Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Realistic GM considerations
(10-21-2019, 04:35 PM)scorp1974 Wrote: Kirk Herbstreit

Hope you like the words tempo and fast twitch muscle. For my own part I’m gonna be a hard pass on frosted tips.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think you'd have a better shot with Boomer taking an Elway-type role or Collinsworth.

The only reason I hire Collinsworth is so I can fire him as soon as he signs the contract. I’ll even provide a signing bonus.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are my top candidates:

-Mike Brown - Owner/GM Bengals - He has experience. He's been the GM since 1991.
-Duke Tobin - Familiar working in the current Bengals management scheme.

That's the only 2 candidates I have.

The only two with a chance of being selected
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think She wants more of a modern approach to run the team.  She was quoted as such when she stated that she believed the Bengals could match the Ravens and Steelers organization.  Of course nothing will happen with Mike Brown involved.  He has to retire and be removed from the equation.  

This is wishful thinking and too easy on Katie.

Her husband is the guy who got all bent out of shape when ignorant and mean fans dared to criticize their wisdom of re-signing Hart.

They should have hired a football guy as an empowered GM , adequate scouting resources, and a practice facility years ago. The lack of all of these things is symptomatic of the rot that exists throughout the leadership.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 01:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here are my top candidates:

-Mike Brown - Owner/GM Bengals - He has experience. He's been the GM since 1991.
-Duke Tobin - Familiar working in the current Bengals management scheme.

That's the only 2 candidates I have.

Realistically, these two are the only two choices.  I haven't read anywhere where it says Mike Brown is retiring or stepping down.  I think he probably got Zac on the cheap as well as his OC and DC, so if anything I think MB's power may have actually increased.  Experienced coaches are going to want control and that wasn't something MB had to give up when he hired Zac so it was a perfect fit.

MB's fingerprints are all over our offseason and I don't think anyone has to look that hard to figure that out.  He's not going anywhere real soon and neither are the Bengals.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Scot McCloughan
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
DUKE TOBIN IS THE GM
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:24 PM)Fullrock Wrote: What makes you think Katie will hire a GM when Mike decides to retire?

Katie has stated as much in interviews.  
Reply/Quote
Urban Meyer. Yeah, some of you think that I might be making a joke, but I'm serious. Given full control over personnel, scouting, draft, and coach hirings/firings, he could build us into a Patriots like dynasty.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 07:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Katie has stated as much in interviews.  

Cool, I'd really like to read that.  Do you have a link?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think She wants more of a modern approach to run the team.  She was quoted as such when she stated that she believed the Bengals could match the Ravens and Steelers organization.  Of course nothing will happen with Mike Brown involved.  He has to retire and be removed from the equation.  

Mikey once said he wanted to emulate the Steelers as well which once again is comical.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 05:59 PM)bengals67 Wrote: This is wishful thinking and too easy on Katie.

Her husband is the guy who got all bent out of shape when ignorant and mean fans dared to criticize their wisdom of re-signing Hart.

They should have hired a football guy as an empowered GM , adequate scouting resources, and a practice facility years ago. The lack of all of these things is symptomatic of the rot that exists throughout the leadership.

That moment was a fantastic example of what the Bengals ownership is. How could anyone in their right mind think that Hart was on the verge of even being slightly decent? The whole fanbase could already see that he sucked but the Bengals couldn’t see that? Seriously? That right there sums up the Bengals. I honestly believe that 90% on here could run the organization better than how it operates.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Urban Meyer. Yeah, some of you think that I might be making a joke, but I'm serious. Given full control over personnel, scouting, draft, and coach hirings/firings, he could build us into a Patriots like dynasty.

Why would you wanna hire someone to a position that they’ve never had before and that they need to learn on the job? That’s what’s happening with the coaching right now!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 04:19 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wish we could get Tony Romo. I don’t know that I’ve ever been as impressed by someone talking about the game as I have by him during some of his broadcasts.

I look at what John Lynch is doing out in SF, and think a former player might be the way to go.

No whether he would take the job is another story...

I don’t think a GM salary even from a team that actually cares will make what he’s going to get whenever his current contract is up. I don’t know anyone that isn’t impressed by him. I mute virtually every game except his and Aikmans. Must be a Dallas QB thing.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 07:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Urban Meyer.  Yeah, some of you think that I might be making a joke, but I'm serious.  Given full control over personnel, scouting, draft, and coach hirings/firings, he could build us into a Patriots like dynasty.

I don't see them giving anyone full control. They seem to like to micromanage their coaches.

It's why Coughlin wasn't our coach in 2003 or whenever we hired Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why would you wanna hire someone to a position that they’ve never had before and that they need to learn on the job? That’s what’s happening with the coaching right now!

Because, in the college game, Head Coaches are = to General Managers in the NFL.  They dictate the entire program.  They have a vision of the team that they want to present, and then get to control every aspect from talent evaluation to recruiting, to coaching techniques taught to the talent that they selected, to implementing the game plan they devised.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't see them giving anyone full control. They seem to like to micromanage their coaches.

It's why Coughlin wasn't our coach in 2003 or whenever we hired Marvin.

I thought that the premise of the OP was to imagine if Mike Brown retired, and Katie decided to go a new direction with how the team was managed?  You're still responding in present day tenses.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:29 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why would you wanna hire someone to a position that they’ve never had before and that they need to learn on the job? That’s what’s happening with the coaching right now!

I’ve already given an example in this thread of a first time GM having some success in John Lynch. His 9ers are the best team in the NFC. Sure, a lot of it is probably Kyle Shanahan, but that team is pretty well constructed across the board. And he’s only been at it a couple years now.

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Because, in the college game, Head Coaches are = to General Managers in the NFL.  They dictate the entire program.  They have a vision of the team that they want to present, and then get to control every aspect from talent evaluation to recruiting, to coaching techniques taught to the talent that they selected, to implementing the game plan they devised.

So, most of the former successful NFL GM’s were College Head Coaches?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2019, 09:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I thought that the premise of the OP was to imagine if Mike Brown retired, and Katie decided to go a new direction with how the team was managed?  You're still responding in present day tenses.

In your hypothetical scenario...I'd be for that. I just don't see the GM/HC model working too great...but hey it's way better than what we have now.
Reply/Quote