side and excel. 

RD. 3 - 97th Selection:
Zak Zinter - OL - Michigan - 6'6" 309

Karras is a FA after '24 and the Bengals need to be considering the future at C for this team. ZInter is by far the best player on the Michigan offensive line and while he did not play center during the season he took extensive practice snaps at the position. Zinter is talented enough to play any interior line position. He brings physicality, technique, and football IQ to the interior of the line. He is recovering from a broken leg so taking a flyer on the '24 season could be in the cards or he could be a value depth piece should he prove 100% healthy.

Zinter just does not get dominated on the line and he is a great piece to begin building for the future with. As mentioned Karras is a FA after '24 and Volson and Cappa both after '25.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection:
Ben Sinnott - TE - Kansas State - 6'4" 250

Bringing in Gesicki for a season is a good move by the Bengals, I would have liked to have seen at least 2 years. Hudson has re-signed for the '24 season as well and again I would like to have seen at least 2 years. While the Bengals look pretty good for the '24 season they again need to look to the future. Sinnott looks to be a very solid piece for the future but I see him pressing for snaps in '24 as well.

Sinnott is strong as receiving TE and has ran a pretty diverse route tree for K State and was utilized at all three levels of the defense. Sinnott has really good hands, gets in and out of his breaks well, and has displayed the ability to gain yards after the catch. He is a chain mover that could help the Bengals in moving on from Boyd as their third down target. While not be a dominating blocker Sinnott is also not a pushover as an inline blocker. Overall, he should be a really good addition to the Bengals offense and is solid all the way around.

RD. 5 - 149th Selection:
Elijah Jones - CB - Boston College - 6'1.5" 185

Ball skills! This kid knows how to take the ball away. He is a CB that brings good size, speed, and length to the position and he consistently turns to find the football when in man coverage. He is experienced in man as well as off coverage and he has shown to be an outstanding zone corner who makes outstanding breaks on the ball when it enters into his part of the field. Overall, Jones is a pretty solid corner that should be just what the Bengals are looking for to add quality depth to the room with departure of Awuzie and the uncertainty of Ivey after his injury. 

RD. 6 - 194th Selection:
Brandon Colemen - OL - TCU - 6'4.5" 313

Coleman played both LT and LG for the Horned Frogs but his best tape was on the interior. As a guard he brings elite length to the position to go along with really good power. Displayed the ability to make the initial block and then climb to the second level and make effective blocks at the second level as well. While he offers tackle versatility he certainly brings more value to the guard position and while he has some technique issues to clean up he could be a key cog in the future of the Bengals interior line while adding quality depth for the instant future.

RD. 6 - 214th Selection:
Keith Randolph Jr. - DT - Illinois - 6'3.5" 296

When the Bengals has Reader they had the issue of having difficulty stopping the run when he needed a break. Randolph brings many similarities to Murphy in that he is an outstanding run stopper while being undersized by most standards. Again, like Murphy he is a kid that could appear to easily put on 8-10 pounds without slowing him down. He is extremely strong inside and consistently filled the stat sheets with tackles while at Illinois. He is a kid that could make coaches breath easier when the need to pull Murphy to give him a breather. Team captain and by all accounts a great locker room presence.

RD. 7 - 224th Selection:
Dwight McGlothern - CB - Arkansas - 6'2" 185

McGlothern is another kid that brings good size, speed, and length to the corner position as well as having good ball skills like Jones earlier. He needs to continue to work to become stronger as a run supporter but he has some true skills to work with and should be a really solid depth piece for the corner back room. 

RD. 7 - 237th Selection:
Jordan Whittington - WR - Texas - 6'1" 205

Whittington is a very solidly built receiver who is much like a RB once the ball is in his hands. What he did for Texas was the little dirty work that role players do such as moving the chains and blocking down field. He is an extremely tough player with outstanding intangibles. He could be a kid that excels as a special teams player and works himself onto the bottom of the roster while adding real value.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I am not as high on Byron Murphy as most (top 20). He was an excellent rotational nose tackle in the big 12 great first step leverage and core strength but you arent going to let him 2 gap in short yardage and Texas didnt let him rush the passer from the B Gap.

I will respectfully disagree and Texas utilized him in many different ways on their defensive front. I don't get the notion that they did not "let" him rush the passer from the B gap. Is this to say that if it was a passing down and he was lined up in the B that they told him not to go after the QB? While it may not be as easy for him to get after the QB in the B gap (generally because he drew many double teams when he lined up in the B) that does not mean that he was not successful in the B gap. If your concern in 2 gapping is him seeing double teams then you must not have watched much tape of him as he consistently drew as many if not more double teams than Sweat did when they were both on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 09:12 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I will respectfully disagree and Texas utilized him in many different ways on their defensive front. I don't get the notion that they did not "let" him rush the passer from the B gap. Is this to say that if it was a passing down and he was lined up in the B that they told him not to go after the QB? While it may not be as easy for him to get after the QB in the B gap (generally because he drew many double teams when he lined up in the B) that does not mean that he was not successful in the B gap. If your concern in 2 gapping is him seeing double teams then you must not have watched much tape of him as he consistently drew as many if not more double teams than Sweat did when they were both on the field.

If you like Byron Murphy check out some Kris Jenkins very similar prospect used in exactly the same way. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 10:18 PM)Synric Wrote: If you like Byron Murphy check out some Kris Jenkins very similar prospect used in exactly the same way. 

I have watched tape on Jenkins and did not come away nearly as impressed as I was with Murphy. He does not appear to be able to handle double teams nearly as well as Murphy does.
Reply/Quote
Without a signed vet in place on the roster, Blake Fisher makes me a bit nervous.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blake-fisher/32004649-5318-8380-1b6c-d98c454fff5d

Quote:Strengths

Explodes hips and hands into kick-out blocks for early lead.
Impressive agility with the ability to shine on combo blocks and lead pulls.
Might have leverage and power needed to dig out defensive tackles.
His hands work independently but they’re both wired to his feet in protection.
Mirrors crafty edge rushers with reactive athleticism and nimble feet.
Able to scramble and then unlock his hips to find his brace in recovery.

Weaknesses

Often the last out of his stance, putting him behind in his chores.
Allows his hands to be attacked when trying to fit up run blocks.
Miscalculates angles up to linebackers on cut-off blocks.
Needs to play with tighter hands and more consistent control in pass pro.
Occasional trouble opening outside hip to stay connected against speed at top of the rush. 

Sources Tell Us

“Fisher is the more naturally talented of the Notre Dame tackles, but (Joe) Alt is much more consistent and technically sound.” - AFC personnel executive

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 05:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Without a signed vet in place on the roster, Blake Fisher makes me a bit nervous.

This called reader is gone however U don’t address NT in your draft?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 07:11 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This called reader is gone however I don’t address it in your draft.

Hmm, you might need to be a little more specific. My mock draft sims are still there, if you want to go comment on one of them.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 07:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, you might need to be a little more specific. My mock draft sims are still there, if you want to go comment on one of them.

Fixed it
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 08:39 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Fixed it

Every mock I've made this season has addressed NT, usually with T'Vondre Sweat in the 2nd round.  However, I'm now warming up to the idea of others possibly being the NT pick.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every mock I've made this season has addressed NT, usually with T'Vondre Sweat in the 2nd round.  However, I'm now warming up to the idea of others possibly being the NT pick.

Who U warming up on very curious. And I quoted the wrong person in my
Initial post. My first post was supposed to be directed towards the owner of the thread. My b on that.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 08:08 PM)Synric Wrote: I am not as high on Byron Murphy as most (top 20). He was an excellent rotational nose tackle in the big 12 great first step leverage and core strength but you arent going to let him 2 gap in short yardage and Texas didnt let him rush the passer from the B Gap.

He won't be a 1T in the NFL.  3T all the way.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 08:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every mock I've made this season has addressed NT, usually with T'Vondre Sweat in the 2nd round.  However, I'm now warming up to the idea of others possibly being the NT pick.

It seems that many are fixated on size when it comes to the NT position and not abilities. They seem to forget about guys like Jarron Reed, Grady Jarrett, Harrison Phillips, Montravious Adams, and Andrew Billings who were all ranked within the top 10 NTs in '23.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 07:11 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: This called reader is gone however U don’t address NT in your draft?

Yeah it was addressed with the very first selection not sure of your confusion.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 05:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Without a signed vet in place on the roster, Blake Fisher makes me a bit nervous.

Does not make me nervous at all. He has put together outstanding tape against very good competition.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 06:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: It seems that many are fixated on size when it comes to the NT position and not abilities. They seem to forget about guys like Jarron Reed, Grady Jarrett, Harrison Phillips, Montravious Adams, and Andrew Billings who were all ranked within the top 10 NTs in '23.

As a Bengal fan we sometimes feel destined to expect players that performed well at and/or met with the team at Senior Bowl week. I guess that might be why I favor those guys in my mocks a little heavily.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote