Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Realistic GM considerations
(10-21-2019, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve already given an example in this thread of a first time GM having some success in John Lynch. His 9ers are the best team in the NFC. Sure, a lot of it is probably Kyle Shanahan, but that team is pretty well constructed across the board. And he’s only been at it a couple years now.

Would you say that this is the general rule of thumb or more of an exception to the rule?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:48 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Would you say that this is the general rule of thumb or more of an exception to the rule?

It’s a copycat league. If Lynch continues to have success, you will see more ex-players as GM’s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What are realistic GM options for the Bengals once Mike Brown retires? Let us assume that Mike Brown retires after this year, who should the Bengals hire for GM?

I do not want to hear how no one will come to Cincinnati; use another thread to vent.

Here are some candidates:

Mike Borgonzi, director of football operations, Chiefs: Borgonzi is now in the position Ballard once held and works hand-in-hand with GM Brett Veach, with whom he shared a title two years ago working under John Dorsey. Borgonzi could very easily have been named GM in Kansas City, and will eventually get his shot to be one.

Nick Caserio, VP of player personnel, Patriots: The question with Caserio has never been whether he could get a job, but whether he’d ever leave Foxboro. Could a team like Miami, which got Caserio to interview in 2016, take another swing? Another benefit of hiring Caserio could be “character coach” Jack Easterby coming with him.

Ed Dodds, assistant GM, Colts: Dodds was quietly considered Seahawks GM John Schneider’s secret weapon for years. And it took someone with Ballard’s institutional knowledge to come in and poach him. Word’s out now. Dodds is not only a top evaluator for the Colts but also helps Ballard run trades.

George Paton, assistant GM, Vikings: Paton’s now become sort of what Ballard was a couple years ago—a highly respected long-time No. 2 who’s been patient. Which means it’ll take the right team to pry him from Minnesota. Somehow, the Vikings have combined one of the league’s most talented rosters with a very healthy cap situation over the last few years, and Paton’s been in the thick of all of it.

Peyton Manning, No GM experience but was considered a player with coaching knowledge. Also, Marvin Lewis may make a good GM.

I want Peyton as OC not GM.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:53 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a copycat league. If Lynch continues to have success, you will see more ex-players as GM’s.

That’s true!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: In your hypothetical scenario...I'd be for that. I just don't see the GM/HC model working too great...but hey it's way better than what we have now.

But, I never said a word about the GM also being the HC.  In my hypothetical situation, the HC and Urban Meyer work in coordination, to achieve the goal of a championship team.   ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 06:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Scot McCloughan

Who is this person?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But, I never said a word about the GM also being the HC.  In my hypothetical situation, the HC and Urban Meyer work in coordination, to achieve the goal of a championship team.   ThumbsUp

What worries me about Meyer is he tends to not be committed due to health concerns.  Bengals need a young up comer that will stick it out.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Who is this person?

A brilliant personnel manager and scout with a huge alcohol problem
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 10:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What worries me about Meyer is he tends to not be committed due to health concerns.  Bengals need a young up comer that will stick it out.  

Well, his health concerns always seem to crop up when there's issues with his programs.  Amazing how that happens.

Meyer has health concerns, character concerns, and no experience with cap management whatsoever.  Hard pass.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Urban Meyer.  Yeah, some of you think that I might be making a joke, but I'm serious.  Given full control over personnel, scouting, draft, and coach hirings/firings, he could build us into a Patriots like dynasty.

So you think a guy with ZERO experience in the NFL could build the Bengals into a Patriots like dynasty? I just fell off my chair laughing. 

You Ohio State homers are something else. Meyer has done absolutely nothing to make anyone believe he could be a successful NFL GM.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What are realistic GM options for the Bengals once Mike Brown retires?  Let us assume that Mike Brown retires after this year, who should the Bengals hire for GM?

I do not want to hear how no one will come to Cincinnati; use another thread to vent.  

Here are some candidates:

Mike Borgonzi, director of football operations, Chiefs: Borgonzi is now in the position Ballard once held and works hand-in-hand with GM Brett Veach, with whom he shared a title two years ago working under John Dorsey. Borgonzi could very easily have been named GM in Kansas City, and will eventually get his shot to be one.

Nick Caserio, VP of player personnel, Patriots: The question with Caserio has never been whether he could get a job, but whether he’d ever leave Foxboro. Could a team like Miami, which got Caserio to interview in 2016, take another swing? Another benefit of hiring Caserio could be “character coach” Jack Easterby coming with him.

Ed Dodds, assistant GM, Colts: Dodds was quietly considered Seahawks GM John Schneider’s secret weapon for years. And it took someone with Ballard’s institutional knowledge to come in and poach him. Word’s out now. Dodds is not only a top evaluator for the Colts but also helps Ballard run trades.

George Paton, assistant GM, Vikings: Paton’s now become sort of what Ballard was a couple years ago—a highly respected long-time No. 2 who’s been patient. Which means it’ll take the right team to pry him from Minnesota. Somehow, the Vikings have combined one of the league’s most talented rosters with a very healthy cap situation over the last few years, and Paton’s been in the thick of all of it.

Peyton Manning, No GM experience but was considered a player with coaching knowledge. Also, Marvin Lewis may make a good GM.

Realistic?

1.  Katie Blackburn
2.  Troy Blackburn
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Boomer hates this organization. He’s never come back here.

He's probably the highest profile Bengal to have ever returned (sorry Chris Crocker fans).
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 01:20 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Realistic?

1.  Katie Blackburn
2.  Troy Blackburn

3. One of Katie and Try's kids
4. One of Lippincott's kids
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 12:02 PM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: He's probably the highest profile Bengal to have ever returned (sorry Chris Crocker fans).

He has a good paying job now though. And he can barely hide his contempt for the Bengals. I can’t see him ever working for this organization again in any capacity.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are my top candidates:

-Mike Brown - Owner/GM Bengals - He has experience. He's been the GM since 1991.
-Duke Tobin - Familiar working in the current Bengals management scheme.

That's the only 2 candidates I have.

Tiger Those are the only 2 that count...Ba dum bump.

I'll be here all week folks... 
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer.

He bled orange and black for this team and I would love to see him get all of the things Mikey Boy refused him.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why would you wanna hire someone to a position that they’ve never had before and that they need to learn on the job? That’s what’s happening with the coaching right now!

He's spent his entire career putting teams together...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve already given an example in this thread of a first time GM having some success in John Lynch. His 9ers are the best team in the NFC. Sure, a lot of it is probably Kyle Shanahan, but that team is pretty well constructed across the board. And he’s only been at it a couple years now.

He's the one who hired Shannahan though... Not to mention he totally rebuilt that defensive line through the draft. He was hitting it hard, and built a monster unit.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote