Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reader is Gone MDD Simulation
With DJ Reader signing with Detroit the Bengals now have what should be a really clear focus on what the priorities need to be in this draft. They have done well in filling voids prior to the draft and have made some outstanding signings with Stone, Rankins, Gesicki, and bringing Bell home. Becton could still be a possibility as well as Tart. With these things in mind I believe I showed how the Bengals can really set themselves up for success in '24 and the not too distant future.

After the 1st round selection the Bengals initiated a trade to position themselves for a target player in the 2nd round below is the trade with the addition of the Bengals giving up a 5th round selection in '25. I am not sure why that did not show in the transaction.

The Trade:

The Draft:

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 18th Selection:
J.C. Latham - OL - Georgia - 6'6" 342
If the Bengals do not sign Becton then they have the most pro ready and highest graded offensive lineman in this years draft. He is ready to start on day 1 at RT if the need be. If the Bengals should happen to sign Becton then you have a RT ready to step in for injury or a guy with the skillset to be an outstanding guard as well. If the Bengals sign Becton and are set on him starting at RT they could let Latham compete for the starting left or right guard spot in an effort to put the best 5 linemen on the field. Latham is really a no lose situation for the Bengals and gives them either a future Pro Bowl caliber RT or guard.

RD. 2 - 42nd Selection:
T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4.5" 366
Even if the Bengals sign Tart I feel that this must be a priority move for them. True run stuffing NTs are very difficult to come by and Sweat is by far the best in this draft. We all know that stopping the run is a must in the AFC North and that task did not get any easier with Travis Henry joining the division. Sweat gives them a NT that has shown the ability to consistently stand up to and defeat double teams. When he is not winning against double teams he is keeping blockers off of other defenders and keeping them clean. While Sweat may not be touted as a pass rusher he was rather high in pressures and can absolutely disrupt the pocket for the QB.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:
Brenden Rice - WR - USC - 6'2" 208
Rice is a savvy and physical WR that simply scores TDs. Rice registered a TD every 5.2 receptions. While Rice does not have elite speed he has enough speed to test the backend of a defense and is able to create separation with sharp cuts and breaks and outstanding route running just like his father. Rice is extremely physical in contested catch situations and fights to win 50/50 balls. Rice should be an excellent addition to the Bengals wide receiver room.

RD. 3 - 97th Selection:
Zak Zinter - OL - Michigan - 6'6" 309
Zinter was by far the best player on the Michigan offensive line. He brings good size and length to the interior line and his high football IQ and skillset could lend him to becoming an outstanding center in the NFL. While he played guard at Michigan he has had extensive practice reps for the Wolverines snapping the ball. ZInter plays with near flawless technique. He is coming off a substantial leg break and the Bengals could give him a flyer for the '24 season and look for him to replace Karras in '25 when his contract is up.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection:
Mekhi Wingo - DT - LSU - 6'0" 284
Could Wingo be the 3 tech that the Bengals have been looking for since Geno? Ironically, he has drawn comparisons to Sheldon Rankins who he could be splitting time with. Wingo is a high motor and high effort player who absolutely explodes off the snap. Plays with outstanding leverage and shows 100% hustle until the whistle blows. This kid could be a force inside as he adds a bit more strength and technique at the NFL level.

RD. 5 - 149th Selection:
Elijah Jones - CB - Boston College - 6'1.5" 185
Jones is a ball hawk who brings good size, length, and speed to the position. Jones plays with good technique down the field and turns to locate the ball when in man coverage and does a nice job avoiding PI penalties. Experienced playing in both man and off coverage and has exceptional reaction and closing speed when playing zone. The Bengals need to add depth to the CB room and Jones should fit nicely.

RD. 6 - 194th Selection:
Ainias Smith - WR - Texas A&M - 5'9" 190
Smith is a playmaker that can be utilized in many fashions giving defenses that extra wrinkle that they must consider when game planning. He plays with outstanding strength for his size and is extremely elusive with the ball in his hands. I am not saying he is Deebo Samuels but he is a player that could be utilized in a similar fashion from lining up in the slot, on the outside, or even in the backfield. He is dangerous as a returner and could find his way onto the 53 on special teams. One more weapon for this formidable offense.

RD. 6 - 214th Selection:
Isaac Guerendo - RB - Louisville - 6'0" 221
Guerendo brings good size, speed, vision, and pass catching ability to the position and maybe most importantly he is a good pass protector. The Bengals appear to be set for the '24 season but having a player of his abilities in the room is never a bad thing especially for a team that is looking to elevate their running game and make it as dangerous as their passing game. This is a roster that a player like Guerendo could shock.

RD. 7 - 237th Selection:
Tanner McLachlan - TE - Arizone - 6'5" 244
McLachlan brings good size, speed, and length to the field and displayed really good hands at Arizona. He is a gritty player that works to get open and make himself available to the QB. He brings the effort and mentality to the field that every coach would like to see in every player that takes the field. Works very hard at finding tough yards once the ball is in his hands.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2024, 09:26 PM)OSUfan Wrote: RD. 1 - 18th Selection:
J.C. Latham - OL - Georgia - 6'6" 342
If the Bengals do not sign Becton then they have the most pro ready and highest graded offensive lineman in this years draft. He is ready to start on day 1 at RT if the need be. If the Bengals should happen to sign Becton then you have a RT ready to step in for injury or a guy with the skillset to be an outstanding guard as well. If the Bengals sign Becton and are set on him starting at RT they could let Latham compete for the starting left or right guard spot in an effort to put the best 5 linemen on the field. Latham is really a no lose situation for the Bengals and gives them either a future Pro Bowl caliber RT or guard.

RD. 2 - 42nd Selection:
T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4.5" 366
Even if the Bengals sign Tart I feel that this must be a priority move for them. True run stuffing NTs are very difficult to come by and Sweat is by far the best in this draft. We all know that stopping the run is a must in the AFC North and that task did not get any easier with Travis Henry joining the division. Sweat gives them a NT that has shown the ability to consistently stand up to and defeat double teams. When he is not winning against double teams he is keeping blockers off of other defenders and keeping them clean. While Sweat may not be touted as a pass rusher he was rather high in pressures and can absolutely disrupt the pocket for the QB.

RD. 3 - 80th Selection:
Brenden Rice - WR - USC - 6'2" 208
Rice is a savvy and physical WR that simply scores TDs. Rice registered a TD every 5.2 receptions. While Rice does not have elite speed he has enough speed to test the backend of a defense and is able to create separation with sharp cuts and breaks and outstanding route running just like his father. Rice is extremely physical in contested catch situations and fights to win 50/50 balls. Rice should be an excellent addition to the Bengals wide receiver room.

RD. 3 - 97th Selection:
Zak Zinter - OL - Michigan - 6'6" 309
Zinter was by far the best player on the Michigan offensive line. He brings good size and length to the interior line and his high football IQ and skillset could lend him to becoming an outstanding center in the NFL. While he played guard at Michigan he has had extensive practice reps for the Wolverines snapping the ball. ZInter plays with near flawless technique. He is coming off a substantial leg break and the Bengals could give him a flyer for the '24 season and look for him to replace Karras in '25 when his contract is up.

RD. 4 - 115th Selection:
Mekhi Wingo - DT - LSU - 6'0" 284
Could Wingo be the 3 tech that the Bengals have been looking for since Geno? Ironically, he has drawn comparisons to Sheldon Rankins who he could be splitting time with. Wingo is a high motor and high effort player who absolutely explodes off the snap. Plays with outstanding leverage and shows 100% hustle until the whistle blows. This kid could be a force inside as he adds a bit more strength and technique at the NFL level.

RD. 5 - 149th Selection:
Elijah Jones - CB - Boston College - 6'1.5" 185
Jones is a ball hawk who brings good size, length, and speed to the position. Jones plays with good technique down the field and turns to locate the ball when in man coverage and does a nice job avoiding PI penalties. Experienced playing in both man and off coverage and has exceptional reaction and closing speed when playing zone. The Bengals need to add depth to the CB room and Jones should fit nicely.

RD. 6 - 194th Selection:
Ainias Smith - WR - Texas A&M - 5'9" 190
Smith is a playmaker that can be utilized in many fashions giving defenses that extra wrinkle that they must consider when game planning. He plays with outstanding strength for his size and is extremely elusive with the ball in his hands. I am not saying he is Deebo Samuels but he is a player that could be utilized in a similar fashion from lining up in the slot, on the outside, or even in the backfield. He is dangerous as a returner and could find his way onto the 53 on special teams. One more weapon for this formidable offense.

RD. 6 - 214th Selection:
Isaac Guerendo - RB - Louisville - 6'0" 221
Guerendo brings good size, speed, vision, and pass catching ability to the position and maybe most importantly he is a good pass protector. The Bengals appear to be set for the '24 season but having a player of his abilities in the room is never a bad thing especially for a team that is looking to elevate their running game and make it as dangerous as their passing game. This is a roster that a player like Guerendo could shock.

RD. 7 - 237th Selection:
Tanner McLachlan - TE - Arizone - 6'5" 244
McLachlan brings good size, speed, and length to the field and displayed really good hands at Arizona. He is a gritty player that works to get open and make himself available to the QB. He brings the effort and mentality to the field that every coach would like to see in every player that takes the field. Works very hard at finding tough yards once the ball is in his hands.

Solid draft.. i think with no true tackle to tackle RB on roster, we might look to draft a RB in 4th round that can pound North and South
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2024, 10:10 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Solid draft.. i think with no true tackle to tackle RB on roster, we might look to draft a RB in 4th round that can pound North and South
I get what you are pointing to but I would respectfully disagree. We have had that back for several years now in Joe Mixon and our running game has not been truly frightening. I think more than a pounder we have needed what we have in Chase Brown and that is a kid that when a crease appears between the tackles that they can hit that hole with explosion and acceleration and exploiting that crease rather than having to put their head down and have to power thru the hole because they do not have the acceleration to hit it and test the second level of the defense.

However, Guerendo I believe is a guy that could add that physicality that you are speaking about and I could see a guy like Guerendo maybe pushing a Trayveon Williams off of the roster.
Reply/Quote
You really didn't need to put "with Reader gone" in the title. This is a great draft even if he was here.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2024, 07:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: You really didn't need to put "with Reader gone" in the title.  This is a great draft even if he was here.

Well thank you sir! 2.0 is getting ready to be posted and I believe it is better.
Reply/Quote
This is actually one heck of a good mock. I actually prefer it over 'Reader Gone 2.0'
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2024, 01:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This is actually one heck of a good mock. I actually prefer it over 'Reader Gone 2.0'

Anything remotely close to either one would make me really happy.
Reply/Quote