Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Realistic GM considerations
What are realistic GM options for the Bengals once Mike Brown retires? Let us assume that Mike Brown retires after this year, who should the Bengals hire for GM?

I do not want to hear how no one will come to Cincinnati; use another thread to vent.

Here are some candidates:

Mike Borgonzi, director of football operations, Chiefs: Borgonzi is now in the position Ballard once held and works hand-in-hand with GM Brett Veach, with whom he shared a title two years ago working under John Dorsey. Borgonzi could very easily have been named GM in Kansas City, and will eventually get his shot to be one.

Nick Caserio, VP of player personnel, Patriots: The question with Caserio has never been whether he could get a job, but whether he’d ever leave Foxboro. Could a team like Miami, which got Caserio to interview in 2016, take another swing? Another benefit of hiring Caserio could be “character coach” Jack Easterby coming with him.

Ed Dodds, assistant GM, Colts: Dodds was quietly considered Seahawks GM John Schneider’s secret weapon for years. And it took someone with Ballard’s institutional knowledge to come in and poach him. Word’s out now. Dodds is not only a top evaluator for the Colts but also helps Ballard run trades.

George Paton, assistant GM, Vikings: Paton’s now become sort of what Ballard was a couple years ago—a highly respected long-time No. 2 who’s been patient. Which means it’ll take the right team to pry him from Minnesota. Somehow, the Vikings have combined one of the league’s most talented rosters with a very healthy cap situation over the last few years, and Paton’s been in the thick of all of it.

Peyton Manning, No GM experience but was considered a player with coaching knowledge. Also, Marvin Lewis may make a good GM.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Marvin Lewis if he wanted it, and was given free rein.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Here are my top candidates:

-Mike Brown - Owner/GM Bengals - He has experience. He's been the GM since 1991.
-Duke Tobin - Familiar working in the current Bengals management scheme.

That's the only 2 candidates I have.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are my top candidates:

-Mike Brown - Owner/GM Bengals - He has experience. He's been the GM since 1991.
-Duke Tobin - Familiar working in the current Bengals management scheme.

That's the only 2 candidates I have.

Sometimes your posts do not help...This counts as passive-aggressive vent post....
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Looks like Mel Kiper Jr is our GM:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
I wish we could get Tony Romo. I don’t know that I’ve ever been as impressed by someone talking about the game as I have by him during some of his broadcasts.

I look at what John Lynch is doing out in SF, and think a former player might be the way to go.

No whether he would take the job is another story...

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wish we could get Tony Romo. I don’t know that I’ve ever been as impressed by someone talking about the game as I have by him during some of his broadcasts.

I look at what John Lynch is doing out in SF, and think a former player might be the way to go.

No whether he would take the job is another story...

I wanted Tony Romo and almost added him to the list.  I think Manning or Romo would certainly spark interest but Romo may be too nice of guy to cut players.   
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What are realistic GM options for the Bengals once Mike Brown retires?  Let us assume that Mike Brown retires after this year, who should the Bengals hire for GM?

I do not want to hear how no one will come to Cincinnati; use another thread to vent.  

Here are some candidates:

Mike Borgonzi, director of football operations, Chiefs: Borgonzi is now in the position Ballard once held and works hand-in-hand with GM Brett Veach, with whom he shared a title two years ago working under John Dorsey. Borgonzi could very easily have been named GM in Kansas City, and will eventually get his shot to be one.

Nick Caserio, VP of player personnel, Patriots: The question with Caserio has never been whether he could get a job, but whether he’d ever leave Foxboro. Could a team like Miami, which got Caserio to interview in 2016, take another swing? Another benefit of hiring Caserio could be “character coach” Jack Easterby coming with him.

Ed Dodds, assistant GM, Colts: Dodds was quietly considered Seahawks GM John Schneider’s secret weapon for years. And it took someone with Ballard’s institutional knowledge to come in and poach him. Word’s out now. Dodds is not only a top evaluator for the Colts but also helps Ballard run trades.

George Paton, assistant GM, Vikings: Paton’s now become sort of what Ballard was a couple years ago—a highly respected long-time No. 2 who’s been patient. Which means it’ll take the right team to pry him from Minnesota. Somehow, the Vikings have combined one of the league’s most talented rosters with a very healthy cap situation over the last few years, and Paton’s been in the thick of all of it.

Peyton Manning, No GM experience but was considered a player with coaching knowledge. Also, Marvin Lewis may make a good GM.

What makes you think Katie will hire a GM when Mike decides to retire?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 03:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Sometimes your posts do not help...This counts as passive-aggressive vent post....

It's more sarcasm. I don't see them making a change is what I'm saying.

We could name GM's. Head Coaches. Top Players to sign. It's not how this team operates.

When you say realistic...mine are the most realistic.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I wanted Tony Romo and almost added him to the list.  I think Manning or Romo would certainly spark interest but Romo may be too nice of guy to cut players.   

Or maybe Romo has a better job right now as a commentator.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's more sarcasm. I don't see them making a change is what I'm saying.

We could name GM's. Head Coaches. Top Players to sign. It's not how this team operates.

When you say realistic...mine are the most realistic.

The premise is that Mike Brown will retire after this year.  So go with that premise.  also, sarcasm is passive-aggressive humor.    
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:26 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The premise is that Mike Brown will retire after this year.  So go with that premise.  also, sarcasm is passive-aggressive humor.    

Ok. I'll play along with this fantasy. Yes making a premise about something that won't happen is a fantasy.  Hilarious 

Jeff Ireland, assistant GM, Saints: Remember him? The ex-Dolphins GM has absolutely crushed it under Mickey Loomis. New Orleans’ last three draft classes, and the 2017 group in particular, have a chance to shape the franchise for years to come. Ireland, who works the college side hard, has fingerprints all over that.

While we're at it, there's no cap on coaching. I'd throw like $10 million a year at a coach like Bill Cowher to try to get him here.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:24 PM)Fullrock Wrote: What makes you think Katie will hire a GM when Mike decides to retire?

I think She wants more of a modern approach to run the team.  She was quoted as such when she stated that she believed the Bengals could match the Ravens and Steelers organization.  Of course nothing will happen with Mike Brown involved.  He has to retire and be removed from the equation.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Ok. I'll play along with this fantasy. Yes making a premise about something that won't happen is a fantasy.  Hilarious 

Jeff Ireland, assistant GM, Saints: Remember him? The ex-Dolphins GM has absolutely crushed it under Mickey Loomis. New Orleans’ last three draft classes, and the 2017 group in particular, have a chance to shape the franchise for years to come. Ireland, who works the college side hard, has fingerprints all over that.

While we're at it, there's no cap on coaching. I'd throw like $10 million a year at a coach like Bill Cowher to try to get him here.

I liked Ireland.  
What about Tony Romo as head coach??? Hmm
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Kirk Herbstreit
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I liked Ireland.  

Romo is not going to leave his cushy job in the booth to come here. People know the Bengals basically set people up to fail.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:32 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I liked Ireland.  

I think you'd have a better shot with Boomer taking an Elway-type role or Collinsworth.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:35 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Kirk Herbstreit

Interesting.   ThumbsUp
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think you'd have a better shot with Boomer taking an Elway-type role or Collinsworth.

I cannot stand Collinsworth any longer.  Boomer seems disengaged from football.  One can tell he no longer loves his work.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think you'd have a better shot with Boomer taking an Elway-type role or Collinsworth.

Boomer hates this organization. He’s never come back here.

Reply/Quote