Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realistic 2020 Expectations
(05-01-2020, 12:51 PM)NCBengal Wrote: Burrows is not the QB everyone thought he was. Product of the system. AJ never plays for us again or Ross. The FAs are all busts and we do the 3-13. We draft at the top again and take Lawrence! That is the Bungles we all know and love.

Product of a pro system in which he won’t have to conform to now?
Reply/Quote
I expect 8-8 with an outside chance of the playoffs. Anything less is a disappointment.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 01:41 PM)J24 Wrote: Anything between 7-9 thru 11-5 to me is realistic.
1.) Having a rookie QB doesn't hold you back
2.) We can run the Ball
3.) D-Line is deep
4.) WR core is deep
The only thing that bothers me is the Offensive Line but the rest of the team seems ready for primetime. Let's see how healthy we can be this season though.

This. People always overestimate how long it takes to rebuild. In the NFL, teams turn it around in 1 year all the time. QB is the most important aspect to that, so a lot of it will fall on how good Burrow really is. We have some huge pieces returning from injury in AJ Green and Jonah Williams. We almost completely remade our LB's and secondary. On paper we should be infinitely better at stopping the run, which was probably our biggest weakness.

We have a lot of what if's with this team, but I agree that anything from 7-9 to 11-5 is pretty realistic. Anything less than 7 wins means something went very wrong. Anything more and we should throw a parade. Right now, I'd put the over/under at 9 wins.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 10:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To me, it boils down to one simple thing:  Health.

If AJ Green, John Ross, and Joe Burrow are healthy all season, this team makes the playoffs.  I am predicting that will happen with a 10-6 record.

It is going to be a tough division, but I can see them splitting with the AFC North, and getting 7 wins out of the remaining 10 games.  Once the playoffs start, it will be crazy around here.  Burrow will grow and develop throughout the season and the team should really be hitting its stride ny year's end.

I also am predicting the subsequent explosion of the heads of the following ass clowns:

Mike Florio
Colin Cowherd
Stephen A. Smith

Yes, have to stay healthy. If we do stay healthy for the most part I think anything can happen.

This was one hell of an Offseason. Couldn't of put together a better team in one Offseason IMO.

Lol hope all those ass clown's heads explode, bastids. Smirk

(05-01-2020, 12:51 PM)NCBengal Wrote: Burrows is not the QB everyone thought he was.  Product of the system. AJ never plays for us again or Ross. The FAs are all busts and we do the 3-13. We draft at the top again and take Lawrence! That is the Bungles we all know and love.

Don't even know what to take from this... Rolleyes

(05-01-2020, 01:01 PM)Wyche Wrote: Absolutely agree. I think an 8-8 record would be a fantastic turnaround. So long as Burrow is as advertised....and Jonah Williams....I think the team will be competitive, but I'm not sure it'll be a contender. Now, if Burrow comes in and has the best rookie campaign ever? All bets are off. Who knows where we'd end up. I expect some growing pains, even with a prospect as good as Joe. It's just the nature of the beast. 

If Burrow is as advertised we are going to win at least 9 games regardless IMO.

He will need help though, the coaching will have to improve big time. What I love about Burrow is he just doesn't take no
shit and he doesn't make excuses, he keeps himself and everyone around him accountable. Couldn't of got a better QB to 
build your team around.
Reply/Quote
My realistic expectations are 6-8 wins. If Burrow comes in with a potentially shortened training camp and offseason, and improves the team by 4 wins (even with all the additions we have), that's a great start.

I wouldn't put it past them to get 10 wins, just don't really expect it.

I may be in the minority here, but I could actually see the Browns win the division. I will certainly hope that's not the case, but Mayfield has been taking accountability for his mouth this offseason, and he may just be maturing. Not to mention their offensive line additions and pick up of Austin Hooper to an already solid WR and TE core. Plus OBJ being healthy (instead of a sports hernia last year) will help them. I hope I'm wrong, and they find a way to screw it up again, but the Browns are a threat now. For the division.

IMO Ravens won't win division this year. League DC's would have found a way to slow down the Lamar Jackson running threat, and I don't see him making drastic improvements in his passing to make them pay. Even though they may have improved their team, if Jackson can be slowed down (or even stopped), that team is just not the same.

We might be in a battle for 3rd with the Steelers.

I hope I'm wrong about everything above, and we win the division and our first playoff game in a long time this year. I just don't expect it. But still, I'm encouraged by everything the team has done this offseason, and even more excited about Joe's future. How he'll end up is something to be seen. I am not going to anoint him as the next great Hall of Fame QB yet. But I hope he becomes that and I'm excited for the Bengals right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 12:39 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I know we're all excited about the season, and rightfully so. We have a new face of the franchise, spent the most money ever in free agency to bring in quality players, and have some talent on both sides of the ball.

The question: What are your realistic expectations this season in terms of wins and losses?

This is going to be far from a normal off-season. No rookie mini-camp, no OTA's, no team mini-camp, and possibly a delayed or abbreviated training camp. I'm not sure that bodes well for a team that will have several new starters on defense, 2 or 3 new starters on the offensive line, and a rookie QB under center. It's hard to replace the physical reps that come with being on the field.

With all that said, I think a realistic goal for this team is
8-8. It's going to be tough in the division. Every team improved themselves, and if Ben returns to form (that's a big if at his age) it'll be a dog fight to win 3 division games for this team. I'll be ecstatic if they can get to 8 wins and build toward a playoff appearance in 2021. Of course, I'll gladly hope to be wrong and wish for double digit wins.

I am not sure why you placed realistic in your title? It seems you are afraid Burrow will be held accountable and you don't like it.

We had best off season maybe ever. There is no reason why we can't go 10-6 and make playoffs with the infusion of talent to a vet talented team. My predictions always assume we don;t lose guys like Green and Williams to injury for the entire year. So, with a decent year of health for a change, I think 10-6 is very realistic and doable.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Id like to see a playoff win. With all the moves we made I think its realistic. I also think it’s realistic to see growing pains this year as our young offensive line and qb learn a bit. I would say low expectations would be 7 wins, high expectations a playoff win.
Reply/Quote
It depends...is Jonah Williams the stud LT we’re all automatically penciling him in as? Does ZT learn how to call plays better? Does AJ stay healthy all season?

I will say I think a playoff win is completely unrealistic. How many teams have gone from worst in the NFL to winning a playoff game the very next season? I’m as happy about our FA as anyone, but let’s remember that most teams do that all the time. We’re playing catch-up because we allowed the team to fall apart so badly. Hell, with all the moves we made we still didn’t even have the largest FA. Iirc we were 3rd.

Lots of other teams got better, too. Including Baltimore and Cleveland. And Pittsburgh gets Ben back. It’s going to be a really tough division this year.

Reply/Quote
9-7 wildcard winner
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2020, 10:32 AM)grampahol Wrote: Assuming that there will even be a season at all, and it's looking less likely by the hour there will be, but just to indulge ourselves for no other reason than nothing else to do why not go for bust? They go undefeated and win the whole thing. Is it possible? Sure, why not?  We got Borrow, Higgins, Mixon, AJ and a cast of thousands..we've also taken just too many for the league so it's our damned turn.  So there!  

It's funny you mention that; because I get amused that people say "Burrow isn't gonna have rookie mini camp, OTAs, a training camp, and maybe a shortened preseason.". I'ma go on a limb and say that if that's the case he's more than likely not gonna have a season either. It'll be very telling to see what happens with MLB, the NBA, and NHL here in the next month or so.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Depends on health and OL. I'll say 8-8, a big improvement over our record last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes, have to stay healthy. If we do stay healthy for the most part I think anything can happen.

This was one hell of an Offseason. Couldn't of put together a better team in one Offseason IMO.

Lol hope all those ass clown's heads explode, bastids. Smirk

Don't even know what to take from this... Rolleyes

If Burrow is as advertised we are going to win at least 9 games regardless IMO.

He will need help though, the coaching will have to improve big time. What I love about Burrow is he just doesn't take no
shit and he doesn't make excuses, he keeps himself and everyone around him accountable. Couldn't of got a better QB to 
build your team around.

To me, this season will tell the tale about coaching. Last season was an evaluation year....it was always going to be that. When you look at the off-season last year compared to this, it becomes much more clear that was the case. They were going to run their schemes and see where the chips fell.

A Marvin Lewis team was going to look drastically different from a Zac Taylor team. Marvin Lewis' team was fading fast to begin with. I saw a few questionable calls last season, but I also saw many plays that looked like very good ideas/timing and the personnel couldn't execute it.

So, from that perspective, they have flushed out the guys they didn't want, brought in a lot of FA help, and have drafted accordingly. There are still holes all over the place. We don't know how our o line is going to look yet. Guaranteed 9 wins with a rookie QB is a stretch as I see it (wasn't Peyton 3-13?)....but you may be right. That's why I'm saying 8-8 is a fantastic turnaround. When you step back and look at the big picture.... that's a whale of an improvement. Anything above that is gravy from my viewpoint. Less than 6-7 wins, and the FO has to do a serious evaluation of the staff, IMO.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 07:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: To me, this season will tell the tale about coaching. Last season was an evaluation year....it was always going to be that. When you look at the off-season last year compared to this, it becomes much more clear that was the case. They were going to run their schemes and see where the chips fell.

A Marvin Lewis team was going to look drastically different from a Zac Taylor team. Marvin Lewis' team was fading fast to begin with. I saw a few questionable calls last season, but I also saw many plays that looked like very good ideas/timing and the personnel couldn't execute it.

So, from that perspective, they have flushed out the guys they didn't want, brought in a lot of FA help, and have drafted accordingly. There are still holes all over the place. We don't know how our o line is going to look yet. Guaranteed 9 wins with a rookie QB is a stretch as I see it (wasn't Peyton 3-13?)....but you may be right. That's why I'm saying 8-8 is a fantastic turnaround. When you step back and look at the big picture.... that's a whale of an improvement. Anything above that is gravy from my viewpoint. Less than 6-7 wins, and the FO has to do a serious evaluation of the staff, IMO.

Well said Wyche as usual. The one thing about Burrow that really stands out to me is the way he wants to prove every doubting
Thomas wrong. I see and hope that he does like he did last year at LSU. He still has doubters, he is just a rookie, just a one year 
wonder, he had such great weapons, he had such a great O-line at LSU (lol) etc.

We better win at least 7 games this next season or some heads should roll.

The FO has never helped out a coach this much in my life as a Bengals fan which has been 30 years or so.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2020, 07:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well said Wyche as usual. The one thing about Burrow that really stands out to me is the way he wants to prove every doubting
Thomas wrong. I see and hope that he does like he did last year at LSU. He still has doubters, he is just a rookie, just a one year 
wonder, he had such great weapons, he had such a great O-line at LSU (lol) etc.

We better win at least 7 games this next season or some heads should roll.

The FO has never helped out a coach this much in my life as a Bengals fan which has been 30 years or so.

Absolutely agree.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Lets look at our schedule on paper right now im thinking 7-9 to 9-7 with some guesses below that come to 8-8

AFC North: Baltimore (LL) Pitt(W/L) Browns (W/W) 3-3

NFC East: Away: Washington ( Win) Phil (L) Home: Dallas (likely L) Giants (W) 2-2

AFC South: Away: Colts (likely loss) Houston (L) Home: Jacksonville (W), Titans (likely L) 1-3

Chargers: Home (W) Miami Away (win) 2-0
Reply/Quote
So 2020 will actually be Zac's rookie season as a HC?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2020, 04:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure why you placed realistic in your title? It seems you are afraid Burrow will be held accountable and you don't like it.

We had best off season maybe ever. There is no reason why we can't go 10-6 and make playoffs with the infusion of talent to a vet talented team. My predictions always assume we don;t lose guys like Green and Williams to injury for the entire year. So, with a decent year of health for a change, I think 10-6 is very realistic and doable.

WTF are you even talking about? Afraid Burrow will be held accountable?

Any professional athlete should be held accountable, but REALISTICALLY speaking, it is rare to almost non-existent for a rookie QB to come in as the No. 1 overall pick to the worst team in football the previous year and lead them to the playoffs in his first season. Regardless of how good Burrow is (and I think he's the real deal) there is a learning curve to playing QB in the NFL.

The fact that this is going to be FAR from a normal off-season matters greatly, especially to a rookie QB and many new starters on the defense. You cannot replace on-field reps, and those reps will be severely limited with no mini-camps, OTA's and who knows how training camp will shake out.

So combine the fact of a rookie QB not getting as many reps with players he has never worked with, several new defensive starters not getting as many reps together in a defensive system they have never played in, and it means people better have REALISTIC expectations of this team that finished 2-14 last season.

We can all hope for a 10 win season and playoff appearance, I just don't think it's likely to happen. To each their own though.
Reply/Quote
Very weak schedule outside the North so that makes a shock season possible. Shock in a good way. Given the significant infusion of talent on both sides of the ball, wins should be more common, it just depends upon injuries as always. Stay healthy and the offense should score while the defense wins some games for a change. I think 8-8 is reasonable given the quality of opposition.
Reply/Quote
This team could go 3 and 3 in the North and easily
Win 6 to 7 games outside the North
The match ups outside the North aren't exactly
The 72 Dolphins or 2019 Chiefs
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2020, 03:30 PM)jason Wrote: Then some of those coaches need to be shown the door. There is too much talent on this team to not be able to hover around 500, and be competitive week in and week out.

11-5 deep into the playoffs,and a strong possibly we are dancing for the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP,We got winning Joe,nuff said. :andy: :andy: :andy: :an:andy: :andy:

ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp  Every game will be sold out,WELCOME TO OUR JUNGLE. :andy:
Reply/Quote